Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 25 Jan 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3194239)   #1
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joss Ronchetti Sale of Bullet/Thor/Motorhome

Hi guys,
I thought you should give you an explanation of why my cars/motor home are for sale as I have been getting back some feedback on theories circulating. Including a particular amusing one from a very well known track rival of mine of 'He's been lifted you know' .....lol.... Well here is the rather less explosive/uninteresting facts of the matter.

I have always had racing in my veins and started on Motor bikes from 81-83 then into cars from 86-90. Then a big gap, returning to the sport in 02.
When I raced before in 86-90 my ambition was to be a Touring Car Driver, I raced in Production Saloons and drove/behaved in that way on track.

When I bought the Sunbeam in 2002 and returned to racing I had a very different ambition. I set out to see how quick we could really get a Sunbeam Lotus to lap. Having raced one in the Road Saloons in 86/87 I believed that it had never been developed to its full extent and could be a very special car if its full potential could be released.

My mindset was also different on my return to the sport, winning was not at all costs, I came back to have fun racing with no stress, still to drive on the limit door to door, but always in a gentlemanly way, and 'avoiding body contact at all costs instead' attitude.

In the last 10 seasons with Phil and Mike Seaman and the PRO-Driver Team we have achieved way beyond what I set out to do, and what most sane people thought was impossible in a Sunbeam Lotus, both in lap times, results, and reliability (For a Lotus Motor!!).

After the elation of winning from the back row at a Snetterton BTCC round in the Heritage GTC , winning from the back row at Thruxton at the Truck Grand Prix and winning at Spa (lapping quicker than the GT40's in the Six Hour Race :0) ), it's hard to find something to top it. I also feel the task that I set out to do has now been completed.

I bought the Monaro, as I have always wanted one, to see If I could get the enthusiasm back. But to be honest it just simply not as much fun, and never will be compared to the Bullet.

These last 10 seasons have been the best racing I have ever had, I have made so many great friends and had so many great races, door to door, at times exchanging places many times a lap. A big Big thank you to all those great drivers I have competed against who all drove in a gentlemanly way (or at least left me enough space to back out the move and avoid impact ) In fact at one time I had completed over 100 races and been on the podium in 80 of them, without as much as a scratch on the car.

Other factors are family time, I have been doing 15 to 20 weekends every season, my wife Suzy & daughter Jett have loved the racing and have always supported me, but I feel it's time now to do different things at weekends with the family. I also need to concentrate on work at PRO-Driver, as we are starting a rapid growth program. My accountants also strongly suggest I spend some more time and money on things like pensions and expansion rather my racing.

So its a goodbye from me being at a circuit somewhere most weekends in the racing season for the immediate future, but It's certainly not for ever, I will still be popping up here and there, doing the odd shared drives, event days with PRO-Driver clients and trackdays. If I don't get the right offer for The Bullet then I will no doubt be making the odd appearance back in her too, she was built to race, not to sit in a garage

Cheers Joss
Old 25 Jan 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3194292)   #2
dave vass
Racer

England
Kidderminster
dave vass should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joss. Thank you for the entertainment that you have given us over the years. There aren't so many 'exciting' racing cars around these days; but 'The Bullet' with you behind the wheel was something very special and you will both be sorely missed. I hope you will find a good home for the car, and wish you good times with your family ventures!
Old 25 Jan 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3194300)   #3
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Joss

Thanks for the huge entertainment over the last few years, il always remember marshalling at plum pudding a few years ago and watching you hang the ar$e out every lap!

Wish you all the best in the future, and you never know there may be a 3rd chapter of racing in the future!
Old 25 Jan 2013, 19:32 (Ref:3194314)   #4
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Sorry to see you disappear from the scene Joss but things change.
I pulled out of car racing in 1973 and didn't go back full time until the late 80s but did Motocross and a few car sprints to keep my hand in, as you are about half my age you still have plenty of time
Thanks for letting me loose in the Bullet by the way and if I win the "El Gordo" in Spain I'll buy it
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 25 Jan 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3194327)   #5
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Joss,

What can one say?

It's good to hear an explanation for your decision. Sad to see you go (for now?) but very understandable.

Thanks for sharing with the public at large and making the expensive passtime that is motorsport a little more realistic in terms of life as we know it.

More importantly, (at least to this forum I suspect) thanks for the entertainment and some cracking videos.

Have a fun break and don't be a total stranger to your (local) circuits.
Old 25 Jan 2013, 20:24 (Ref:3194328)   #6
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
:-( sad news pal
Old 25 Jan 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3194356)   #7
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry to see you go Joss. I always loved seeing The Bullet, a car which will surely go down in British Club Racing folklore. I respect your decision to put family first, it's a very nice thing to do. (Personally not sure I'd ever be able to!)

Thanks for the memories, and hopefully the ones to come also!

