Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3164708)   #1
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whitmarsh "Hamilton Had Regrets"

I Notice on Autosport that Martin Whitmarsh thinks that Hamilton regrets his decision to sign for Merc.

Is anyone else getting a little tired of this "he's made a mistake" nonsense

To my mind it's the natural order of things for People to go out and explore the world.

I myself have worked for 3 different companies in my time and feel I am a much richer and more rounded person for it. Having seen how different companies work and different aspects to my function.

It doesn't matter whether Hamilton succeeds or not he will learn new ways of doing things and ultimately will become a better driver.

However having the opportunity to work with Ross Brawn may well prove to be a successful combination and I do wonder whether the atmosphere may be a little less oppressive than at Mclaren

What do you Guys Think?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 21:14 (Ref:3164714)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this is the latest "he's made a mistake" thread.

I am up for the move, not that it is anything to do with me, and. S good for both parties. Hamilton needs to experience other things, as you say. McLaren need a driver that has experienced more!

Do they regret it? Of course, especially at the moment with the large uncertainty. When you change things then there are always regrets, especially at first.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 22:09 (Ref:3164736)   #3
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely there is something in the McLaren working culture incompatible with the talent. In the last 10 years top people like Newey, Alonso, Raikkonen, Montoya and Hamilton have left the team, many of them completely annoyed.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3164757)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
Definitely there is something in the McLaren working culture incompatible with the talent. In the last 10 years top people like Newey, Alonso, Raikkonen, Montoya and Hamilton have left the team, many of them completely annoyed.
Uhn... Montoya ? Do you mean Juan Pablo ?
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:01 (Ref:3164758)   #5
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish Primer View Post
So far I am am aware, only one of those was "completely annoyed".
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:07 (Ref:3164762)   #6
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is rumoured that McLaren's first offer was a wage cut. I think they may be regretting that decision now.
Old 9 Nov 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3164772)   #7
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
It is rumoured that McLaren's first offer was a wage cut. I think they may be regretting that decision now.
Mercedes were just as slow a couples races ago as they are now. Nothings changed. So I don't see why Hammy would suddenly regret the move.

People go on about Mclaren have the top talent and yet only had one DC since 1999. But I don't think it's McLarens fault. Ferrari were too dominant with Ferrari in the early 2000s, but even then they only missed the title by 1 point with Kimi in 2003.

They should have won 2005 but had terrible reliability, 2007 they should have won but got unlucky with Kimi sneaking in and Hamilton dropping the ball, 2008 they won, then the last few years have just suffered a bit of unreliability and an inconsistent Hamilton.

It's just been a string of inconsistency, unreliability and just other teams being better that's prevented McLaren from winning many titles. Doesn't help that the last decade has had talents like Vettel, Schumacher and Alonso of which none of them drove for McLaren (except Alonso for that 1 year).

DC, JPM, Kovi... they're not legends like the guys above. Even Kimi's good, but no legend.

Hamilton now seems to be making far fewer mistakes and he's definitely at a stage in his career where he's the best man for the job to bring McLaren glory (unless they can sign FA or SV). Silly time for Lewis to leave a top 2 team imo, for both their sakes. I don't see either of them winning a drivers title for a few years now.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3164785)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I have no problem with Hamilton's move to Mercedes. It just makes F1 all the more interesting, IMO.

Would he have been better off moving to Red Bull, Ferrari, or even Lotus!? Sure he would. They have a much better winning pedigree than the Mercedes team have. I guess that he just wants a challenge, and we can't really argue with that.

Does he regret the decision, occasionally? Sure he does.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 00:55 (Ref:3164787)   #9
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I think this is the latest "he's made a mistake" thread.

I am up for the move, not that it is anything to do with me, and. S good for both parties. Hamilton needs to experience other things, as you say. McLaren need a driver that has experienced more!

Do they regret it? Of course, especially at the moment with the large uncertainty. When you change things then there are always regrets, especially at first.
I think you are right and the mods should save themselves some work and merge it with the Lewis to Mercedes thread!

Last edited by wnut; 10 Nov 2012 at 00:55. Reason: Sp
Old 10 Nov 2012, 00:57 (Ref:3164788)   #10
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
No respect!

