Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 23 Feb 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2835898)   #1
JackDonaghey
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
JackDonaghey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kart Racing Circuit Design Challenge

Hello one and all. Was searching on information on Karting Circuit Design and ended up here. Visited a few of the threads, signed up and now have a present the following challenge. Design a top knotch Karting Ciruit for the plot presented (Dimensions are in Meters). As you can all see (I hope), theres already a track there. Unfortunately, it's apparently going to be replaced by the infrastructure (read roads and the likes - they'll occupy the shaded area) of some serious developments that are programmed for the area. If we can convince the authorities its worth it, we'll get the new one built (fingers crossed!) - so we´re producing an Initial Master Plan. Here are the details for the track:
A) TOTAL LENGTH OF TRACK:
MAXIMUM: 1500 metres
MINIMUM: 1000 metres
B) LENGTH OF LONGEST "STRAIGHT":
MAXIMUM: 170 metres
MINIMUM: 80 metres
C) TRACK WIDTH:
MAXIMUM: 10 metres
MINIMUM: 8 metres
After the starting line, a mandatory "Straight" - minimum 50 metres in length - is required before the first curve.
Paddocks, Parque Fermé, Press Rooms, Boxes, etc will be installed - we'll deal with those, but their placement should be considered. So there you have it; inquiries, demands, complaints, just pm me, or send an e-mail if thats allowed. Stay safe!
Attached Thumbnails
10 Tenths - Area.jpg  

Last edited by JackDonaghey; 23 Feb 2011 at 22:13. Reason: Correcting Dimensions
Old 26 Feb 2011, 06:30 (Ref:2837067)   #2
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Breaking the ice...
Here's my off the hip take of it:
ccw
1009 mts long
8 mts wide
162 M front straight
It's a karting track, so huge run-offs are not needed.
The pit exit its a bit strange.. o_0
Attached Thumbnails
karting2.jpg  

Last edited by LuiggiSpeed; 26 Feb 2011 at 06:47.
Old 26 Feb 2011, 12:18 (Ref:2837142)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
from a racers point of view, dont make it too tight and twisty..its really frustrating to drive, designa fast flowing circuit, with a couple of chicanes or hairpins in it....one of my favorite tracks to drive is 3 sisters...its simple, but a blast to drive, the main straight is long enough to slipsteam, and with varying corners and a wide track its easy to race 3 abreast....if youve got too many tight twisty bits theres nowhere to overtake....

...heres a track map http://www.three-sisters.co.uk/circuit.asp
Old 27 Feb 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2837625)   #4
JackDonaghey
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
JackDonaghey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LuiggiSpeed n AscarracingUK, thanks for the replies. We'll be converting the suggested tracks to CAD when posted - hopefully there'll be a few more - after which we'll have a meet with some local racers to get they're input. Will keep you posted - be uploading initial sketches of the Masterplan soon, and will inform you of the actual location of the track as soon a we get permisssion. Again, thanks.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 23:21 (Ref:2837703)   #5
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
from a racers point of view, dont make it too tight and twisty..its really frustrating to drive, designa fast flowing circuit, with a couple of chicanes or hairpins in it....one of my favorite tracks to drive is 3 sisters...its simple, but a blast to drive, the main straight is long enough to slipsteam, and with varying corners and a wide track its easy to race 3 abreast....if youve got too many tight twisty bits theres nowhere to overtake....

...heres a track map http://www.three-sisters.co.uk/circuit.asp
I totally agree with you but in this specific case its a karting track, it is supposed to be tight and twisty, to help a little bit I didn't really made it too intestinal with the space provided, we could have done the 1500M but then it will be too crowded.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2837755)   #6
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I'll submit a second shot, I had issues with pit strategy in the first one, though if I reverse the course it works just fine. I just wanted a larger, faster course,within the confines of the project.This one I thought it out a little better and I think it has more overtaking spots.
1175 M
CW
170 main straight
Attached Thumbnails
karting4.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:08 (Ref:2837819)   #7
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Here is a starter, but there could be more to come.
Insane is just a few extra ideas....about 1300+ metres.

the 10tenths track in full length is 1280m. The two longest straights are 160m and 140m.
Attached Thumbnails
10 tenths v1.jpg   Insane track 1.jpg  
Old 28 Feb 2011, 08:47 (Ref:2837829)   #8
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Another one similar to v1, this v2. Slightly shorter, about 1200m but it takes up less area and leaves you with more options regarding pit area, spectator observation, and ancillaries.
The area to the right, where the old track was is the pit and parking area. Track width here is a constant 9m and the track will conform to CIK international regulations although there are a couple of very close areas.
Attached Thumbnails
10 tenths v2.jpg  
Old 1 Mar 2011, 02:26 (Ref:2838244)   #9
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
Teretonga that's one heck of a karting track, if it was me building this thing I would choose your design over mine for sure!

I ain't kidding!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 06:07 (Ref:2838283)   #10
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
I forgot to make the connections in my submission, heres how it works: circuit is CW, track can e divided in 2 separate and independent tracks where both run CW at the same time and you never have people running at each other head to head,pit exit is after t13 , course in is right at the bottom of main straight, at the left of the predicted race line.The rest of the space is paddock, parc feme and whatnot.
Attached Thumbnails
karting2.jpg  
Old 1 Mar 2011, 06:58 (Ref:2838290)   #11
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
both those second designs are much better, looks like a lot more places to overtake..i prefer teretongas 3rd design, on the shorter circuit, the long sweep into that tight hairpin looks fun!
Old 1 Mar 2011, 09:12 (Ref:2838329)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuiggiSpeed View Post
Teretonga that's one heck of a karting track, if it was me building this thing I would choose your design over mine for sure!

I ain't kidding!
Thanks Luiggispeed.
Karting is something I know something about.
I raced myself in the 90's and over the last 8 years I have made it a priority to assist the sport, officiated at over 300 events, everything from club days to national events, even a World Championships.

Last edited by Teretonga; 1 Mar 2011 at 09:19.
Old 1 Mar 2011, 10:33 (Ref:2838355)   #13
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't mind having a crack at this at some point, but there are already some good creations already, clearly

Selby
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:04 (Ref:2841346)   #14
Teretonga
Veteran

I have revised a couple of things and changed some aspects of the layouts. In some ways they are simplified and a little faster, particularly v4. These two versions provide for two separate tracks that can be linked to one large track whereas the earlier ones comprised a club version with two additional extensions that would provide for 4 options of varying lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Sketch comp v3.jpg   Sketch comp v4.jpg  
Old 7 Mar 2011, 09:42 (Ref:2841369)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Very good, mate. I like that alot. I think that'd be thrilling.

Selby
Old 8 Mar 2011, 04:45 (Ref:2841932)   #16
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
lurking around in utube I found an almost real life version of my last track in this post!! Not exact and faithful copy but a very close aprox with more or less the same dynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOVMA...eature=related