Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 26 Apr 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2870232)   #1
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PlayStation Network outage update

For those of you who have PS3s and PSN accounts, you have probably noticed that that it has been down for the last few days.

Although rumours have been flying around as to why for the last few days, Sony have now made an official statement regarding the reason on their blog here:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/...ervice-update/

If you do have a PSN account make sure you check this link out as it seems personal information may have been stolen.
Old 26 Apr 2011, 22:55 (Ref:2870326)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just about to go on XBox Live now. Anyone else?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2870457)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm not too concerned, I haven't entered my credit card details into my PSN account and everything else in there is freely available on the web anyway. They just need to get a shift on and get it back up and running.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 10:42 (Ref:2870503)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Very poor.

I have my card details in there Keeping an eye on my bank account...

Selby
Old 27 Apr 2011, 10:43 (Ref:2870505)   #5
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only thing I'll be changing is probably moving to use pre-paid vouchers now instead of storing my CC details with them.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2870596)   #6
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeap, i'll just be getting PSN cards from now on. I'm more worried about my other personal info being obtained.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2870687)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
I'm more worried about my other personal info being obtained.
There's a pretty good chance it's already all out there - spend a few minutes looking and you'd be surprised just how much info there is about you on the net.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 17:02 (Ref:2870721)   #8
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its your email password that u wanna be worried about, thats the key that they now have............
Old 27 Apr 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2870726)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Changing your normal email password (and others) is probably a good idea if it is the same as the PSN password.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 17:45 (Ref:2870752)   #10
dyewat808
Veteran

United Kingdom
dyewat808 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Just about to go on XBox Live now. Anyone else?

Doesn't particularly bother me at the moment, but I do feel worried for people with a PS3. Keep a good solid eye on everything you've got.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2870770)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just downloading some XBox Live arcade games now lads. Loving it.

How's it going in PS3 world? Have they put the hamster back in the wheel yet?
Old 27 Apr 2011, 18:14 (Ref:2870773)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you really do hate Sony don't you Knowlesy? My pwd will be changed as soon as it is back up, no payment details were ever stored on it as i never have trusted it. Shame you can't do the same with XBL, wouldn't be surprised if they get targeted next
Old 27 Apr 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2870776)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I don't hate Sony at all, still got a PS1 and PS2.

I just like laughing at PSN.

"Ooh, but it's free!" The ITV of online gaming services then, well done.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 18:55 (Ref:2870796)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
"Ooh, but it's free!" The ITV of online gaming services then, well done.
Ouch.
Odd that Sony went down the free route
Old 27 Apr 2011, 20:31 (Ref:2870868)   #15
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just downloading some XBox Live arcade games now lads. Loving it.

How's it going in PS3 world? Have they put the hamster back in the wheel yet?
Could've happened to micro**** just as easy, then the joke would be on the other foot. Only difference I'm not losing money on subscription.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2870933)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Could have easily happened to Microsoft? Since it went up it has had one large technical bum out which was rectified pretty quickly. We also got a free game as well for our pains, admittedly an incredibly and iredeemibly bad one.

The fact is a paid service will always benefit from extra quality, security and service. And if you think a couple of quid a month is a loss for a good service I despair.

I don't understand how having your bank details dished out for free is better, but each to their own.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2870956)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Live subscription isn't to pay for extra security, that's taken for granted with any online service.

Given banks and online stores have all been hacked in recent years the only certainty is every time you put details online there's a risk.

The last thing I'm eager to do is pay for the privilege of online play.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2870961)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No, it isn't for security. But inevitably funds generated will at least partly be put in to improving the service on all levels. Hence Live is a pretty much flawless service, that feels an integrated part of the gaming experience. Rather than the hacked up PSN which feels like an extra.

You get what you pay for when all's said and done.

Anyways. Got to dash, I have got to get online.
Old 27 Apr 2011, 23:56 (Ref:2870971)   #19
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm starting to suspect the information is already out there. My spam filters have taken a very unusual hammering over the last couple of days... and now I'm getting SMS spam for the first time ever. I never provided my credit card details, so I'm not too worried... but it's pretty damn annoying.

It won't really effect my support for the PS3... I'll just make sure Sony only ever get VERY limited personal details in the future.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:15 (Ref:2871047)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
There's nothing on PSN that isn't already out there really - if they've got my PSN password then big deal, I have different passwords for everything. Email address? Well that's out and about anyway as is name and address etc (and I'm sure that's true of most if not all people anyway).

The major grumbles from me are:

Why did it take so long for Sony to admit to the problem?
Why did they not send an email to the registered PSN address? (why should I be expected to follow their twatter account to keep up to date - they should be telling me via the contact details they have)
Why did they store data as plain text? That's thick by any standards.

Doesn't really effect my gaming as I play offline anyway.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 08:40 (Ref:2871061)   #21
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Anyways. Got to dash, I have got to get online.
Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't. Those in glass houses and all that...

I own both consoles and cannot deny that the Xbox Live experience is superior over PSN.

The reason I have a PS3 is IMO it's better for media, has a better controller for my tastes, doesn't lock you in to using crappy steering wheels and uses Bluetooth headsets as opposed to the horrible headset for the 360.

However on the flipside I own an Xbox 360 because it has the superior online experience and a better library of games. The bits I don't like are far outweighed by that.

No fanboi-ism here, I just happen to have a PSN account out of necessity.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 09:13 (Ref:2871074)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No fanboy-ism here either.

Like I say, I have a PS1 and PS2. Both arguably the console of their respective generations.

But Sony have been left behind. Whilst Sony concentrated on building a Blu-Ray player that also doubles up as an Internet explorer, Microsoft concentrated on gaming utopia and account security. And Microsoft certainly have a lot of experience of the latter, for good and bad reasons!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 13:38 (Ref:2871179)   #23
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Could have easily happened to Microsoft? Since it went up it has had one large technical bum out which was rectified pretty quickly. We also got a free game as well for our pains, admittedly an incredibly and iredeemibly bad one.
Rectrified quickly? It took twice as long as the PSN has already been down for.
Old 28 Apr 2011, 16:29 (Ref:2871279)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well that is only because Sony acted so slowly.

Waiting a week before doing anything. Fantastic stuff!
Old 28 Apr 2011, 18:41 (Ref:2871386)   #25
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
Quote:
Well that is only because Sony acted so slowly.

Waiting a week before doing anything. Fantastic stuff!
It took two weeks for Live to sort out their problems in 2008.