Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 30 Jul 2012, 19:56 (Ref:3113926)   #1
itdontgo
Rookie

itdontgo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFord 1600 vs. Zetec

Several years ago I raced in various FFord Zetec and 1600 series but mainly drove Zetecs. I also did some FRenault testing. At the time I didn't really pay much attention to the various championships or differences between the cars as I just drove team cars.

I'm hoping to buy a FFord and run it myself now. This year I'm really only looking at doing some testing at various tracks to see how I go and have seen a couple of Zetecs and 1600s for similar money.

I'm inclined to buy a 1600 mainly because I think it will be easier to find a competitive race series to enter when I finally go racing again. Is this correct? However, for testing I think it would be easier to run a Zetec due to parts and costs.

Would you recommend a car? I'm an engineer and I did a lot of driving in my early 20s so I'm not too concerned about the technical aspect and setup.
Old 31 Jul 2012, 20:23 (Ref:3114391)   #2
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a fairly straightforward question, and so is the answer. If you can find a race series that takes the Zetec, buy the Zetec. It is a hard wearing race car. Slightly different to the 1600s but a good car and cheap to run. I am not too familiar with the different models/years. Someone else will probably advise.
The problem is finding a suitable race series and that is a big problem if you want to race somewhere local. It is such a big problem that you will usually be better advised buying a 1600 car.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 05:30 (Ref:3114531)   #3
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
That is a fairly straightforward question, and so is the answer. If you can find a race series that takes the Zetec, buy the Zetec. It is a hard wearing race car. Slightly different to the 1600s but a good car and cheap to run. I am not too familiar with the different models/years. Someone else will probably advise.
The problem is finding a suitable race series and that is a big problem if you want to race somewhere local. It is such a big problem that you will usually be better advised buying a 1600 car.
Easy to find a place to race a Zetec - Monoposto or 750 F4, or you could do a mixture of both without any mods to the car between races at all.

Zetecs are very robust and very easy to run with decent spares availability. The engines are bullet proof.

The FF1600 afficionardos will tell you that the Pinto cars are more agile and involving and i can't comment on that but the engines will need re-building far more frequently than a Zetec ever will.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 16:19 (Ref:3114786)   #4
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
Perhaps you missed the bit where I qualified what I said. Also, the 1600s use the 1600 Crossflow engine not the Pinto.
Old 1 Aug 2012, 17:14 (Ref:3114804)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
The FF1600 afficionardos will tell you that the Pinto cars are more agile and involving and i can't comment on that but the engines will need re-building far more frequently than a Zetec ever will.
The Pinto (FF2000) engine if put together properly will go on and on without any dramas as the road engine would do 200k and is less stressed in a single seater. The biggest problem with the Kent and Pinto is finding blocks easily as the scrappers have done such a good job !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Aug 2012, 12:42 (Ref:3115234)   #6
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Easy to find a place to race a Zetec - Monoposto or 750 F4, or you could do a mixture of both without any mods to the car between races at all.

Zetecs are very robust and very easy to run with decent spares availability. The engines are bullet proof.

And the Zetec FF Festival, SEMSEC and the Combe open single seaters plus the odd open race such as the WHT and at Anglesea.

You could race a Zetec every weekend if you wanted too.

Other point to note is there is nothing between any of the Zetec Engines there is a big difference between the best and worst FF1600 engine.

Good FF1600 engines are £5K+ fresh Zetec engines are £1,500 or less and used good ones less than £1K.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 2 Aug 2012, 17:37 (Ref:3115321)   #7
itdontgo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple J Motorsport View Post
And the Zetec FF Festival, SEMSEC and the Combe open single seaters plus the odd open race such as the WHT and at Anglesea.

You could race a Zetec every weekend if you wanted too.

Other point to note is there is nothing between any of the Zetec Engines there is a big difference between the best and worst FF1600 engine.

Good FF1600 engines are £5K+ fresh Zetec engines are £1,500 or less and used good ones less than £1K.

