Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 11 Dec 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2802777)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2011 Pit Lane Garage Allotment

Below is the 2011 garage allocation as issued by V8 Supercars:

2011 Garage Allocation
Pos Team Car #Boom
01 Team Vodafone88A
02 Team Vodafone888A
03 Jim Beam Racing17B
04 Jim Beam Racing18B
05 Fujitsu Racing33C
06 Fujitsu Racing34C
07 Orrcon Racing5D
08 Trading Post Racing6D
09 Bottle O Racing55E
10 James Rosenberg Racing47E
11 SP Tools Racing9F
12 Irwin Tools Racing4F
13 Super Cheap Auto Racing39G
14 Team VIP Petfoods67G
15 Mother Racing19H
16 Triple F Racing12H
17 Centaur Racing3I
18 Gulf Western Oils Racing30I
19 Jack Daniels Racing15J
20 Jack Daniels Racing7J
21 Rock Racing11K
22 Stratco Racing16K
23 Toll Holden Racing Team1L
24 Toll Holden Racing Team2L
25 Bundaberg Red Racing24M
26 Fair Dinkum Sheds Racing21M
27 Team BOC8N
28 Brad Jones Racing 14N

More Here

There seems to be a serious disadvantage for teams with a customer 3rd car that isn't doing so well.
Old 11 Dec 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2802780)   #2
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
23 Toll Holden Racing Team 1 L
24 Toll Holden Racing Team 2 L
Old 11 Dec 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2802804)   #3
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would have loved a piece of those HRT odds !
Mind you, they should have fewer cars to run into when exiting their pit box
Old 11 Dec 2010, 07:12 (Ref:2802850)   #4
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#67 VIP Pet Foods. Did I miss something?

MeNews mentioned it but this seems to confirm it.... Mr Owen perhaps?????
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 12 Dec 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2803136)   #5
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One matter of interest for me will be to see how the pit allocations will change Sunday qualifying.

This year when all the Fords were down the back of pit lane, Sundays grid showed mainly Holdens in the top 10 if my memory serves me correctly. The 20 minute dash for positions would have seen more Holdens making a good early quick lap because of the advantage of hitting the track quicker, I'd suggest that cars at the head of pit lane had more chance of banking a quck lap before red flags too.

Also, will be interesting to see what sort of sportsmanship is shown between the teams such as driving through others pits during stops.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 04:16 (Ref:2803161)   #6
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
One matter of interest for me will be to see how the pit allocations will change Sunday qualifying.

This year when all the Fords were down the back of pit lane, Sundays grid showed mainly Holdens in the top 10 if my memory serves me correctly. The 20 minute dash for positions would have seen more Holdens making a good early quick lap because of the advantage of hitting the track quicker, I'd suggest that cars at the head of pit lane had more chance of banking a quck lap before red flags too.

Also, will be interesting to see what sort of sportsmanship is shown between the teams such as driving through others pits during stops.
Most of the Fast laps this year were done in the last seconds of qually. Pit location doesn't have anything to do with it......
Old 12 Dec 2010, 04:28 (Ref:2803164)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i was thinking that also Mick.

how often were the cars first out completing their hot laps while the cars at the other end still completing their out laps.

you get to bank a fast lap and then go back and wait in the pits while the other cars cycle through, on same tracks it gives you the potential to scrao in with a final lap that the cars at the other end dont get to complete

there is a definate advantage at being at that end of the pits.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 06:51 (Ref:2803181)   #8
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Sure I prefer Fords but all in all, I think it will be interesting to see who things measure up with both marques spread throughout pit lane.

I actually think its a hindrance to be at the front end, how many front running teams get penalties for unsafe releases....too much panic at times.

and for the record....despite their defection to Holden, I still hold 888 as the best team on the grid, at least they have built the last 3 championship winning cars!!!

Last edited by Woolley; 12 Dec 2010 at 22:02. Reason: refers to now deleted post.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:03 (Ref:2803182)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think I read somewhere that in 2011 Sunday qualifying will be the same as Sat.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 12 Dec 2010, 07:20 (Ref:2803183)   #10
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Mate....comment not intended as bias.....just an interesting thought. Sure I prefer Fords but all in all, I think it will be interesting to see who things measure up with both marques spread throughout pit lane.

I actually think its a hindrance to be at the front end, how many front running teams get penalties for unsafe releases....too much panic at times.

and for the record....despite their defection to Holden, I still hold 888 as the best team on the grid, at least they have built the last 3 championship winning cars!!!
All good.
Old 12 Dec 2010, 20:52 (Ref:2803466)   #11
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Am i missing something here, but whats the big fuss over pit garages?
Old 12 Dec 2010, 22:26 (Ref:2803511)   #12
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
closer to either end has its advantages and disadvantages, but i think there is also the alleged prestige of getting to the front of the queue which shows where you finished last year... sort of
Old 12 Dec 2010, 23:54 (Ref:2803538)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

This is at Homebush... the first team in pitlane has nobody else in front of them, no tyres to work around, or air guns, or people waiting for their car to come in to effect a change.

Strategically, the car that travels all the way down the lane has right of way, such that they can effectively block/delay all exiting cars.. for a performance advantage..

Interestingly Mr Moffat used to like the #1 pit bay at Bathurst, the very first one as you came into pitlane. Presumably this was because if his cars were marginal on fuel or had other issues, it wasnt a big issue to land in that slot, as opposed to pushing a car up the pitlane proper...
Old 13 Dec 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2803552)   #14
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But when Moffat was running cars there was no pit lane speed limit. He liked it because he could roar in at full speed and have a clear entry into his pit bay. He could then charge up pit lane at full speed and have maximum speed up for rejoining the race. It was an advantage under those circumstances.

With a pit-lane speed limit, there's no real advantage except for fast lane track position.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 01:00 (Ref:2803560)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
When speed bumps were installed in the lane, arguably the chances of getting to full tilt by the end of the lane were reduced... indeed Mr Moffat broke an oil cooler on the bumps for Mr Brock back in '86 at the Mountain didnt he?
Old 13 Dec 2010, 01:11 (Ref:2803563)   #16
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Until the current building was constructed, most of the big teams tended to be at the beginning of pit lane at Bathurst. The western end was the domain of the privateers.

Some of the bigger teams had constructed permanent garages in the paddock so logically wanted the same pit bays each year to align with these. Gibson Motorsport occupied the bays next to Moffat moving up in 1997 when Moffat retired.

Being at the beginning would also have allowed drivers to pump the brake pedal after pad changes. Moffat did break 05's oil cooler on the bumps in 1986. They were removed for the following year as the FIA didn't want them for the WTCC. The speed limit was introduced in 1996 initially at 60km/h before coming down to 40km/h.
Old 13 Dec 2010, 07:33 (Ref:2803643)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
the first team in pitlane has nobody else in front of them, no tyres to work around, or air guns, or people waiting for their car to come in to effect a change.
You usually find they've got a witches hat to dodge forcing them into the fast lane prior to pit exit, or at Sandown the Medical & Safety Car are in the way of the Cars at Garage 49 & 50.