snetterton madness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM snetterton ?

has anyone heard anything about new meetings for next year. lots of rumors
Old 11 Aug 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2938626)   #2
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They've been around for a while. Would be good for Snetterton's image - not sure how keen DTM would be to be THAT far away from civilisation
Old 11 Aug 2011, 19:34 (Ref:2938632)   #3
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Dr. Palmer hasn't spent that amount of money to carry on running national championships and clubbie events - I think MSV want an international event to put Snetterton on the map.

With Donington now punching its weight again and attracting WTCC and Superstars it'll be an interesting time in future. We now have 4 circuits competing for international race events. I do hope they all remember to look after the club events as well though.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2938650)   #4
Red_08
Veteran

England
Mid-Cheshire
Red_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With all the negative stuff going on in the media at the moment, this put a grand smile on my face. I loved doing the DTM at Brands so I'd love to do them at Snetterton. Would be good for the track and British Motorsport. It's refreshing to see established series appearing at venues they wouldn't normally have been to.

I'll be keeping my ears glued to this one.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:18 (Ref:2938654)   #5
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure about DTM, especially as Brands already has this - cut your nose to spite your face. However, Harwich Port isn't that far away, so could be an overseas round for STCC or even a 2nd DTM round.
Old 11 Aug 2011, 20:46 (Ref:2938666)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that Silverstone is also considering bidding to host the DTM so this story may still have some milage in it yet. Quite like the thought of the STCC appearing at Snetterton and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Formula 2 races there next year.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2938812)   #7
Ubique
Racer

Falkland Islands
Watching penguins in the South Atlantic
Ubique should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard strong rumours from people I trust in Germany that quite a few people involved with the DTM are very against going to Snetterton based purely on it's location. From what I've been told the worry is that it is so isolated (in transport/travel times) from the rest of the UK that they won't get the support. The rumours that they are hearing is that the DTM will either move to Silverstone or their apparently prefered option of a return to Donington.

Not sure how much faith to place in the rumours but like I say I heard them from people who I trust and that are involved in German motorsport.

Having been to Snetterton I can say that it's a good circuit but it still needs a hell of a lot of work before it's ready for a big international meeting, (New Pits etc for a start). What MSV have done so far is great but it's only a start, however if the level of investment continues then there is no reason that they won't be ready soon which can only be great for British motorsport as a whole. Personally tho I'd prefer to see the DTM at either Donington or Oulton.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 10:59 (Ref:2938864)   #8
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
I've heard strong rumours from people I trust in Germany that quite a few people involved with the DTM are very against going to Snetterton based purely on it's location. From what I've been told the worry is that it is so isolated (in transport/travel times) from the rest of the UK that they won't get the support.
Does anyone have any accurate figures for attendance at the various BTCC rounds? I've often wondered what it attracts at the various circuits.

There did seem to be plenty of folk there for the race last weekend. It would be good to see the event kept at a UK venue that isn't Silverstone just to spread the love, whether Donington (half hour from me so that's all good!), Brands or Snetterton.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:37 (Ref:2938872)   #9
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MSVR's press release said 35,000 attended Snetterton's BTCC meeting, but am not sure if someone attending on both days gets counted twice or not. 43,000 came for the 2011 BSB meet.

BTCC's press blurb for potential sponsors speaks of 325,000 visitors over the 10 race weekends, so maybe that figure is about right with Snetterton getting a bit of a boost this year as the 300 circuit has some curiosity value, and it was the first meeting after a long break.

British Superbikes have published spectator figures for 2010 in their blurb for the 2011 season. They claim 380,000 visitors for the season.

Brands Hatch - 83,100*
Oulton Park - 69,280*
Croft - 26,600
Thruxton - 30,000
Knockhill - 21,500
Snetterton - 25,680
Cadwell - 79,050*
Donington - 25,200 (2009)
Silverston - 30,000
* denotes attendance over two meetings

Last edited by andrewc; 12 Aug 2011 at 11:54.
Old 12 Aug 2011, 11:38 (Ref:2938874)   #10
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Snett is still a couple of years away from holding international meetings as people have said the track is ok but there is still a lot of work to do!! I guess F2 would be first with maybe WTCC?

