Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 4 Sep 2010, 09:55 (Ref:2754384)   #1
Cerberus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cerberus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New recruit - waterproof jacket question

Hi,

Motivated by the re-opening of my local circuit, Donington Park, I have just joined the BMMC. I just need to get my clothing ordered, thankfully I already have boots, gloves etc, and nomex underwer from my racing days many years ago. But I have a question regarding waterproof jackets and I would appreciate some experienced advice please from those of you who have spend many wet and windy days out on the bank.

The BMMC supplier listed in thier clothing pdf shows a couple of different jackets, the 'Value warm waterproof jacket in orange' and the 'Four season traffic jacket' Would it be wise to spend the extra on the Four seasons jacket?

Is it worth getting some waterproof trousers as well while I am at it. I would rather get everything at once instead of standing on the bank thinking 'If only I had this, that and the other'

As soon as I've got my clothing order sorted I can get my volunteer form sent off and then the learning begins.

I guess it will be obvious who I am out on the bank. The one with the brand new extra bright orange kit.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2754387)   #2
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure of price from BMMC without looking, just got my wife( also a newbie) one off fleabay, £19 delivered, next day. Kept her dry last Sunday at Harewood.
Place also lists trousers but not sure of price.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Quality-Hi...item9757226ad9
Old 4 Sep 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2754391)   #3
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I just shopped around workwear websites & got jacket & trousers for about £27 delivered. You should definately get trousers if funds permit-rain tends to arrive horizontally at racetracks & there's nothing worse than wet legs!
Old 4 Sep 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2754392)   #4
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
The obvious answer is you don't want to be standing out in the rain for hours on end, feeling wet and cold. Equally you need to consider your working environment (climbing over metal barriers, sharp edges on crashed cars,etc) that can quickly rip clothing if you are unlucky.

Therefore I would suggest you get medium priced items for the time being, and that does include trousers too.

Don't worry about the bright orange of your overalls, we have ways of making them dirty!!!!!!!
Old 4 Sep 2010, 10:45 (Ref:2754396)   #5
Cerberus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Many thanks for the quick responses, I've got a couple of workwear places nearby so I will pay them a visit next week to compare prices.

'Don't worry about the bright orange of your overalls, we have ways of making them dirty!!!!!!!
'

Thanks Steve, I guess they will not stay clean for long.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 12:36 (Ref:2754430)   #6
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would recommend breathable versions so that you don't get wet from the inside. Workwear stores may do these for only a couple of pounds more.
I think my coat and trousers (breathable) cost in the region of £35-40.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 14:58 (Ref:2754465)   #7
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Many thanks for the quick responses, I've got a couple of workwear places nearby so I will pay them a visit next week to compare prices.

'Don't worry about the bright orange of your overalls, we have ways of making them dirty!!!!!!!
'

Thanks Steve, I guess they will not stay clean for long.
Cerberus,
if you an XL/XXL, fat b.....d, usual marshal size, I may be able to help you with the jacket.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2754468)   #8
RCMADD
Racer

England
derby
RCMADD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if your local..then a trip to the market at donington will be a good idea.. i got a jacket from there for £15.. very thick and warm/water resitstant.(nothing but a dry suit is water proof at a racetrack)

and yes get some trousers as well.. if the rain isnt horizontal..it does drip off the jacket.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2754475)   #9
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also it is surprising by just putting waterproof trousers on when it is very cold and windy, but dry, how quickly you warm up, well worth investing in a pair that have zipped sides up to the knees as it makes it much more easier to put them on if you are already wearing a heavy coat and boots, just a thought.

Bladders.........
Old 4 Sep 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2754499)   #10
Cerberus
Rookie

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
Cerberus,
if you an XL/XXL, fat b.....d, usual marshal size, I may be able to help you with the jacket.
Thank you for the offer but I am Small/Medium in most clothing.

Looks like I have plenty of options regarding waterproofs so no problem there. I will get my overalls ordered on Monday.

I have taken the liberty of filling in and submitting my volunteer form online so there's no going back now. As long as I get my clothing sorted within 2 weeks.

Really looking forward to this as I have been away from motor racing for too long.

Thanks again for all of the advice.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 19:22 (Ref:2754524)   #11
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Thank you for the offer but I am Small/Medium in most clothing.
When sizing things like overalls and water proof clothing it's worth remembering that you may have several layers on under them, especially in the cooler months, so you may need to go up a size.
Old 4 Sep 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2754551)   #12
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like Cerberus has some growing to do - on post diet of pork pies and fizzy drinks should sort it so he grows into a proper marshal size.

It is tempting to buy a lined jacket but this can be bulky to carry around and in summer can get too warm. Consider a fleece + and a "shell" jacket.

These days we are supposed to have HiVis in the car when we break down so your circuit waterproof can be kept permanently in the car provided it folds up small.

If you have a local branch of ARCO well worth a visit as they have quite a range of garments and prices. If you explain you are a motorsport marshal and show some evidence eg MSA Licence they are usually helpful with discounts - just don't expect much off an end of range sale price! You can get safety specs - a must for avoiding dust & gravel - and ear protection there as well.

Good luck

DM
Old 4 Sep 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2754558)   #13
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buy the best you can possibly afford. Helly Hansen inshore range is excellent. It gives that extra warm feeling after 10 hours in the rain - I'm dry in here.

Don't worry too much about colour; orange really does not matter.

Regards

Jim
Old 4 Sep 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2754598)   #14
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
personally for my waterproofs i just went to my local builders, outdoor place. got a waterproof jacket thats more like a short coat, nice and warm, had no problems with it 20 quid
Old 6 Sep 2010, 20:49 (Ref:2755400)   #15
welche2
Racer

United Kingdom
swadlincote
welche2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
depends on where you live, if your from the burton on trent area try springfeild army stores in burton. have hi viz jackets and trousours. they also do dickies overalls in orange for £20 proban ones. you could try donnington market on sundays as well for £19 they had jackets there. hope that helps.
Old 6 Sep 2010, 21:45 (Ref:2755419)   #16
Eric Ridler
Racer

United Kingdom
Timperley,Cheshire
Eric Ridler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The BMMC supplier listed in thier clothing pdf shows a couple of different jackets, the 'Value warm waterproof jacket in orange' and the 'Four season traffic jacket' Would it be wise to spend the extra on the Four seasons jacket?
Don't forget if you order jackets from FRS you get a £6 subsidy from BMMC. The items listed on our website are just a small selection of a huge range of Hi Vis clothing available from FRS. Have a look at the FRS website before making a selection, they are quite prompt at delivering goods.

Eric Ridler
BMMC National Regalia Officer
Old 6 Sep 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2755447)   #17
lawnmowerman
Rookie

lawnmowerman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ermmm....do you not know anyone who works for the railway track maintenance? They have excellent Gortex waterproof clothing hehe
Old 7 Sep 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2755631)   #18
Cerberus
Rookie

United Kingdom
All sorted now. Overalls ordered yesterday morning and delivered today. Great service by AWS.

Waterproofs sorted by a friend who had a brand new set in his garage, still all wrapped up, issued during his previous employment. Luckily the right size too. Not the exact spec I was looking to buy but for the cost of a few beers I'm not going to complain.

That' it then, I'm all ready.......I think!

Thanks for all of the advice.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2756017)   #19
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can you let me know exactly where and when you will be marshalling? 'Cos you just know that after all that effort and preparation it ain't gonna rain where you are
Old 9 Sep 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2756686)   #20
haystacks
Veteran

England
Sittingbourne Kent
haystacks should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, Chris can bring his brolly and we can all stand under it!!!!!!!!