Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 3 Dec 2011, 09:16 (Ref:2994703)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
HSCC Brands Hatch

HSCC Championship Races.
Old 16 Sep 2012, 18:51 (Ref:3136894)   #2
Robyn Slater
Veteran

England
Sudbury Suffolk
Robyn Slater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought i'd wake this thread up.

Anyone going?
Old 16 Sep 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3136970)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going past - on the way to Spa!
Old 17 Sep 2012, 08:00 (Ref:3137075)   #4
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn Slater View Post
Thought i'd wake this thread up.

Anyone going?
No DBT, or Guards... but might go and watch.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 11:39 (Ref:3138410)   #5
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm making my much unanticipated comeback in the FF1600. Should be interesting as the neck still doesn't really let me turn right easily - could be an issue on the Indy layout ! we'll see how Friday testing goes.

I get the impression there has been some 'eventful meetings' in the HFF 1600 calendar since I went away - be gentle with me, i'm perfectly capable of finding the gravel without assistance!
Old 19 Sep 2012, 20:29 (Ref:3138658)   #6
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, I will be there for my second race in the 'new' 1969 Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports. Weather forecast is currently showers/wet, so my first experience of racing the Camaro in the damp. Oooo-err. Gulp.

Any TenTenthers, drop by ... I will be the one with the pale and interesting expression on my face ...
Nick
Old 19 Sep 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3138703)   #7
105 Mad
Rookie

England
Chesham
105 Mad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Alfa is still not well so I've decided to hang the overalls up for the rest of this yr.

Do some work over the winter & come out fighting next yr.
Old 19 Sep 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3138731)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuttley View Post
I'm making my much unanticipated comeback in the FF1600. Should be interesting as the neck still doesn't really let me turn right easily - could be an issue on the Indy layout ! we'll see how Friday testing goes.

I get the impression there has been some 'eventful meetings' in the HFF 1600 calendar since I went away - be gentle with me, i'm perfectly capable of finding the gravel without assistance!
Finding the gravel is one thing but it takes skill and practice to find the other parts of the track that seem to have become popular.

2 solutions to your 'looking right' problem.

The first would be to to the lap anti-clockwise. I suspect this may not go down well with the authorities but, you never know, it might be just as incident free as going clockwise.

Alternatively set the car up for power oversteer on right handers - any power level - and work out how to get around with minimal use of the steering except in emergencies.

(Obviously the two approaches are mutually exclusive unless you are feeling especially masochistic so I would suggest that you only adopt one of them, although if running anti-clockwise any adverse efffects from RH power oversteer would at least be somewhat limited. HTH.)
Old 20 Sep 2012, 14:24 (Ref:3139126)   #9
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm expecting to put in an appearance, but only in a supporting capacity as a mate of mine is making his long-awaited motor-racing debut in an MG Midget in HRS. He's a bit nervous ... treat him gently!

Red Midget #70 say 'Hello' if you're passing, I've promised him that everyone is friendly!
Old 21 Sep 2012, 17:42 (Ref:3139688)   #10
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRSTR5 View Post
I'm expecting to put in an appearance, but only in a supporting capacity as a mate of mine is making his long-awaited motor-racing debut in an MG Midget in HRS. He's a bit nervous ... treat him gently!

Red Midget #70 say 'Hello' if you're passing, I've promised him that everyone is friendly!
Sad to report that chum Mark is no longer making his race debut ... Having broken the gearbox in the Midget at a Brands track day yesterday, awful luck especially considering how long he's been waiting to have a go ... Better luck next time Mark.
Old 21 Sep 2012, 18:12 (Ref:3139700)   #11
simonb87
Rookie

England
Stevenage
simonb87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the gearbox is broken, can't it be changed? Seems a shame to have got so close and then to drop out.
Old 22 Sep 2012, 10:49 (Ref:3139911)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
Yup, I will be there for my second race in the 'new' 1969 Chev Camaro in Historic Road Sports. Weather forecast is currently showers/wet, so my first experience of racing the Camaro in the damp. Oooo-err. Gulp.

Any TenTenthers, drop by ... I will be the one with the pale and interesting expression on my face ...
Nick
You are local to me Nick have we met? I have been racing Camaros for many a year, good luck in the wet they aint nice! BTW are you at Combe Classic?
Old 22 Sep 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3139933)   #13
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Al,
I'm not sure we have met .... I used to race an Alfa GTA in Historic Saloons at HSCC. I live in Ruislip : where are you based ? I will make a visit if that's OK ? Any tips about racing Camaros in the wet much appreciated !! (I have already been told " make sure you are straight before applying the throttle ") - anyway, will be a learning curve as long as the curve does not lead straight to the gravel trap,
Nick
Old 23 Sep 2012, 11:33 (Ref:3140250)   #14
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Damn ! Clutch failed on the Camaro on the way to Brands. Pesky pain - one of the few components we did not replace. Actually failed in the Dartford Crossing toll lane, so I discovered a new fan-club (not) in the queue behind me - finally dribbled the car over to the hard shoulder. Just arrived home courtesy AA Relay - very efficient.

If any racer is reading this on real-time in the Paddock, could you tell the HSCC Office that car 55 is scratched from the HRS race ?

