Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Aug 2001, 21:00 (Ref:130954)   #1
Noddy
Rookie

Noddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Japanese driver in f3

It would appear as though, sadly, Paul Edwards has left ADR and has been replaced by a new Japanese driver by the name of Hideaki Nakao.

I believe once again that money was the big factor in this but, after all, this is obviously a rich mans sport isnt it!

If you havent got the moolaa up front then how can anybody hope to progress in this sport.

Oh well, see you at Knockhill.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 08:38 (Ref:131153)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
never heard of Hideaki Nakao, think there used to be a nakao who rode bikes - pity for paul edwards, he seemed to be a competitive driver
Old 16 Aug 2001, 09:07 (Ref:131162)   #3
Noddy
Rookie

Yeah, and thats what makes this whole thing anoying. If he hadnt proved that he could be competetive from time to time then fair play you know.

But for a first season in f3 I think the guy was doin ok.

I do think that the whole money factor in this whole sport - top to bottom, every formula, stinks.

I dont care what anyone thinks but the way I look at it we are never going to get the real drivers to the top if this sort of thing continues.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 09:42 (Ref:131167)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
f3 is an expensive business, you know, and i think the team has the right to chuck a driver out for whatever reason, if it was related to money. maybe the extra funding allows them to change some parts more often?

if you're that good you'll be spotted.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 10:27 (Ref:131179)   #5
farcnield

I must agree with the right honourable Bella, yes money can dictate to a high percentage the success of a driver in any formula, even in karts. I do believe though that if a driver was especially talented there are a number of investment backers who when they see a sound investment through a talented driver will back him to F1.
Yes in the past few years it has become harder for good drviers to compete against those drivers who may not be quit as god but have more financial funds. However how so it in every business, and now more than ever motor racing is a business where brand awareness and investment brokers need a return on their investment, which will still be optimised through supporting the best drivers!

Farc

Old 16 Aug 2001, 10:50 (Ref:131189)   #6
Noddy
Rookie

mmm, point taken. I think you are partly right there.

But dont be fooled by the sponsorship thing. I think what a number of people dont take into consideration is the number of people behind some of the well off drivers - i.e. personal connections, family, dedicated -and well paid for - p.r. people (not the racing team itself, oviously) that do most of the work for them, even at the lower levels of racing. While some drivers have to spend most of the day worrying where the next buck is coming from instead of concentrating on racing matters.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 11:21 (Ref:131208)   #7
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hopefully Paul can raise the funds to return next year. Although he wasn't in my mind a superstar - he was a decent top-ten finisher.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 13:50 (Ref:131263)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
autosport says no-one will replace him this next race. which is strange.

noddy, you are right about the huge teams of people after sponsors behind some drivers (eg tomas schekter), and i can think of quite a few who really shouldn't be where they are, but are only there because of money.
Old 16 Aug 2001, 14:48 (Ref:131284)   #9
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think both points of view are right to an extent. The very best always seem to find the money (or have it found for them) but some people are promoted to the top. The only difference of opinion here would probably be who falls into which camp....
Old 16 Aug 2001, 18:30 (Ref:131361)   #10
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
jiggly_puff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right well i'll b a bit controverisal and show which camp im on!

I think takuma sato is average and only the big 'star' he is because of his huge backing from honda.

Whilst i feel Tomas Scheckter is actually talented and deserves a top drive - even though he is constantley faced with having to 'live up to his name' and people thinking he's got to the top by paying his way there.

ok and i feel the sport is way to governed by money - how can real talent have a chance when there careers depend on financial backing and not there talent!!!
Old 16 Aug 2001, 18:35 (Ref:131362)   #11
Sarah_I
Rookie

Sarah_I should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i actually agree with u. scheckter is extremely talented, whereas sato.. well he's got the sponsorship, and backing of a certain engine manufacturer..
Old 17 Aug 2001, 08:59 (Ref:131570)   #12
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And I'll come down the other way, the two best people to come through F3 in the last 5 years are Takuma Sato and Jenson Button Davidson could be good too....

Schekter, pah, Pizzonia, journeyman.....

IMO
Old 17 Aug 2001, 09:13 (Ref:131576)   #13
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
ok then i'm goin to cross over for a second and agree with u marshal about Jenson Button - he deserved his place in F1 - Sato i still stick to what i said before!

