Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 14 Aug 2001, 15:14 (Ref:130344)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Johnny Herbert tests an IRL car

During a three hour test at Kentucky Speedway Joihhny Hebert ran fast enough in the Hemelgarn Infiniti-G Force Indy car to qualify for the front row. Herbert is entertaining an IRL ride to make a challenge at the Indy 500.

I was honestly surprised that he came to speed so quickly. I in no way doubt his skill. He is an excellent driver, but oval racing is new to him and so is the car. I would rather see him racing in CART, but wish him well in his Indy 500 bid.
Old 14 Aug 2001, 15:26 (Ref:130349)   #2
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What? A furriner in IRL? :confused: Say it isn't so!
Old 14 Aug 2001, 16:15 (Ref:130364)   #3
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They let Eliseo Salad-bar run, why not Herbie...
Old 14 Aug 2001, 20:00 (Ref:130464)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This from Autosport.com (I found the bolded parts instructive, personally):

Johnny Herbert has blown away the regular drivers in the US-based Indy Racing League series by setting a lap fast enough to bag pole position for last Sunday's Kentucky round of the championship in his first IRL test on Monday.

Herbert set a top speed of 214.7mph around the 1.5mile Kentucky Speedway oval, a lap 0.2mph faster than Scott Sharp's qualifying speed of 214.5mph.

"I'm very happy with the test today," said Herbert. "I've only accumulated about a day's worth of experience on the oval tracks , but I've thoroughly enjoyed the opportunities. Winning the Indy 500 is my last major challenge, and I'm doing all I can to get there. This was a great package to run with, and I really hope I'm competing here next year."

=============

So after one day's experience, he is setting faster times than the regulars? Yep, these Brand X Racing cars are real tough to drive. [no, i could not do it.]
Old 15 Aug 2001, 03:46 (Ref:130621)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I think his endless amount of experience in racing in general got him thorugh the test well...and he was driven a hemelgarn car ..so it was one of the cars out there.

sure he is new to ovals and new to these cars but with his experience he would be able to easilly adapt to it.

I hope he goes to CART but I also hope he can do a deal to do the indy 500
Old 15 Aug 2001, 06:54 (Ref:130639)   #6
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good work Johnny.

I thought he was supposed to be driving for Sigma autosport in CART for 2002? That fell through?
Old 15 Aug 2001, 10:41 (Ref:130691)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Although it would be great to see Herbert back in the drivers seat and racing, isn't the IRL a bit of a drop for you Herbie????

Setting a FASTER time than series regulars either shows how talented he is or how pathetic the IRL drivers are. I think it's a little from Column A and a little from Column B.

Don't forget though - Nigel Mansell in 1993 won four oval races in his first season in CART so it's not an irregular occurence for overseas drivers to get to grips with ovals (however, it did take Emerson a number of years to win on one)

However, I do wonder if he'll do CART next year. He deserves a seat in a top single-seater series but it's whether the oppurtunity will present itself or not.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 14:58 (Ref:130795)   #8
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The reason behind the IRL test is that JH has a desire to win the Indy 500. It is difficult for any of the teams that has shown interest in CART to afford to run a one off at Indy. So he is keeping his options open.
Old 15 Aug 2001, 15:48 (Ref:130811)   #9
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Don't forget though - Nigel Mansell in 1993 won four oval races in his first season in CART so it's not an irregular occurence for overseas drivers to get to grips with ovals (however, it did take Emerson a number of years to win on one)
I wish all the people who are screaming for Bruno to be fired and an American hired in his place would remember this.....

Fifth place at the Indy 500 ahead of all the Brand X Racing guys AND the NASCAR ringer was quite respectable, yet still everyone says he is "not getting a grip on the series" and this is "proof" that European trained pilots should not be hired by Champ Cars.
Old 19 Aug 2001, 23:08 (Ref:132790)   #10
Old Clunker
Rookie

Old Clunker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Herby even considers the bottom of the barrel ride or the IRL as long as he gets to run the I500 thing. He'll be running the same equipment as if he was in a CART team at the I500 but with practically no competition from the IRL boys and girls. So why not go for it? It also rather points up the difference in talent required for RR as opposed to OR, eh?

Nigel had a great amount of help from Mario in getting his car in racing trim and showed his normal mentality by belittling that help.

I don't think it is a deep secret where the good drivers are coming from or where they are going.

Lot's of great racin' just ahead

Old Clunker
Old 20 Aug 2001, 00:30 (Ref:132832)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pardon me getting my finger into this.

I really like the guy, Johnny is a good chap. So my best wishes to him.

I'm in unkown ground, so I hope you lot help me... How Johnny is going through this ?
Old 20 Aug 2001, 10:55 (Ref:132970)   #12
Liz
Veteran

I was lucky enough to meet Johnny Herbert this weekend and my cousin talked to him after his accident at corner 2 at Mosport - he is a very nice guy and stopped to talk and give autographs to a whack of us at the Champion Audi paddock even though he had not planned on it, and he did it with good grace. He'd be an addition to Champ Cars if he came over and we'll be glad to have him in any series!