So why isn't Zetec more popular? I was going to ask if there is still a WHT race as one 'itdontgo' once won a zetec race there ;o)

Are the WHT and FF Festival Zetecs pretty level? What puts me off monoposto and the like is that I want to be trying to win fair races. I dont want to be miles off or faster than everyone due to the car. What's the point in that?

It's looking like I'll be after a Zetec. Apart from racecarsdirect does anyone know where I can get one?
Old 2 Aug 2012, 18:14 (Ref:3115332)   #8
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Which ever you choose welcome back couple of questions for you.

1 what part of the country are you from

2 Do you want a national championship or regional .

3 whats you budget for (a) car (b) Years racing

Peter
Classic Formula Ford

But will talk openly and honestly about all forms of FF
Old 2 Aug 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3115341)   #9
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by itdontgo View Post
So why isn't Zetec more popular? I was going to ask if there is still a WHT race as one 'itdontgo' once won a zetec race there ;o)

Are the WHT and FF Festival Zetecs pretty level? What puts me off monoposto and the like is that I want to be trying to win fair races. I dont want to be miles off or faster than everyone due to the car. What's the point in that?

It's looking like I'll be after a Zetec. Apart from racecarsdirect does anyone know where I can get one?

there are a few standard Zetecs in Monoposto so you will have people to race with, and a friendlier club than monoposto you will struggle to find.
Old 3 Aug 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3115746)   #10
itdontgo
Rookie

>1 what part of the country are you from
>2 Do you want a national championship or regional .
>3 whats you budget for (a) car (b) Years racing
>Peter

Thank you all for the info.

Peter, in reply to you, I'm in Liverpool. I remember the nice chaps at the southern circuits used to encourage me by telling me to drive it liked I robbed it!

I'd rather do national races but I'll never be able to do a whole series because I'm often just too busy so making a few races a priority would be my plan. Obviously though Anglesey and Oulton are probably easiest to get to. Even Silverstone and Donnington are close enough.

I want to buy the car this year and do some testing ideally for less than £10k. I think that is why a Zetec might be the best option. I'll have another budget next year for racing the car I buy this year. Is that realistic?
Old 4 Aug 2012, 00:27 (Ref:3115812)   #11
sebring115
Rookie

sebring115 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like North west FF1600 would be perfect for you, goes to both mainly Oulton, but also sometimes anglesey as well. You should be fine with your budget
Old 4 Aug 2012, 07:03 (Ref:3115870)   #12
matlockscot
Rookie

matlockscot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For sourcing a car, try Mike Gardner at GT Motorsport (Zetec or FF1600).
Old 5 Sep 2012, 11:13 (Ref:3131188)   #13
Jape
Rookie

Jape should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, if this goes totally offtopic, but considering information related the car trailers for FF use, is there a big differences on total width of the Formula Ford's from different era (1600 / Zetec / Duratec / EcoBoost)?

Is there any database to show the max width (with tyres and everything) from different chassis for example from Zetec / Duratec era? Should all cars fit to closed trailer that inside max. width is 1820mm (71.65 inches)?
Old 5 Sep 2012, 11:41 (Ref:3131209)   #14
PRS RH01
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport
PRS RH01 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If your from Liverpool then as you say Oulton Anglesey are your local circuits .
The BRSCC run a good championship based at these but also does an away day to Donington . for this you will need a kent engined car .If you chose a car built before 1981 then there is the national Classic Formula Ford Championship . You can the race at most circuits in the country and also run class E in the BRSCC North West . HSCC are out of your price range. Another national championship would be the Monoposto and in this you could run a Zetec or a Kent . As an aside The BRSCC run a national championship but at this time it is poorly supported but might be worth a look at Classics also have a pre90 series but again at this time it is also poorly supported but has been confirmed for next year and the pre90 couls also be used in the north west.

Peter
Old 5 Sep 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3131278)   #15
sebring115
Rookie

sebring115 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pre 90

Theres a nice Mondiale on Race cars direct too!!!
Old 14 Sep 2012, 13:48 (Ref:3135909)   #16
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every mono1800 trace this year was won by a FFZetec

Can also race in F4 or it's replacement next year plus SemSec the Combe open races (mono classes) and of course the Festival and WHT

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final