Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3204757)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
F1 goes to pay TV in Italy and France

Italians will only see half of the races live on RAI. The rest will go on Sky F1.

French will have to but Canal+ to watch F1, or else. TF1 isn't broadcasting any F1 at all.

In Hispanic America, F1 has been on pay television since 2000. Some contruies have delayed highlights, like Uruguay (90min, same day).
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3204820)   #2
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Italians will only see half of the races live on RAI. The rest will go on Sky F1.

French will have to but Canal+ to watch F1, or else. TF1 isn't broadcasting any F1 at all.

In Hispanic America, F1 has been on pay television since 2000. Some contruies have delayed highlights, like Uruguay (90min, same day).
It looks like Bernie wants less people to see F1 no wonder sponsors are hard to find with limited viewership in F1's major markets.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3204826)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Been on pay TV here for nigh on 20 years.
But as the races start at midnight our time theres not much hope of a large audience on any service free or pay.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:09 (Ref:3204829)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's the same here in the US, we have been paying ever since I can remember to watch F1, it's now your turn folks...
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3204845)   #5
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It's the same here in the US, we have been paying ever since I can remember to watch F1, it's now your turn folks...
I am not surprised that F1 is almost unknown in the USA when access to it is so limited.

Bernie wants his bread and jam now, he does not appear to be interested in cake in a few years time.

On second thoughts it will not be his problem in a few years.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3204849)   #6
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
F1 is known here by the fans that are interested and want to watch..Most people have cable in their homes Speed TV is standard cable fare..
Old 15 Feb 2013, 02:10 (Ref:3205034)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turning your back on your most dedicated fanbase.

Bernie.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 11:48 (Ref:3205264)   #8
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie is not helping his business this way...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 12:01 (Ref:3205267)   #9
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose when you are Bernie's age long term planning doesn't really have the same appeal as it might once have had. I have the same feeling myself sometimes.

However, as a business strategy this is marketing madness in my opinion. The only way for F1 to survive with it's massive fees for hosting races and enormous budgets for teams is to generate and keep a huge world-wide interest and viewership from fans watching on free to air TV.

I know people say that Football hasn't suffered, Sky have 90% of the PL and so on but it simply isn't the same. There aren't 10 grands prix per weekend and stand alone junior formulae races that gather large spectator attendance.

This fits the mould of Bernie's perverse anti-youtube anti-Internet philosophy that keeping footage scarce increases interest.

It doesn't. There lies the road to ruin.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3205326)   #10
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Do the folks in France & Italy get their TV via antenna/AKA "free TV" or do they have cable subscriptions? If they have cable like most of the folks in the US & elsewhere then they are already paying once for F1.

If a second tier of channels is required to be purchased just to get F1 then they are paying extra for F1, something most folks in the US never had to do because SPEED was/is included in most basic cable packages.

When "Bernard the Greedy" decides that NBC Sportsnet must pay more for F1 which forces US cable providers to charge EXTRA for that channel you will have parity with what is going on in France & Italy.

Screw 'em, watch football!
Old 15 Feb 2013, 14:27 (Ref:3205335)   #11
mjkh
Rookie

mjkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 has been on pay TV for a while now here in Finland. Free race highlights are shown also.
I don't mind paying for the service. All the F1 gp2/3 free practise, quali and race sessions are shown live with commentary.

Though I think it would be good for the sport if F1 races were free to air.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3205344)   #12
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Been on pay TV here for nigh on 20 years.
But as the races start at midnight our time theres not much hope of a large audience on any service free or pay.
If races start at midnight, shouldn't it be easier for free television networks to show F1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
This fits the mould of Bernie's perverse anti-youtube anti-Internet philosophy that keeping footage scarce increases interest.

It doesn't. There lies the road to ruin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
Do the folks in France & Italy get their TV via antenna/AKA "free TV" or do they have cable subscriptions? If they have cable like most of the folks in the US & elsewhere then they are already paying once for F1.

If a second tier of channels is required to be purchased just to get F1 then they are paying extra for F1, something most folks in the US never had to do because SPEED was/is included in most basic cable packages.
That difference is very important. In Hispanic America, F1 races and qualifying are on Fox Sports 1, which has high ratings (they have all Copa Libertadores and some English Premier League).