EDIT: You are mentioned in my Daily Motorsport Round-Up on my Facebook page [edit]No links to other sites, please[/edit]

Last edited by Woolley; 27 Jan 2013 at 12:29.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 26 Jan 2013, 09:43 (Ref:3194437)   #8
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have seen you in action on several occasions mainly at Brands Hatch and I have always admired the stunning spectacle of 'the Bullet' on track.
Thanks for the entertainment, great project vehicle - totally professional on and off the circuit. Always had reservations about the Monara.
I sincerely hope you don't get the asking price for the black and orange beast! I for one would love to see you back out sometime giving large!
Old 26 Jan 2013, 10:29 (Ref:3194444)   #9
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid

Everyone has said it all.

BRAVO. WELL DONE ALWAYS.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 11:59 (Ref:3194457)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great story of an legendary car and driver Joss. Like others have said, it's possible to dip in and out of motor racing. You've done it before and I'm sure you'll do it again. For now though, you need to direct your priorities elsewhere and that's perfectly understandable.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3194513)   #11
blueoval2
Racer

England
blueoval2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not only great to watch on track Joss, but always willing to have a chat with everyone and only to keen to show people your car.
A very professional team please come back one day.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 18:23 (Ref:3194551)   #12
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noooooooooooo

Joss,

Thanks for all the great racing and entertainment.

Dave

Last edited by deley; 26 Jan 2013 at 18:29.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 19:01 (Ref:3194555)   #13
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DO NOT DO IT !!!
what am I going to do ???????

Take a year out.
You will be busting to be back in them once the sun comes out
Old 26 Jan 2013, 21:16 (Ref:3194598)   #14
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You will be missed.

One of my first memorys from racing, is you casually resting your arm on the door frame while wrestling the Lotus through Paddock at Lydden.
The car was black & silver back then.

Always wanted to own one myself, but alas I didn't. I still look out for then now.
Old 26 Jan 2013, 22:46 (Ref:3194639)   #15
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
joss......... you cant stop mate , just do less or come play in the megane ,he he
Old 26 Jan 2013, 22:48 (Ref:3194640)   #16
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear that Joss. It was the idea of chasing you that had us going all big horsepower for Thunder. Just now worked it out and you've gone.. :-(
Old 27 Jan 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3194798)   #17
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Joss enjoyed meeting you on a couple of occasions and the Lotus Sunbeam has always been a favourite of mine, so the Bullet was always great fun to watch. Good luck and hope to see you back sometime.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 10:21 (Ref:3194817)   #18
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to hear you're stopping, although I'm a fairly regular attendee at race circuits, I had only seen the Bullet in magazines till the 2011 season. I immediately realised what all the hype was about. Good luck with the future.
Old 27 Jan 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3194972)   #19
AndyMil
Racer

England
On a hill in Yorkshire!
AndyMil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Ronchetti, you owe me a visit to Harewood now you're not going to be doing the roundy roundy stuff, Will miss you and Bullet, but I'm sure we'll bump into each other one weekend somewhere. Enjoy the time, and don't work to hard!!
Old 28 Jan 2013, 22:32 (Ref:3195471)   #20
John Wilson
Rookie

John Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joss

Thanks for all the close races we had. Its not everyone who can race as close as we did then get out and enjoy sharing a beer together.I am sure you will not be able to stay away forever!!! so come and say hello next time you are at the circuit.

Cheers

John
Old 1 Feb 2013, 19:18 (Ref:3197588)   #21
joss Ronchetti
Racer

United Kingdom
Great Glen, Leicester
joss Ronchetti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks everyone for your kind words, will catch up with you all somewhere in the near future I hope:0)
Old 2 Feb 2013, 19:19 (Ref:3198268)   #22
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wont be the same without you there every weekened !
Old 14 Feb 2013, 19:03 (Ref:3204777)   #23
ALFAADIE
Rookie

ALFAADIE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joss dont go I was looking forward to racing the bullet
I was gutted when you got the V8
we are a bit like you we race the Alfa 33 because we love them
and its hard work but worth it
2WD rules

Dont go

Plus I may need your O2 dongle again

Cheers Adie
Old 17 Feb 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3206174)   #24
BILTEL
Racer

England
Brackley, centre of the Earth
BILTEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll be missed. At least I got a ride in The Bullet.
ex Starion #20
Now building BMW 535i
for the 360, CTCRC Pre 93's
Old 9 Apr 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3231748)   #25
Chris Eyre
Rookie

Chris Eyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Late to the thread but no less appreciative.

I came across the Bullet in an Autosport or Autocar feature a few years ago, it caught my attention, and I saw the car run in DMN a few times, at the sharp end of the field.

But it was the videos that really brought home what was going on. What a sound track! From the back of the grid at Thruxton, to bothering Sierra Touring Cars at Brands and of course the drive back over the TT mountain on the 2011 Manx Classic! I hope these video links are ok to post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBzsibNXbb4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMAguc9KhQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...BXxEPkU#t=313s

Normally aspirated metal of the highest order, pedalled very finely.

Thank you