I think Pizzonia was well overrated in british F3 - but seems to have proved himself quite well this year in the F3000 so maybe he is generally quite good - but i still think Scheckter is better than him!
Old 17 Aug 2001, 09:47 (Ref:131593)   #14
Noddy
Rookie

Going back to my original 'head scratcher' for a minuite - although from a slightly different angle. Can it be right that an individual can literally 'buy' a seat in f1.

Doesnt this have implications for bringing through genuine talent from the lower formulas or what.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 10:04 (Ref:131596)   #15
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
it can't be im any way right for people to be able to 'buy' their seats in F1, the only way seats should be brought is with talent not money!!!
Old 17 Aug 2001, 10:28 (Ref:131604)   #16
Marshal
Veteran

Yeah, but that's a bit unrealistic isn't it, Motorsport and money have always gone together, and people have always bought drives. The thing is even those who are "useless" are still brilliant drivers, compared to normal mortals like me. Giovanni Lavaggi was the ultimate bought seat in F1, but even in anternational clas like the FIA sportscar championship he more than holds his own. The line between what is the driver and what is the equipment is a fine one, as even if Sato has much the best car in F3, there is no way I'm going to be able to win an F3 race in it. So all these guys are good, just how good is almost impossible to tell.

(sorry for rambling on)
Old 17 Aug 2001, 14:32 (Ref:131717)   #17
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
ok now correct me if i'm wrong - but wasn't that the point of formula palmer audi???? to give drivers the equal eqipment. But then it had to stopped because drivers and there background financial supports didn't want it like that, they wanted to b able to buy themselves out of this 'all equal' thing. The sports just totally corrupt!!!! there is no ever ne true way of knowing the talented from the untalented - because of all these money issues!
Old 17 Aug 2001, 15:10 (Ref:131728)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
they stopped it cause it was pants....

f3000 doesn't really work any more, it's an exhibition formula for f1 teams to choose new test drivers. all equal doesn't work.

life ain't perfect. make what you can of what you've got.
Old 17 Aug 2001, 15:26 (Ref:131734)   #19
Noddy
Rookie

If there as a good way to get raound all this Im sure that they would have implemented it by now......or would they? Now Ive said that I really dont know If anyone would have the balls to rock the Ecclestone boat!

But, anyway, lets have a brainstorm here.

Do you think something like a league table for automatic promotion / relegation for drivers from lower classes or some sort of draught system would work in motorsport?
Old 17 Aug 2001, 15:37 (Ref:131738)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
no.

motorsport has to remain a sport, where you can go along and still do it for fun. this is what mr lavaggi was doing when he got his drive. he was in f1 because he loved it.

while it has become a business, it must stay accessible to all. it's good to see drivers like alonso and raikkonen hop up the order and astond everyone now and again.

f3000 catches drivers just before they fall into f1. it is somewhere to go when there is nowhere else but f1. drivers like pizzonia get experience there before they go into f1 without being caught up with all the little boys financed by daddy.

brain has stormed...
Old 17 Aug 2001, 16:38 (Ref:131771)   #21
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
No! how can motorsport remain fun for its competitiors when most of them spend there season worrying about their sponsership.
Just look at Matt Davies this year - he hasn't been able to settle down and concentrate on enjoying the racing or being as competitive as he could have been because of all his sponsership troubles!!! and he isn't the only one we now have Paul Edwards having to give up and there must be so many that just diappear because they have insufficient funding and because of that are not enjoying the sport any more!
Old 20 Aug 2001, 13:18 (Ref:133037)   #22
Marshal
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by jiggly_puff
No! how can motorsport remain fun for its competitiors when most of them spend there season worrying about their sponsership.
Just look at Matt Davies this year - he hasn't been able to settle down and concentrate on enjoying the racing or being as competitive as he could have been because of all his sponsership troubles!!! and he isn't the only one we now have Paul Edwards having to give up and there must be so many that just diappear because they have insufficient funding and because of that are not enjoying the sport any more!
Well, you know how to get a small fortune don't you? Start with a large fortune and go motor racing.

It ain't fair, but its always been expensive, and it always will be.
Old 20 Aug 2001, 14:46 (Ref:133054)   #23
jiggly_puff
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leeds/St.Albans
Well i don't like it!!!

But you'll still see me at the F3 meetings as i suppose there isn't really that much anyone can do about it, except complain and moan...things will never change!!!!!