Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 24 Dec 2011, 08:30 (Ref:3003827)   #1
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
wouterwolfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Big honking holes question

From next year on, the front/rear wheels will have BHH!

What is best position to place the BHH ?
I have enclosed a picture so you can say in which direction( A to the front,
B to the rear or C to middle) the BHH can be placed.
I hope you can tell me something regarding Aërodynamics point of view.

best regards,

Wouter Wolfs
Old 24 Dec 2011, 08:34 (Ref:3003828)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I dont think its up to the team where it is , I would think its a given measurement from a referance point , done that intentionally to avoid possible confussion . At least thats what I would have thought ?
Old 24 Dec 2011, 08:50 (Ref:3003833)   #3
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
I have read on mulsannescorner:

For 2012, the Big Honking Holes, as of November 3 (modified Technical Bulletin #11-22), are defined as:

At the front they will have a minimum area of 750 cm^2 and a maximum area of 950 cm^2
At the rear they will have a minimum area of 1000 cm^2 and a maximum are of 1200 cm^2
A minimum of 30 mm offset must be maintained between the outer edge of the opening and the outer edge of the fender
As seen from the front or rear, it is permissible to see the tops of the tire
A 20 cm x 25 cm template must be able to pass through the openings front and rear

Only a aera and the template is fixed, not the position?
Old 24 Dec 2011, 09:02 (Ref:3003837)   #4
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Wouter, you can read the full technical regulations at http://private.fia.com/web/fia-publi...(06.12.11).pdf. Go to article 3.4.5 (air extractors) on page 11.

The position of the template is also fixed:
Quote:
These openings must enable the introduction of a rectangular template measuring 20 cm x 25 cm, positioned horizontally and symmetrically in relation to the axis of the axle.
BTW you can see how Oak has implemented the holes on http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov11.html
Old 24 Dec 2011, 09:28 (Ref:3003845)   #5
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
Thanks I didn't have that.

But then the template is still in the middle of the centerline,
and the template is only 400cm² so with the rest of the area I can still move? Like form/position

I saw the OAK racing car that related this question.
Old 24 Dec 2011, 09:49 (Ref:3003851)   #6
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Indeed, the hole itself does not need be positioned in the middle of the centerline, only the template must.

On this picture of the OAK car the front air extractor seems to be positioned a bit backwards and the rear air extractor appears to be positioned symmetrically around the rear axle.

BTW 20x25 = 500 cm²
Old 24 Dec 2011, 10:26 (Ref:3003858)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Im interested in seeing what happenes to the edge of the hole after a few hours of abuse . I would reckon the edge will become feathered and will eventually require a bodywork change .
Old 24 Dec 2011, 14:10 (Ref:3003909)   #8
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
3.4.5:
Air extractors

They must comply with Article 3.4.1 above.

Cut-outs above the front and rear wings are obligatory.
Viewed from above they must, above each wheel, for front wheels :
- have a minimum surface area of 750 cm² per wheel
- have a maximum surface area of 950 cm² per wheel
- leave only the tyre visible
Viewed from above they must, above each wheel, for rear wheels :
- have a minimum surface area of 1000 cm² per wheel
- have a maximum surface area of 1200 cm² per wheel
- leave only the tyre visible
Old 24 Dec 2011, 16:47 (Ref:3003957)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a poor band aid in the regs. And they look dumb . I wonder if a better solution was available
The big honking fin at least was put into graceful use on the audi and Lola coupes. It looks weird in the open and protos
Old 24 Dec 2011, 17:58 (Ref:3003981)   #10
pdxracefan
Racer

United States
Oregon
pdxracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Guess I've been under a rock, but what is the reasoning behind the holes? I realize it has to do with aero, but what exactly?
Old 24 Dec 2011, 20:52 (Ref:3004012)   #11
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracefan View Post
Guess I've been under a rock, but what is the reasoning behind the holes? I realize it has to do with aero, but what exactly?
hmm.. good question. Maybe if the bodywork would remain closed, it would help slow down the car while going sideways at high speed (something that ugly bfh does at the rear I guess - and to prevent a rollover type accident)
Old 25 Dec 2011, 02:27 (Ref:3004081)   #12
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxracefan View Post
They're to further reduce sudden yaw-flip sensitivity.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 03:28 (Ref:3004087)   #13
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So the holes are only required for P1 right? So why does Oaks new P2 have them? Just to be consistant with their P1?
Old 25 Dec 2011, 03:48 (Ref:3004089)   #14
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So the holes are only required for P1 right? So why does Oaks new P2 have them? Just to be consistant with their P1?
No, LMP1, LMP2, and last I heard, LMPC though that was being debated.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 04:47 (Ref:3004093)   #15
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Im interested in seeing what happenes to the edge of the hole after a few hours of abuse . I would reckon the edge will become feathered and will eventually require a bodywork change .
I can see that being exploited by someone who knows thier stuff.
Old 25 Dec 2011, 04:57 (Ref:3004094)   #16
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moveable aerodynamic device?
Old 25 Dec 2011, 08:49 (Ref:3004107)   #17
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
I can see that being exploited by someone who knows thier stuff.
Not sure how , as the feathering would be caused be wear , which is damage , and you cant control that . But wear can be built in too . Yeah , it will be interesting to see in the long run if this will cause an issue .

Happy Christmas Rich
Old 25 Dec 2011, 12:16 (Ref:3004134)   #18
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone calculated how much time the Big Honkin' Holes will cost/gain a car at Le Mans?

I thought they would slow them down due to aero drag, but some people have said that the air will flow over them anyways and along with less weight, the cars will be faster. (disregarding other technology advances)
Old 25 Dec 2011, 15:47 (Ref:3004154)   #19
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
Anyone calculated how much time the Big Honkin' Holes will cost/gain a car at Le Mans?

I thought they would slow them down due to aero drag, but some people have said that the air will flow over them anyways and along with less weight, the cars will be faster. (disregarding other technology advances)
The weight of 4 x 200x250mm bits of cored carbon fibre is about 1.6kg..
Old 26 Dec 2011, 02:31 (Ref:3004204)   #20
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And all P cars need to weigh 900kg regardless....
Old 28 Dec 2011, 04:36 (Ref:3004708)   #21
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
With ballast. I'm sure you realize they'll mostly be a good bit lighter and the ballast will be a few pounds heavier this year.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 19:47 (Ref:3024231)   #22
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The holes are ugly. This is not the 24 hours of LeMons.

those Fenders look nasty.
Old 10 Feb 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3024311)   #23
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People will be used to them within literally 30 minutes of racing at Sebring. Who cares!
Old 10 Feb 2012, 22:04 (Ref:3024312)   #24
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
People will be used to them within literally 30 minutes of racing at Sebring. Who cares!
If you substitute Daytona for Sebring, that's what Grand Am said in 2003...
Old 10 Feb 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3024331)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It doesn't look so different to me...... If anything is ugly, its those little winglets..... Some better colour-coding though would work wonders.....