Just seen this article come through McLaren's Facebook feed:
http://www.mclaren.com/page/marshals...nsung-heroes-1
Old 27 Jul 2011, 16:43 (Ref:2931830)   #2
Matt Hunter
Racer

England
Exmouth
Matt Hunter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A really good article there. Glad to see marshals getting recognition by the top teams
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:03 (Ref:2931921)   #3
Miss Pebbles
Another Little Teapot
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Miss Pebbles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are these marshals who get to go to post 15mins before the action at the grand prix?
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2931927)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They're the ones in the medical car...

Nice article, all the same.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 21:13 (Ref:2931931)   #5
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles View Post
Who are these marshals who get to go to post 15mins before the action at the grand prix?
I liked the part about arriving at the circuit at 7am (half an hour *after* radio collection has closed).
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:48 (Ref:2932019)   #6
exflagman
Racer

exflagman is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Pity it propogates the myth that you can become 'trained' after 10 meetings - from posts on this forum the actuality seems to conflict somewhat with the advertising.

The problem is that it sets peoples expectations at that level and they start complaining when it doesn't happen.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 06:54 (Ref:2932021)   #7
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Pity it propogates the myth that you can become 'trained' after 10 meetings - from posts on this forum the actuality seems to conflict somewhat with the advertising.

The problem is that it sets peoples expectations at that level and they start complaining when it doesn't happen.
you can become trained after 10 meetings - whether you have the correct level of experience to apply that training is surely the topic of those threads?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:52 (Ref:2932037)   #8
exflagman
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
you can become trained after 10 meetings - whether you have the correct level of experience to apply that training is surely the topic of those threads?
If that is the norm then why are trainees complaining about not being able to get upgrade signatures?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2932042)   #9
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pebbles View Post
thats me on the qualifying day
i would have been there earlier, but had to bit on the telly about Marshalling at thruxton
Old 28 Jul 2011, 08:44 (Ref:2932052)   #10
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good article, some nice photos there too, not sure about the one that makes it look like the Marshals are sweeping the grass though, could be misconstrued...

I like the hard hats.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:07 (Ref:2932057)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The article was penned by Chris Hobson as was the one in this weeks Motorsport News
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:21 (Ref:2932062)   #12
exflagman
Racer

Where they Chris's actual words - they seem more like a corporate media persons interpretation to me.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:34 (Ref:2932068)   #13
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I expect they were edited slightly as was the article I did for Brawn two years ago
Old 28 Jul 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2932078)   #14
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The words are the reporters interpretation of the interview I gave them - I did not actually put pen to paper - hence the 15 mins before practice actually refers to meetings here in the UK and the 10 sigs refers to attendance sigs AFTER WHICH a trainee can apply for an upgrade assessment.

You have to remember these articles are intend for Joe Public to read, so you cannot be as detailed and precise as you would be if addressing a group of existing marshals.

I am happy with the overall message and hope it brings us a few more volunteers and recognition amongst the general and racing public. However, if it keeps people happy to pick things apart....................................................
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2932108)   #15
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by exflagman View Post
Where they Chris's actual words - they seem more like a corporate media persons interpretation to me.
You obviously have not spoken to Chris then.

Sorry Chris, joking
Old 28 Jul 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2932112)   #16
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
its a nice to the point short article that wont put people off reading the whole lot to get an accurate picture of the beginnings, its good mcclaren has shown an interest its a lot better than not having potential recruitment material such as this.

still though its slightly disconcerting the angle the photographer managed to get of the two maybe sweeping the grass!
Old 28 Jul 2011, 15:28 (Ref:2932139)   #17
exflagman
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund View Post
You obviously have not spoken to Chris then.

Sorry Chris, joking
If they had been Chris's actual words I would have begun to suspect that he had been spending too much time in the rarified atmosphere of MSA Towers or the Stewards Office at the Wing, either that or he had been taken over by aliens
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:46 (Ref:2932381)   #18
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson View Post
The words are the reporters interpretation of the interview I gave them - I did not actually put pen to paper - hence the 15 mins before practice actually refers to meetings here in the UK and the 10 sigs refers to attendance sigs AFTER WHICH a trainee can apply for an upgrade assessment.

You have to remember these articles are intend for Joe Public to read, so you cannot be as detailed and precise as you would be if addressing a group of existing marshals.

I am happy with the overall message and hope it brings us a few more volunteers and recognition amongst the general and racing public. However, if it keeps people happy to pick things apart....................................................
I thought it came across well actually - remembering it was for General Consumption. At least it got out there - that's the important thing...

I know from the 16 years I did at the BBC how much things can be spun, and also the true meaning of the word "context" LOL.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2932387)   #19
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a very good piece - covers the basics, attracts people in and doesn't go into unnecessary detail. After all you don't teach somebody maths by going straight to calculus.