Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Nov 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3161744)   #1
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Attending Bahrain GP 2013

I may have the chance to attend the 2013 Bahrain GP with pretty good accommodations and paddock club passes. Is it worth the effort of travelling out there from the US for that race or is the track and event not worth the effort? Guessing I'd have to start planning soon but the tickets are available if I ask. Yes I know it is such a terrible position to be in but lucked into the chance because of Dad's new job.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3161755)   #2
TrueBlueFlyer
Veteran

Ukraine
New Jersey
TrueBlueFlyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was thinking of going myself, as good a race as any I'd imagine.

though the stories I heard about this year's unrest were a bit interesting... lots of police enforce for the event.
Old 3 Nov 2012, 06:26 (Ref:3161775)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't been to the GP since 2008, however I was there for the WEC 6hrs end of September this year, so I can pass on my recent experience.

Accommodation depends really on where you are staying. I believe the new Sakhir Hotel is very good and is indeed near the circuit, but it is also very expensive. If you are booked into the Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental or Sheraton you will have a 15 minute drive to the circuit (depending on traffic). But you will also enjoy lower cost accommodation. Taxi fare is around 10BHD (£18) each way.

Now to the troubles. If things don't change you will see lots of security all along the route, even small tanks/armoured cars. You are unlikely to see any unrest, (the "unrest" filmed last year was one incident replayed from different angles) although when I was there last, there were reports of a firebomb attack on a police vehicle. Friday has traditionally been "punch up" day for over twenty years so there really is no change there.

If you have VIP access try to get into the Batelco Grandstand. You get to see the cars taking the turn onto the back straight, also you see them coming through the infield section. The first turn Grandstand also gives you a good view of the first turn and up the hill where some of the overtaking can be done.

The first picture was taken in 2008 from the University Stand No 2 looking back to the First Turn. The First Turn Grandstand is in the background.

The others were taken in September this year from the Batelco Grandstand.

As a VIP you will no doubt receive hospitality and indeed this is the only way you can get a beer because none of the public outlets sell alcohol. However if you are not receiving hospitality there are plenty of food and beverage outlets in the paddock and near the stands.

You won't want to stray from the shaded areas for too long, but other than that if nothing else it is a spectacle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0163_GP 1st corner_03.jpg   IMG_4078.jpg   IMG_4041.jpg  

IMG_3865-1.jpg  
Old 3 Nov 2012, 21:28 (Ref:3162030)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Nice post Peter..

I think it's a *beautiful* place..
Old 5 Nov 2012, 03:19 (Ref:3162701)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I may have the chance to attend the 2013 Bahrain GP with pretty good accommodations and paddock club passes. Is it worth the effort of travelling out there from the US for that race or is the track and event not worth the effort? Guessing I'd have to start planning soon but the tickets are available if I ask. Yes I know it is such a terrible position to be in but lucked into the chance because of Dad's new job.
Surely a "once in a lifetime" chance is always worth going to, something to tell the grandkids etc etc. Maybe if you do it in 2013, then get the chance again in 2014 you won't go a second time, but at least you'll have been once
Old 5 Nov 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3162951)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I received a pm from the op but for some reason haven't been able to reply. However just to give bit more of an idea of the circuit:

the first is the pitlane exit, the second is looking from the main grandstand opposite the pits to the last corner and the third is the corner leading on to the straight that runs past the Batelco stand.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3756.jpg   IMG_3587.jpg   IMG_3817.jpg  

Old 5 Nov 2012, 17:23 (Ref:3162965)   #7
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Don't forget to pack a Canadian flag.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3163330)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
you'll notice i've removed some posts from this thread.

please stay on topic, political discussions can be had elsewhere but this is for tips regarding race attendance.
Old 6 Nov 2012, 20:53 (Ref:3163505)   #9
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks, was going to ask about closing the thread before it got off topic. But I have decided the chance is too good to pass up; to get to an F1 event is a great chance but to get the access with his tickets is just impossible to pass on. Would be better if it was Spa, Silverstone or Monza but beggars can't be choosey.