Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jun 2012, 12:35 (Ref:3096384)   #1
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
London Grand Prix

yes please ... I know this is old but i only just found it ... wtf ?

http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoi...site/main.html
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3096413)   #2
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaynes321 View Post

That may be old, but this was discussed today.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3096414)   #3
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
yes please ... I know this is old but i only just found it ... wtf ?[/URL]
Looks like it was a final year project for some University students.
Old 22 Jun 2012, 15:27 (Ref:3096445)   #4
Chaynes321
Veteran

England
London
Chaynes321 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
That may be old, but this was discussed today.
Fantastic ! I cling on to what little hope I should have of this happening
Old 23 Jun 2012, 22:39 (Ref:3096958)   #5
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:

Alright, I just skimmed over the site really quick, but... is this some sort of joke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/main.html
Welcome to the home of the future of F1 racing, the London F1 Grand Prix. This site contains information regarding the London F1 event, the first of which is planned to take place on 27-29 May 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/main.html
Yeah..., F1 tracks are big on alternate track routes, like the "carousel" there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/race.html
Formula One is losing its appeal, and audiences are declining, driven away by the lack of excitement on the track.
According to the figures I've found, global viewership is something like 600 million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/race.html
A draft set of regulations has been drawn up to tackle this problem and satisfy the findings of the Formula One survey. The result will be a more entertaining spectacle on the track for you, the fans.

Car Regulation Changes
So..., race organizers just come along and change the cars and car regs now? I'll be sure to whip one up in a handful of years and require that they be built like the X2010 in GT5, since apparently we have the power to do this (race organizers to change regs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/racespeeds.html
Racing Speeds

Yup. We see 223 MPH (359 KPH) quite often on twisting street circuits with lots of 90+ degree bends.

Oh, wait. No, we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www3.surrey.ac.uk/eng/InfoPoint/mddp/mddp05/londonf1site/spectators.html
The London Formula One Grand Prix will be accessible to approximately 270,000 spectators of which 86,000 will be seated on grandstands and the remaining 184,000 will be general admission in designated areas mainly in parkland. Formula One viewing will be viable for all types of spectators, ranging from the average person to the corporate viewer with sensible ticket pricing in place during the race weekend.

Wow, we're smashing records left and right. 270,000 people at a single F1 race? Has any F1 event even come close to this? That sounds like attendance at an enormous superspeedway flanked by massive grandstands, and not something winding around on city streets.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 09:39 (Ref:3097052)   #6
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That may be 'just' a student project, but it's not the only project, and this one has more commercial backing.

The Daily Telegraph's Friday (22nd June) issue included a two page article on a bid to lease the Olympic Park and stadium for a London Grand Prix.
Intelligent Transport Systems Ltd. has placed a bid with the London Legacy Development Corporation, responsible for post-Games use for the Olympic facilities, and Bernie Eccleston has confirmed that he was consulted by ITS before they made their bid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...ould-work.html

Still seems unlikely, but then so does Monaco.
JOhn
Old 24 Jun 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3097333)   #7
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan_PJN View Post

Wow, we're smashing records left and right. 270,000 people at a single F1 race? Has any F1 event even come close to this? That sounds like attendance at an enormous superspeedway flanked by massive grandstands, and not something winding around on city streets.
Indeed only Indanapolis comes close with attendances near 250.000 people.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3097344)   #8
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we are to have a European GP held in the UK, then it should be in Birmingham in the centre of the country where everyone has a chance of getting to it with ease. Not around some dump docklands which is a nightmare to get to. London GP, no thanks.
Old 24 Jun 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3097465)   #9
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
henners,
have you ever been on the M6 around Birmingham at rush hour?
=crush hour

john
Old 25 Jun 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3097682)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
If we are to have a European GP held in the UK, then it should be in Birmingham in the centre of the country where everyone has a chance of getting to it with ease. Not around some dump docklands which is a nightmare to get to. London GP, no thanks.
Birmingham isn't exactly the middle of "the country". The country in F1 terms is Great Britain not England.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3097694)   #11
JohnD
Veteran

Pax, Scotty!

The "European" Grand prix is usually a stop gap, when something prevents a scheduled GP elsewhere happening, or other wise a second GP is held ina counry that has one already. The UK GP is held at Silverstone, not Knockhill, and a London GP would be "European".
Euro Gps ahve been at, Velencia, yesterday and four times before, Jerez, Donington and Brands Hatch, none of which are excatly at the cnetre of Europe. But also at the Nurburgring GpP circuit which could be argued to be cnetral, or at least a lot more so.