Righto I am out of here!

I think you are right.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3164791)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
No respect!

Righto I am out of here!

I think you are right.
Well, I think that it may have been exactly what it was reported to have been. A rumour.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 01:55 (Ref:3164801)   #12
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Another load of codswallop....

I am looking for my rocket propelled grenade launcher thingy..

Last edited by JeremySmith; 10 Nov 2012 at 03:06.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 11:12 (Ref:3164845)   #13
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought the pre-race interview with the BBC was very candid.

When asked if he regretted it, he admitted there were moments when he thought about what a quick car he was leaving behind, but then went onto speak about the challenge. He said if we try but fail, we've tried out best and if we succeed, it's really good.

That says a lot.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:04 (Ref:3164857)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Uhn... Montoya ? Do you mean Juan Pablo ?
Not sure how many other Montoya's have been in F1
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:07 (Ref:3164859)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

When asked if he regretted it, he admitted there were moments when he thought about what a quick car he was leaving behind, but then went onto speak about the challenge. He said if we try but fail, we've tried out best and if we succeed, it's really good.

That says a lot.
I look at Lewis's career with McLaren and his future and maybe he's onto something. Fwiw, i see that if he stayed with McLaren, he'd get many more wins, poles and fastest laps, but i can't honestly see anymore WDC's for him with them.

So, by going to Merc, and doesn't win any WDC's i don't think his career would be ultimately any worse off.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3164866)   #16
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I didn't get that either.

Quote:
I look at Lewis's career with McLaren and his future and maybe he's onto something. Fwiw, i see that if he stayed with McLaren, he'd get many more wins, poles and fastest laps, but i can't honestly see anymore WDC's for him with them.

So, by going to Merc, and doesn't win any WDC's i don't think his career would be ultimately any worse off.
Possibly fewer wins so that is worse off in that sense, but I think he needs a change of scenery. And McLaren do not deliver as many world championships as they are patently capable of.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3164891)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well, if he meant THAT Montoya, and I know it's the only one, then he shouldn't be in that list of talented ones, pretty much simple.

Wake up little children.

Old 10 Nov 2012, 14:17 (Ref:3164892)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Well, if he meant THAT Montoya, and I know it's the only one, then he shouldn't be in that list of talented ones, pretty much simple.

Wake up little children.

Sorry mate, but thats total b******s !, Many people on here may not like him and i respect that, but to say he wasn't talented is tripe.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 14:21 (Ref:3164893)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
And McLaren do not deliver as many world championships as they are patently capable of.
Since Newey went to RBR, all other top teams had their capability to have WC reduced...

I'm still not used to see in other non-F1 environments a RBR car as a reference of the ultimate "top of the bill".
Old 10 Nov 2012, 14:34 (Ref:3164895)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Sorry mate, but thats total b******s !, Many people on here may not like him and i respect that, but to say he wasn't talented is tripe.
Mate,

It's not about liking. I like him.

If you compare him with the others on that list, what had he achieved ? So far ?
Well, he might be "talented" but not on the same level, and you can't take that away. If you had the task to employ someone based on his CV, which one would you pick from that list ? I'm pretty sure JPM is the last option, if so.
I'm sorry but that's the truth. F1-wise or not, I don't think he stands as one of the most talented... BTW what is he doing now ?
Old 10 Nov 2012, 14:36 (Ref:3164896)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Doesn't he belong to that list "What happened to..." ???
Old 10 Nov 2012, 15:05 (Ref:3164902)   #22
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Where's Knowlesy?

We could have a thread:

[Official] Bononi had regrets.
Old 10 Nov 2012, 15:10 (Ref:3164904)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Where's Knowlesy?

We could have a thread:

[Official] Bononi had regrets.
Search my posts and you'll see the size of my regrets...
Old 10 Nov 2012, 16:27 (Ref:3164915)   #24
The SpeCTator
Veteran

United Kingdom
South East - England
The SpeCTator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You are all forgetting Lewis wants to become a global brand, mind you so does Liam Doran
Old 10 Nov 2012, 20:49 (Ref:3164969)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I've never heard Lewis or anyone near him mention the global brand thing. Maybe his management company has.