Old 16 Sep 2010, 10:31 (Ref:2760269)   #1
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton Maturing?

I'm a fan boy, so cards on the table.

However, I think most people have been impressed with how Hamilton has combined his natural aggression and speed with a calmer head this year. Last weekend to me is the sign of a mistake, proof of human falibility, no more (Alonso's mistake in Spa was even more school-boy).

Its great that Lewis took full responsibility for what happened in Monza - many other drivers would have attached even a touch of blame to Massa, but Lewis stood up and said, 'my bad'. It seemed to have seen him let his head drop a touch.

The rest of this year for me is going to be very interesting to see how he handles and comes back from this. I'm putting my money on him coming back even stronger next race. And all three team's pace does seem to be levelling out a lot (hopefully).

So exciting!
Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2760291)   #2
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
His move was anything but mature and he had several chances to back out of it - hardly mature ,and fortunately did not ruin Massa's race.

At least he put his hands up and admitted his mistake - but what choice did he have in such a clear cut case?
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2760315)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I must say the mistake was a rookie error. You could see it coming an absolute mile off.

But yeah, the way he is with the press is certainly much improved, and credit for taking the blame.

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2760327)   #4
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I must say the mistake was a rookie error. You could see it coming an absolute mile off.
I don't doubt that Hamilton has superior speed than me, but I could see it coming for what felt like ages approaching the corner.

On the specific point at hand, his reaction was as you would expect really. I happen to think Hamilton's been pretty mature since the beginning of his F1 career.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2760332)   #5
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I wish I could remember some off the top of my head, but I remember there being a few questionable interviews in his first season, but that's completely expected given the extreme circumstances.

It was definitely a predictable accident though. I don't think Massa really cut across as such, as he was always going to try and take a tight route through the chicane.

Selby
Old 16 Sep 2010, 15:17 (Ref:2760397)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To put my own cards on the table, I'm far from being a fan boy. Although in truth, it's the hype that surrounded him from day one that turned me off much more than Hamilton himself.

He certainly has natural speed and race craft (i.e. he can pass people), much of the latter borne out of his time in karts.

During his first 2 seasons, when he could easily have been forgiven for thinking it was all a bit too easy, he made a few regrettable comments.

His relative lack of success in his 3rd season taught him more about F1 than the first two combined, and this season he is continuing to push himself up the learning curve.

So yes, he is maturing. And as he does so he will get closer to being the driver that the hype would have had us believe he was at the beginning.

At the beginning of this season, I predicted Button would finish ahead of Hamilton, simply because of Button's experience, his relatively light touch on the car (especially in comparison to the way Lewis seemed to go through tyres last year), and his more tactical approach to the season overall. I still may be proved right, but to his credit Hamilton has developed more than I expected this season - to the extent that, right now, I think he might just be a very narrow favourite for the title.

As for last weekend's DNF, having made a bit of a mess of qualifying he felt he needed to do something on lap 1 to get in amongst the race front runners and it didn't come off. It was a mistake, but they've all done it. With a bit more experience he might have been thinking about the Championship more than the race, and that might have persuaded him to back off and collect some useful points for a 4th or 5th. But then, I thought people loved him for his balls out approach?

Last edited by garcon; 16 Sep 2010 at 15:23.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2760401)   #7
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
(Alonso's mistake in Spa was even more school-boy).

Would be good if Hamilton's fans "matured" as much.

I'm not a fan of Hamilton at all, I don't see any appeal of him. His incident at Monza screamed school boy error alright, not that of a champion.

And he gets applauded?

Okay.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2760405)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Would be good if 99% of the F1 fans on here "matured" as much.
Corrected that for you.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 17:59 (Ref:2760492)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
I'm not a fan of Hamilton at all, I don't see any appeal of him. His incident at Monza screamed school boy error alright, not that of a champion.

And he gets applauded?

Okay.
What's the opposite of "fan boy"?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:06 (Ref:2760496)   #10
Crispy12
Rookie

United Kingdom
Crispy12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say his crash in Monza was a great example of his maturity but I would agree that overall this year he has shown a level of maturity far greater then in previous seasons.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 18:07 (Ref:2760497)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An A-Level student imploring Hamilton fans to mature. WTF lol.

Hamilton is maturing certainly and this is to be expected... He is at the age when people tend to do so, in most areas of life.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 04:50 (Ref:2760699)   #12
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
But yeah, the way he is with the press is certainly much improved, and credit for taking the blame.

Selby
Hehehehe I guess he has been scared off the telling of Pork Pies following what happened when he favoured that approach.....
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:22 (Ref:2760735)   #13
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I think Hamilton's off-track attitude has changed (matured?) considerably since he got rid of his father as his manager.
This could be just a coincidence and his 'coming of age' happened at the same time, but I do think that Anthony was behind a lot of the 'silly things' that were said in the past.
All he needs to do now is to get rid of his publicity seeking bimbo of a girlfriend and maybe we'll witness another sea-change in him...
Old 17 Sep 2010, 07:27 (Ref:2760737)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
All he needs to do now is to get rid of his publicity seeking bimbo of a girlfriend and maybe we'll witness another sea-change in him...
Best post of the year, nay, the decade.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:58 (Ref:2760790)   #15
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I thought he had - or is this a new one?

I'm afraid I don't take OK magazine...
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2760796)   #16
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
They got back together. Keep up.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:06 (Ref:2760797)   #17
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
I thought he had - or is this a new one?

I'm afraid I don't take OK magazine...
They separated but have since re-united.

Ditto JB and his girlfriend.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:10 (Ref:2760801)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Based on Monza, it seems to have worked better for Jenson.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:18 (Ref:2760802)   #19
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it a Hamilton error YES. Was it foolish, MAYBE. I dont however think it was stupid, he only just clipped the Ferrari's wheel which 9 times out of 10 would have been fine. It is this driving style that has won more races than it has lost, not just in F1.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:23 (Ref:2760804)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Which is a surprise because the last Japanese model he was with left him floundering at the back.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 09:25 (Ref:2760806)   #21
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Did anyone else cringe and/or feel ever so slightly jealous when they saw Jenson's dad hugging his girlfriend?

Dirty/lucky old git!
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2760826)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon View Post
Did anyone else cringe and/or feel ever so slightly jealous when they saw Jenson's dad hugging his girlfriend?
As a woman, it made my skin crawl. Truly, it did.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 10:43 (Ref:2760840)   #23
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl View Post
What's the opposite of "fan boy"?
Do you mean fan.........girl?
Old 17 Sep 2010, 15:24 (Ref:2760925)   #24
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think Lewis and his girlfriend are still together, I know they split up but I think they're back together. Anyway that is something for OK Magazine or the 3AM girls!!

I think Lewis has matured. His race at Spa, and his difficult year in 2009 and having to develop the car. However the last race was a rookie error. I think he would have got Massa eventually, I don't think he would have got Alonso(as the Ferrari was a stronger car). I think it is quite likely if he didn't have that tangle he would have third place. Third place is better than a DNF! Hopefully he has learnt from that.
Old 17 Sep 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2761015)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hamilton maturing?

I'd put him second only to Vettel in the current top 5 as driver most likely to fall foul of a regulation or racing incident. Having said that, he'll be there or thereabouts come Abu Dhabi.