Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Apr 2013, 15:38 (Ref:3227619)   #1
TeamMBM
Rookie

TeamMBM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to tell how good I am in Cars?

I have done club level karting, and was fast, now I want to move to national car racing as because it is so expensive for motor sport I might as well give my self the best chance to get sponsors and to make a career. I'm 16, I want to se if I will be fast in cars without spending lots of money. I am too young for most race car experiences at tracks, so what can I do?
Thanks
Old 1 Apr 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3227758)   #2
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing.

You either drive some cars (test days, one-off weekends) and the going rate, or you stay in karts and never know how fast you might be in cars.

There isn't really an alternative I'm afraid.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3227766)   #3
MarkG
Veteran

MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!MarkG has a real shot at the podium!
I feel there's a bit of "head-in-the-clouds" with this one.
Old 1 Apr 2013, 22:10 (Ref:3227773)   #4
TeamMBM
Rookie

TeamMBM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you mean
Old 1 Apr 2013, 23:23 (Ref:3227801)   #5
Secret squirrel
Rookie

Secret squirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this a serious thread? Im sure ive seen 3 different threads with the same question.....the only way you will ever know is to raise the cash to have a go in a race car.....unless you have a go in a car you will never know and nobody on here will be able to tell you.....mystic meg doesnt come on ten tenths lol!!! What level of club karting were you "fast" in?
Old 2 Apr 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3227881)   #6
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure i'd be mega fast in Formula 1 i just need the cash before i try. Ive done very well in National and International racing in karts. Being ranked 3rd in both in my series.

Oh and looking at his other post's i knew he would be a 'head in the clouds, i love Lewis Hamilton' type of fan.
Old 2 Apr 2013, 21:51 (Ref:3228250)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
If you are as good as you think you are ask your parents to remortgage their house and also take out a loan, if they won't why should anyone else ?
Welcome to the real world !!!!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2013, 09:57 (Ref:3228452)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
If you are as good as you think you are ask your parents to remortgage their house and also take out a loan, if they won't why should anyone else ?
Welcome to the real world !!!!!!
It does happen - a couple of my young friends' parents have done that. It has one shaking one's head in amazement........particularly given the dead-end series they run in.
Old 3 Apr 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3228504)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its how Rob Huff got started after he got out of the MGB.Unfortunately,if mummie and daddy are not prepared to go to that extent,then its a world of hardship!
Old 3 Apr 2013, 18:03 (Ref:3228687)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I know somebody that also did that just to go club racing, he lost his house and his wife !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2013, 21:05 (Ref:3228771)   #11
RF_Racer
Veteran

RF_Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People who risk it all for a season are just stupid! More so in the current climate.. also single seater route is fully messed up, not clear cut of how it once was! BF3 is in shambles.. they should never have allowed aero development of these cars, just pushed costs up a huge amount.
Old 4 Apr 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3228945)   #12
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But as a serious answer to a new young forum member as opposed to cynicism from us old duffers...

....there is no way to prove to yourself how fast you are without spending money. I PM-ed the OP and suggested one driving school, but there are thousands of youngsters all with a reasonable turn of speed in karting who may or may not have what it takes to be a star.

S/He just has to get themselves into a car and no-one in this world is going to supply that for free. Track time costs money, even if you blag a free go in a car you'll have to pay the petrol at least I expect.

And in answer to a similar thread on another section of this site, being quick in a kart is no guarantee of being quick in a car. I've sat alongside a few ex-karters who were quick in their Rotaxes but didn't possess the finesse to translate that into good lap times in a car. A bit of tuition certainly helps, but that requires a certain amount of humility from the young superstar which at times was sadly lacking. They were "fast" but not "quick".