Quote:
F1 is known here by the fans that are interested and want to watch..Most people have cable in their homes Speed TV is standard cable fare..
It's strange, but people stick to their favourite channels and ignore the rest. Like, Space shows some NBA games here, but I never tune it because that's a movies channel, which I always skip. If there was a couple of good shows on Discovery, I wouldn't notice because I ignore it for having lots of crap (less than History and Nat Geo, sure).
Old 15 Feb 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3205347)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
canal+ before the whole digital thing meant you had to have a box and a decoder and a subscription. we were too tight for all of those. i'm not sure what it means nowadays though, nor how french digi telly is delivered.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 15:40 (Ref:3205359)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritle View Post
sure but basic cable services dont usually include the HD channel tier. that generally has always been extra and then the HD sports tier is usually a bundle on top of that so for anyone here who wants to watch sports in HD we have always been paying extra for it.

on another note, i dont really understand the FTA model at all. from what i gather you pay for and set up the equipment yourself and then your programing is free and you get watch races without commercials breaks in them...obviously that sounds great but how could that possibly be sustainable? what incentive is there for innovation?

really if it is a cost thing then why not demand free over the internet? surely that would be cheaper for you, offer you more ways to consume it, and for the price of a $10 HDMI cable you can hook it up to your TV or heck save the 10 beans and stream it to your tv.

tbh, there is an element to this whole conversation i just dont get.

Last edited by chillibowl; 15 Feb 2013 at 15:46.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3205366)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
BE is paying the teams 63% (up from 47%) of all television income from now on, so no surprises here, really.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 16:30 (Ref:3205381)   #16
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Funny that they would arrive at a figure like 63% rather than round it out at 65%...

I not sure how I feel about the subject of F1 being shown on a pay only system to be honest...

I can remember many years ago being in Italy and being at someones home who had Bernie Vision, I thought that idea was tremendous, if one could afford it that is..

It seems to me that a good comprimise has been made between the BBC and Sky, as far as the UK is concerned...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 16:47 (Ref:3205388)   #17
W.A Trichlorostyrene
Veteran

W.A Trichlorostyrene should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canal+ is a bit like Sky in England. A selected few "premium" channels at a fairly expensie price.

It owns the rights of quite a few important sporting events right now, including about half Champions League gamess, plus most of the domestic soccer championship(Ligue 1), etc. So chances are that at least most of the dedicated soccer fans have it already.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 17:40 (Ref:3205425)   #18
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
on another note, i dont really understand the FTA model at all. from what i gather you pay for and set up the equipment yourself and then your programing is free and you get watch races without commercials breaks in them...obviously that sounds great but how could that possibly be sustainable? what incentive is there for innovation?

really if it is a cost thing then why not demand free over the internet? surely that would be cheaper for you, offer you more ways to consume it, and for the price of a $10 HDMI cable you can hook it up to your TV or heck save the 10 beans and stream it to your tv.

tbh, there is an element to this whole conversation i just dont get.
It's easy not to understand the model because the Brits on the forum like me are fond of calling our TV "free to air" when in fact that's a misnomer as everybody in the UK HAS to pay an annual TV Licence fee by law. That funds the BBC and they then buy or produce the programes and show them "free" without commercial breaks.

The other commercial channels that are free to air make their money from advertising revenue.

Sky of course, gets it's revenue from both subscriptions and ad revenue.

I agree about the net, that is where all the interesting development is. I haven't got a laptop so I stream from my Mac to a Rasberry Pi plugged into my TV.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3205427)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The sport could be cut down to size. It's far too popular. Maybe Bernie is doing the right thing for wicked reasons.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 18:12 (Ref:3205438)   #20
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
In my area in Spain NITRO have always shown all the races and hopefully will continue, it is not in HD and as long as you can put up with 6 minute advert breaks it's free !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Feb 2013, 18:17 (Ref:3205442)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
[QUOTE=Spritle;3205326]Do the folks in France & Italy get their TV via antenna/AKA "free TV" or do they have cable subscriptions? If they have cable like most of the folks in the US & elsewhere then they are already paying once for F1.

No. TF1 in France has always showed GP on free channel. Ok, it starts transmitting when the race is about to start and finishes as the flag falls. Thats why Im moving to France, drastic measure...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 18:45 (Ref:3205457)   #22
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The sport could be cut down to size. It's far too popular. Maybe Bernie is doing the right thing for wicked reasons.
I dont think you can go backwards as such, what you can do is make sure it stays healthy over the long term...
Old 15 Feb 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3205458)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
In the Netherlands F1 will be also on pay TV from this season.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 19:38 (Ref:3205479)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Well there is a colleration between the popularity (or at least TV viewing figures) and how good the sport is. Everyone says it isn't as good as it used to be and there is more coverage and viewership than ever. There we go, it is the armchair fans fault.
Old 15 Feb 2013, 20:34 (Ref:3205510)   #25
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If races start at midnight, shouldn't it be easier for free television networks to show F1?
Its midnight Monday morning here,some people have to get up and go to work in the morning.
Pay TV has outbid Free TV for most motorsport here.