Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:03 (Ref:2939562)   #1
fruitbat
Rookie

fruitbat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
expenses

hi all
ive been marshalling for 2years now and who i marshal for has dropped the expenses payment fron £20 to £10. i enjoy marshalling but like most of you do it to help the sport keep going. i still do go to race meets as a paying customer as well. i feel a bit cheated. so this got me thinking as i have only marshalled for this club.
do others pay expenses ?
or am i just been abit OTT
Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:09 (Ref:2939566)   #2
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expenses

You're lucky if you're getting expenses a vast majority of clubs don't do that if you're lucky you'll get either a drink at the end of the weekend or £5 if you win on the marshal draw.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:31 (Ref:2939573)   #3
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better not say where as everybody will want to take your place

Twenty quid - blimey, must be somewhere really rich!
Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2939576)   #4
socko
Rookie

England
socko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im gratefull to receive a thank you for doing something that i love,im lucky to get any expenses so i wouldnt say no to £10 let alone £20,how many other hobbies do you get payed to enjoy?
Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2939577)   #5
Les Green
Rookie

United Kingdom
Widnes Cheshire
Les Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats expenses? Take the £10 and say Thank You very much.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2939579)   #6
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
Twenty quid - blimey, must be somewhere really rich!
I've known one or two clubs offer £20 a day - CSCC at Anglesey being a recent (and very much appreiciated) example. That said, my approach is that marshalling is a hobby and one in which the choice of events I attend is down to me. As such, any financial donation is gratefully received, but is not the main reason for choosing a particular meeting.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2939588)   #7
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think in 6 years of marshalling, I've probably recieved less than £50 in "expenses".
I started marshalling because I wanted to go to meetings, but couldn't afford the tickets, and do not expect expenses for something I've volunteered for.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 18:17 (Ref:2939590)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, once you start doing it for the money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. A fiver is fine by me - it pays for my Mallory breakfast - well nearly
Old 14 Aug 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2939592)   #9
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
In my opinion, once you start doing it for the money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. A fiver is fine by me - it pays for my Mallory breakfast - well nearly
Spot on! I marshal for the enjoyment, not the money. Yeh ok, the odd tenner is nice, but I tend to buy a burger or bacon bitty at the track to plough the money back into the circuit anyway!
Old 14 Aug 2011, 18:45 (Ref:2939595)   #10
The Flagman
Racer

The Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quite often at Kart circuits the 'expenses' tend to be a little more generous.

Trouble is whole families turn up and 'marshal' irrespective of training or aptitude. Piling in the same car and appearing for both days of a weekend was quite lucrative.

Some years ago the 'expenses' paid by a particxular club sparked an Inland Revenue enquiry and we were all contacted to ask if it had been declared as 'income'. A short discussion ensued around the recognised government rate of 40p per mile and the distance travelled etc and the enquiry ceased as it was somewhat less than we could have claimed.

Generally speaking payment should not be a reason to marshal - goes against the grain. However, in these difficult times any contribution is gratefully received.
Old 14 Aug 2011, 19:29 (Ref:2939612)   #11
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
HEAR HEAR.......

Fruitbat if you want expense's please try another sport - thank you.

Bladders...........
Old 14 Aug 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2939640)   #12
Sparky-steve
Racer

United Kingdom
Sparky-steve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i can't agree more with the comments made..
getting the odd tenner or winning the draw is nice.
we did get a good amount to go to Anglesey once
which enabled us to go!! we didn't and wouldn't go for the cash..
Old 14 Aug 2011, 22:26 (Ref:2939686)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flagman View Post
Generally speaking payment should not be a reason to marshal - goes against the grain. However, in these difficult times any contribution is gratefully received.
That's a pretty good summation of my feelings too. Midland hillcimbs usually pay £10 a day which is useful towards the cost of fuel (not to mention bacon and brie baguette!) and is very much appreciated. I suspect if fuel prices increase much more it's going to have to become de rigeur to keep numbers up. This hobby of ours is becoming increasingly expensive.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2939885)   #14
fruitbat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
HEAR HEAR.......

Fruitbat if you want expense's please try another sport - thank you.