John
Old 25 Jun 2012, 11:50 (Ref:3097725)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm well aware of the history of the European GP. However it's history has nothing to do with my post.

My response was to the quoted post relating to it being in " Birmingham in the centre of the country"
Old 25 Jun 2012, 13:13 (Ref:3097762)   #13
JohnD
Veteran

True, but then Scotland is not well provided with motorsport circuits.
It could be said to have cities as well suited to an urban GP as any English town, but would the people come?

I've been in series that went to Oulton Park and Croft, my nearest circuits. The dripping and whingeing from the other, southen-based contestants, was so deafening that Croft, at least, was dropped. That I had to travel as far as they or further, every time they went to Brands or Silverstone, let alone Snetterton, wasn't a consideration!

Hey, if you get an independent Scotland, can Cumbria join?

John

PS Strike "North West UK", insert North West England"? Prepare for "South West Scotland?
Old 25 Jun 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3097789)   #14
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Would it have to be a motorsports circuit, given that currently I believe that Silverstone is the only Grade 1 in the UK ... I've long be an advocate that if there were to be specifically a London GP then RAF Northolt could be utilised.

Here is a Link going back to 2007 in which I mention Northolt.

If a second GP were to be Run in the UK, as a street circuit I have no issue with it being in Birmingham. Again to be clear... my issue was the assertion that Birmingham was in the middle of the Country.
Old 25 Jun 2012, 15:31 (Ref:3097830)   #15
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Would it have to be a motorsports circuit, given that currently I believe that Silverstone is the only Grade 1 in the UK ... I've long be an advocate that if there were to be specifically a London GP then RAF Northolt could be utilised.

Here is a Link going back to 2007 in which I mention Northolt.

If a second GP were to be Run in the UK, as a street circuit I have no issue with it being in Birmingham. Again to be clear... my issue was the assertion that Birmingham was in the middle of the Country.
That's true in a strictly geographical sense but where the population are centred is not as far north as you may imagine. Looking at it another way if you had to get every single person in the UK to travel from their homes to a central point while covering the minimum total mileage you would choose Appleby Parva in Leicstershire, just 25 miles from Birmingham city centre.

Please don't take this as a political statement, nothing could be further from my mind but it is interesting and important if you work in logistics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_population

Actually for me that means the Northern half of the UK is not so flippin' crowded and therefore clearly better.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 09:56 (Ref:3099329)   #16
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
London GP to get support from Bernie?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100760

What is making him feel generous in his old age considering everyone else pays millions for a GP, and he's going to pay for one in London!!!!
Old 28 Jun 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3099351)   #17
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
London GP to get support from Bernie?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100760

What is making him feel generous in his old age considering everyone else pays millions for a GP, and he's going to pay for one in London!!!!
Bernie playing games again!
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:55 (Ref:3099385)   #18
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Bernie being all nice and friendly. Maybe it has something to do with keeping the 'tax man' off his back? (allegedly)

"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".
Old 28 Jun 2012, 11:58 (Ref:3099387)   #19
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Bernie being all nice and friendly. Maybe it has something to do with keeping the 'tax man' off his back? (allegedly)

"You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours".
You'd have to bend down a long way .
Old 28 Jun 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3099500)   #20
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Where there is smoke there is fire..
Old 28 Jun 2012, 17:10 (Ref:3099501)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to the Autosport TV video podcast, it could be several years before there's a London GP during which time Bernie may have shuffled off this mortal coil.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 19:53 (Ref:3099575)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Hah, the FIA will never sanction that track. The safety brigade would have kittens.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 20:12 (Ref:3099587)   #23
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A London GP looks to have the backing of BCE ok as there is to be an event in London tonight to promote the idea attended by Bernie, Jenson Button & Lewis Hamilton.

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/...acks-London-GP

It was initally reported in the Times

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/
you need to register to get the link.
Old 28 Jun 2012, 20:19 (Ref:3099589)   #24
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
I wonder is this to have another go at Silverstone, as I am wondering why Bernie is putting his cash behind it?
Old 28 Jun 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3099604)   #25
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
I wonder is this to have another go at Silverstone, as I am wondering why Bernie is putting his cash behind it?
Banker Gerhard Gribkowsky jailed for 8 years for accepting bribes from Bernie and his family trust fund.

HMRC taking an interest and "talking" to Bernie.

Prime Minister Cameron and Chancellor Osborne both declare tax avoidance "immoral" (despite Cameron's father having made a fortune from just that...)

What better time for a bit of diversionary philanthropy?

I've got a feeling it might not work though, the Bavarian prosecutors are still on the case...