Thanks, much appreciated.
Nick
Old 23 Sep 2012, 13:58 (Ref:3140314)   #15
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Oh no bad luck, I take it you obviously drive to the circuit then, not a fan of that myself since I totalled my Road Saloon at Oulton 200 miles from home! As far as clutches go here is a word of advice that I took on board for my older car and this is from the horses mouth, Robin Grey of Autopontiac who also drives his 500bhp 2nd gen TransAm to the circuit to race. Basically he said forget all about the ridiculous expensive triple and twin plate clutch set ups and use a Sachs 11" clutch and pressure plate from Real Steel and job done. Nice easy clutch pedal and as long as you are not silly off the line will last well and under 200 quid!! If you go nuts off the line in these things you only sit spinning the wheels so what the heack. I had constant problems and huge expense with a triple plate Tilton, stuch a McCloud single plate 10.5 inch (I had a 15lb GM flywheel in the garage which is the lightest steel one available I also dont have as much BHP as Robins Big Block Pontiac) uprated diaphram clutch with kevlar centre plate and have done about 10 or 15 race starts and it feels fine also a lot easier to get on the trailer!!. As for driving in the wet, softly softly and stay off the go pedal in the bends!

I am in Watford and my shop is in Harrow Weald down the road from you.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 19:04 (Ref:3140472)   #16
Belmondo
Racer

Quote:
Damn ! Clutch failed on the Camaro on the way to Brands. Pesky pain - one of the few components we did not replace. Actually failed in the Dartford Crossing toll lane, so I discovered a new fan-club (not) in the queue behind me - finally dribbled the car over to the hard shoulder. Just arrived home courtesy AA Relay - very efficient.

If any racer is reading this on real-time in the Paddock, could you tell the HSCC Office that car 55 is scratched from the HRS race ?

Thanks, much appreciated.
Nick
If it makes you feel any better, Brands wasn't a very joyful place today:

Old 23 Sep 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3140478)   #17
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
Thanks for the commiserations, guys. Al, I will be in touch.

Did you all get a full programme of races ? Reason I ask, is that a mate just mailed me to say that there seemed to be very long periods with no track action ...

Nick
Old 23 Sep 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3140480)   #18
Belmondo
Racer

Quote:
Thanks for the commiserations, guys. Al, I will be in touch.

Did you all get a full programme of races ? Reason I ask, is that a mate just mailed me to say that there seemed to be very long periods with no track action ...

Nick
Classic F3 combined with CRC, second Historic F3 race cancelled, all others shortened a bit. Nothing happened from about 2pm until about 3.30, except for rain falling. I left soon after the touring cars.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 19:31 (Ref:3140484)   #19
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Another picture from a miserable Brands. Note that the cars are using the top tunnel to get to the assembly area. The bottom tunnel was flooded.
Old 23 Sep 2012, 19:49 (Ref:3140499)   #20
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, gentlemen racers of England still abed will think themselves...Dry, they were not here.

Spare a thought for the marshalls out there in all of it.

I didn't get a programme so sorry for the lack of captions, but you get the picture...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7562edit1.jpg   IMG_7590edit1.jpg   IMG_7571edit1.jpg  

IMG_7579edit1.jpg   Brands 23Sep12 HRS.jpg   IMG_7634edit1.jpg  

Old 23 Sep 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3140570)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My God its no fun at all when its like that. Maybe the clutch problem was a blessing Nick!
Old 24 Sep 2012, 08:27 (Ref:3140735)   #22
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know what happened at the beginning of the combined 70's and HRS race? I decided to bail out (literally!!) and go home mid-afternoon as I was so wet and cold after cleaning all the gravel out of the Lenham after my off in practice and I actually thought the meeting would be called off. I watched the live timing and saw that there was a red flag session right at the beginning.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3140745)   #23
AGD A105/6
Racer

England
SW London
AGD A105/6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nasty collision between a Turner and a Spridget somewhere around Clearways I believe, both drivers reported OK but took a while to clear up. Cars looked rather damaged unfortunately.

By the time racing resumed, the weather had worsened, leading to the swimming pool at the bottom of Graham Hill. Thankfully no further incident, AFAIK.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3140795)   #24
Burfs
Rookie

Burfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the up date:- Oh dear, I guess that would be Dick Coffey (Turner) and Ian Ford (Spridget)....Dick has had a diffcult season: I hope that Tom (his mechanic) is able to get the Turner ready in time for the Finals.
Old 24 Sep 2012, 12:54 (Ref:3140879)   #25
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfs View Post
Thanks for the up date:- Oh dear, I guess that would be Dick Coffey (Turner) and Ian Ford (Spridget)....Dick has had a diffcult season: I hope that Tom (his mechanic) is able to get the Turner ready in time for the Finals.
Sorry to hear of the carnage, do hope cars and drivers are all back on the grid soon.

I'd wondered what had happened to you Burfs, but you've answered that for me ... after just one lap too ... ambitious!!!

Of course chum Mark was due to make his race debut before pulling out with 'box trouble on Friday - I'm glad he didn't we might have put him off for good ... I know several who went home after quali, and I commend those of you who stuck with it - not sure what i'd have done!