Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 18 May 2013, 14:24 (Ref:3249409)   #1
mythoughtsareracing
Racer

United States
Houston Area
mythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmythoughtsareracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Danica Patrick exhibit at the NASCAR Hall of Fame

I wish I was kidding.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...hibit/2183947/
"The Charlotte shrine to stock car history added a display saluting her as the first woman in the 65-year history of NASCAR's premier series to qualify first for a Sprint Cup race."
I'll acknowledge it's a milestone in the history of NASCAR, but it's not like Princess Sparkle Pony is the first woman to drive a stock car, nor the first to have success.
Sure, she's the first to win a pole (not going so far as to say she EARNED it), but is it really worthy of an exhibit in the HoF?
Old 18 May 2013, 14:32 (Ref:3249411)   #2
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the Hall of Fame already had a Danica exhibit?

Old 18 May 2013, 14:44 (Ref:3249417)   #3
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Patrick is one of my favorites, but thats funny.

Love her or hate her, I can't remember anyone making this kind of impact
in the sport. For a 100#s, she gets up on the wheel and can most of the time
keep it straight. She's still in the middle of the learning curve.

Last edited by canamman; 18 May 2013 at 14:52.
Old 18 May 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3249499)   #4
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How exactly has she made an impact on the sport? I see it more as the media, her fans and NASCAR insisting that she has made some sort of impact.

I mean, a pole on a RP track is so easy that so far this season, both John Wes Townley and Milka Duno have done it. May be in ARCA, but the point remains the same.
Old 18 May 2013, 20:03 (Ref:3249530)   #5
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Instag8or View Post
How exactly has she made an impact on the sport? I see it more as the media, her fans and NASCAR insisting that she has made some sort of impact.

I mean, a pole on a RP track is so easy that so far this season, both John Wes Townley and Milka Duno have done it. May be in ARCA, but the point remains the same.
I was with you until the last line. Sorry but pole in ARCA is hugely different than in a top class with the best cars. Now if they had made a women in stockcars exhibit with mostly Danica stuff I couldn't really object but it's not like she is the one and only woman racing anywhere.
Old 18 May 2013, 20:18 (Ref:3249540)   #6
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
The Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Original Instag8or should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I understand the Cup>>>>>>>>>ARCA statement, but since you may be unaware, to put it as nicely as possible, Milka is not the best talent even at the lowly ARCA level.

My point is/was that all pole on a plate track proves is that you have either the best equipment or the least restrictive plate.
Old 18 May 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3249548)   #7
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Impact - Media ,Marketing dream.
Race Results- Pretty good resume .

Is she going to rewrite the record book, of course not. She may own most of the female records before she is done.
Old 18 May 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3249579)   #8
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
she's made alot of impact, usually involving, taking others out of races.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3249601)   #9
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
The bothersome aspect is that the Hall of Fame seems now to want to make an "as it happens" display. I can see making an entry on a list of achievments or records, but there is no need for display, they have a rich heritage that they probably should honor first.
Old 18 May 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3249611)   #10
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
The bothersome aspect is that the Hall of Fame seems now to want to make an "as it happens" display. I can see making an entry on a list of achievments or records, but there is no need for display, they have a rich heritage that they probably should honor first.
Good point. It being a business that needs to generate some revenue,
they thought it might get a few more turnstile clicks with the race in town.
With out a race in town, museums and hall of fames can be quiet at times.
You forever have to keep some displays rotating somewhat to keep it fresh.
Old 19 May 2013, 00:26 (Ref:3249634)   #11
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Too bad no one will see it.
Old 19 May 2013, 02:23 (Ref:3249655)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
BLAH!!!! It is degrading to history to dishonor it by trying to spiff it up with contemporary marketing #@*#. Does Danica now have more space then Bobby and Donny Allison, Buddy Baker, etc.? At a Nascar Hall of Fame?
Old 19 May 2013, 02:25 (Ref:3249656)   #13
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
BLAH!!!! It is degrading to history to dishonor it by trying to spiff it up with contemporary marketing #@*#. Does Danica now have more space then Bobby and Donny Allison, Buddy Baker, etc.? At a Nascar Hall of Fame?
Old 19 May 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3249748)   #14
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Dont know the size of the display skycafe. Have not seen it. Only commenting on the posts here. I think its a good bet the space
of the inductees will not be infringed upon.
Old 19 May 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3249795)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Patrick's outstanding quality is that she is a marketing cash-cow. The market thinks she looks good in a bikini and she's an American racing driver and this excites the market in a new way and that's why she is where she is today.