Bladders...........

i never said i was doing it for the money far from it i enjoy marshalling and do it to help the sport keep going. if marshals dont turn up there cant be any racing. all i ask is a littel help with the cost of getting to the track as you all know fuel is going up and up. i have only marshalled for this club so may be i have been spoilt.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:01 (Ref:2939919)   #15
tententher
Rookie

tententher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
always a very touchy subject with a lot of marshals is best getting kept quite or to yourself, we all want expenses, its just like saying youre more dedicated if someone travels further to get to the races as anyone else. you might be but pages of "youre doing it for the wrong reasons" comments pop up.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2939936)   #16
SuperDuff
Racer

United Kingdom
Devon
SuperDuff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been paid expenses - but then in fairness it hasn't really ever crossed my mind. If I can't afford the petrol to Silverstone or Combe, then we won't go, but some sensible budget planning means that we do go and haven't had to curb because of petrol. That said - I was probably far more thrilled than normal at winning the £10 Tesco giftcard at Combe the other week...

I don't think I would want expenses if I am honest. It's a choice that I have made. When I was riding horses, I was actually paying for her shoes, so to my way of thinking, it's a similar logic - I was doing what I wanted for fun, with minimal cost.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 13:41 (Ref:2939972)   #17
tententher
Rookie

tententher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you dont need expenses to keep up a daft scheduele like i am, im travelling nationwide doing 163 dates (weather permitting, up to 94 so far this year), even doing 20000 miles with camping, careful driving in a small car with no caravan or roofrack or anything and taking my own food a trip down to silverstone this weekend which is 373 miles return will cost me £30 for the whole weekend including a mcd's and cost of my food.
i know everyone cant do without a large car or a caravan but the people who can i see fritter away money on nothing like overpriced food and drink which through chatting to them i know restricts the amount of meetings they can do.
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:04 (Ref:2939984)   #18
fruitbat
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tententher View Post
you dont need expenses to keep up a daft scheduele like i am, im travelling nationwide doing 163 dates (weather permitting, up to 94 so far this year), even doing 20000 miles with camping, careful driving in a small car with no caravan or roofrack or anything and taking my own food a trip down to silverstone this weekend which is 373 miles return will cost me £30 for the whole weekend including a mcd's and cost of my food.
i know everyone cant do without a large car or a caravan but the people who can i see fritter away money on nothing like overpriced food and drink which through chatting to them i know restricts the amount of meetings they can do.
wow 373 miles n cost you £30 with a mcd's wot car you got thats about 80mpg
Old 15 Aug 2011, 14:18 (Ref:2939995)   #19
LandieLad
Racer

Japan
Tokyo
LandieLad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am more than happy with a good quality full english breakfast at a reasonable price.

The emulsified, elongated, high fat content offal tubes at Oulton are super. Remember they helped to make Jim Hacker the Prime Minister.

Expenses - NO
Old 15 Aug 2011, 15:00 (Ref:2940023)   #20
Charlyw001
Rookie

Charlyw001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandieLad View Post
I am more than happy with a good quality full english breakfast at a reasonable price.

The emulsified, elongated, high fat content offal tubes at Oulton are super. Remember they helped to make Jim Hacker the Prime Minister.

Expenses - NO
Oh Yum you make sausages sound so nice !!! Don't forget the chemical content too

Charlotte
Old 15 Aug 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2941523)   #21
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would also be another that would say no thanks to expenses, at what point would we become "professional volunteers" and loose the hobby to the highest bidder?
Old 15 Aug 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2941549)   #22
SF04
Rookie

Wales
Cardiff
SF04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tententher View Post
Do you and NewYankee01 share the driving?

Last edited by SF04; 15 Aug 2011 at 21:51. Reason: Name error!
Old 16 Aug 2011, 06:16 (Ref:2941639)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
about 3 years ago i did an additional day of a meeting because the expencses on offer more than covered my fuel and food for the day.

But expenses/raffle prices are nice things for clubs to give us but it doesn't really make me decide what meetings i do.
Old 16 Aug 2011, 11:11 (Ref:2941692)   #24
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitbat View Post
wow 373 miles n cost you £30 with a mcd's wot car you got thats about 80mpg
just a corsa thats maintained very well that i drive economically 60mph on the motorways. if i went 70 itd cost me at least £50 in diesel alone and id not afford to do so much... i can have a full tank come back home after the event and have just under half with a 9.9 gallon tank
Old 16 Aug 2011, 11:34 (Ref:2941701)   #25
Dodo28
Rookie

Dodo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm finding this an interesting thread as trying to encourage volunteers to marshal I'm repeatedly hearing that people are not wanting to help as they get nothing in return, however going by the answers here it would seem that is not the general concensus so maybe there is another reason that I am not being told?

I volunteer for the events I can attend and can afford to attend myself, anything I get in return (sometimes free or subsidised lunch) is greatly appreciated.