Crowd at Snett BTCC approx 35,000 according to Snett website.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2939200)   #11
stevebrown
Racer

England
The Port of Indecision, SW of Disorder
stevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridstevebrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubique View Post
I've heard strong rumours from people I trust in Germany that quite a few people involved with the DTM are very against going to Snetterton based purely on it's location. From what I've been told the worry is that it is so isolated (in transport/travel times) from the rest of the UK that they won't get the support.
As has been said before, Harwich isn't far away so how can it be so isolated & more so than Oulton? If the STCC seem interested and there is also rumour of another championship, I don't see why DTM's can't go to Snetterton. It might not happen next year but wait until the hotel is built.

BTW deadsquirrel. Norfolk is quite civilised.
Old 13 Aug 2011, 10:56 (Ref:2939201)   #12
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebrown View Post
As has been said before, Harwich isn't far away so how can it be so isolated & more so than Oulton? If the STCC seem interested and there is also rumour of another championship, I don't see why DTM's can't go to Snetterton. It might not happen next year but wait until the hotel is built.

BTW deadsquirrel. Norfolk is quite civilised.
Well said!!
Old 15 Aug 2011, 15:03 (Ref:2940026)   #13
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM

That would be great, imagine the traffic chaos on the A11 when the first meeting happened. Trucks at snetterton now thats would be worth seeing

Charlotte
Old 15 Aug 2011, 16:14 (Ref:2940060)   #14
DemonDriverDan
Rookie

DemonDriverDan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what I know, there are no plans for DTM to go to Snet at all. I've been told they're quite particular about going to Brands with the distance to London allowing Merc / BMW's corporate guests to stay in London hotels (Travelodges just aren't good enough! )
Old 16 Aug 2011, 15:15 (Ref:2941758)   #15
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
MSVR's press release said 35,000 attended Snetterton's BTCC meeting, but am not sure if someone attending on both days gets counted twice or not. 43,000 came for the 2011 BSB meet.

BTCC's press blurb for potential sponsors speaks of 325,000 visitors over the 10 race weekends, so maybe that figure is about right with Snetterton getting a bit of a boost this year as the 300 circuit has some curiosity value, and it was the first meeting after a long break.

British Superbikes have published spectator figures for 2010 in their blurb for the 2011 season. They claim 380,000 visitors for the season.

Brands Hatch - 83,100*
Oulton Park - 69,280*
Croft - 26,600
Thruxton - 30,000
Knockhill - 21,500
Snetterton - 25,680
Cadwell - 79,050*
Donington - 25,200 (2009)
Silverston - 30,000
* denotes attendance over two meetings
Thanks for this Andrew, interesting stuff. British motorsport could do with some serious promotion. Its odd that at the extreme high end F1 attracts a much larger crowd than MotoGP or WSB - but at the national champs level BSB seems to outdo BTCC. 2 and 4 wheels both need to join forces and co-promite UK motorsport.

BTW - it annoys me too on the attendance figures when you can't tell a weekend crowd - I wish they'd just quote the main raceday crowd - or at the very least count 1 day tickets and 2 day seperate so anyone coming on both days doesn't get double counted.
Old 17 Aug 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2942259)   #16
Sticker Rub
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Sticker Rub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPage View Post
BTW - it annoys me too on the attendance figures when you can't tell a weekend crowd - I wish they'd just quote the main raceday crowd - or at the very least count 1 day tickets and 2 day seperate so anyone coming on both days doesn't get double counted.
Crowd figures are quoted primarily for the benefit of teams to pitch to sponsors so the the most creative number is always used. Football clubs quote all tickets sold, including season ticket holders who may or may not attend.