She's completely unsuited to NASCAR. If she got her head together she'd knock out a win or three in Indycar over a long career. That's her level if she disciplined herself and stayed on good terms with her crew. She might get lucky at 'dega but bar that she's destined to make up the numbers in NASCAR.
Old 19 May 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3249828)   #16
canamman
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
She's completely unsuited to NASCAR. If she got her head together she'd knock out a win or three in Indycar over a long career. That's her level if she disciplined herself and stayed on good terms with her crew. She might get lucky at 'dega but bar that she's destined to make up the numbers in NASCAR.
She already got a indycar win. I think it was Motegi. I would really like to see her win the Indy 500.

Check out this link. Add up her her earnings in 2012 in both
nwide and sprint and compare them to her indy earnings
in 2011.
http://racing-reference.info/driver/Danica_Patrick
Old 19 May 2013, 17:01 (Ref:3249901)   #17
MJ_N_09
Veteran

United States
MJ_N_09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wait, she has a K&N race under her resume? I never knew that. I have no problem with Danica being in Nascar and becoming the fan favorite at least behind Dale Jr. She is easy on the eyes too. However, her NNS crew chief pre this year, Eury Jr, said it best; she has to earn respect.
Old 20 May 2013, 01:48 (Ref:3250205)   #18
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
To paraphrase: "She brings attention to the sport"

Ahem, check out the IRL TV ratings and attendance figures for the year BEFORE she got to IRL to the last season she raced there seven years later. Declines in both.

Please explain "how" that happened, and how that was somehow "good" for the sport.

My opinion: She brings in an awful lot of looky loo types, casual newbies. That would be good, except... they hear all this media hype and come in with high expectations, yet see nothing but a car struggling to crack the top 30, so they shrug their shoulders and move along to the next train wreck TV channel.
Old 20 May 2013, 03:11 (Ref:3250226)   #19
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh call the Waaaaaammmmmmmmmmbulance fellas.
This is not an easy sport. At least she brings interest and generates discussion.
I know - lets replace her with another boring clone whose biggest talent is daddies chequebook.
Old 20 May 2013, 03:25 (Ref:3250234)   #20
The Original Instag8or
Racer

United States
Veneta, Oregon, USA
^ Daddy's chequebook, GoDaddy's chequebook... difference?

In a sport that is obviously broadcast by and for those with shortened attention spans, NASCAR hardly needs the distraction of a mildly pretty bikini model. It was a good sport on its own, other than the aforementioned short attention span broadcasts.
Old 20 May 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3250371)   #21
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
^ Daddy's chequebook, GoDaddy's chequebook... difference?
Massive difference IMO

Ask anybody who has gone out and attracted any sort of true sponsorship.

I'm hoping that was a throwaway comment from yourself
Old 20 May 2013, 09:47 (Ref:3250405)   #22
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
she needs to go back to where she really belongs, in the kitchen making sandwiches, cleaning the house etc.
Old 20 May 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3250487)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
She was not good for Indycar. She created a small bubble of prosperity and a sense of complacency and for a sport in deep crisis that is not good. No sport should rely on one name for its success and certainly not a sport that is so profoundly weak as Indycar. This is Indycar's fault btw, not Danica's.

She decamped to NASCAR, left Indycar in its weakened state and has performed poorly in her new field. She's a good business proposition but her talents - and she has some talent - has been misdirected into NASCAR. She'll earn a good living as a bikini on wheels carnival act but as a sportswoman she'll waste away. It's 100% her prerogative of course but it's not something that merits my praise.
Old 24 May 2013, 07:58 (Ref:3252530)   #24
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
She came 8th in the Daytona 500 after starting from pole - wish Marcos Ambrose could do that
Just wait til you see her on the road course & where the hell is Danicafan???
Old 24 May 2013, 08:19 (Ref:3252539)   #25
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
She came 8th in the Daytona 500 after starting from pole - wish Marcos Ambrose could do that
Just wait til you see her on the road course & where the hell is Danicafan???
It was a processional race. Her achievement there is that she didn't crash.