Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Nov 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3332090)   #1
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kovalainen thumbs up!

Heikki's return is simply sublime! He was faster than Romain on low fuel and and on long runs in FP2 the whole time. Cant wait for the qualy nor the race!

He hasnt lost any of his skills and should really be given the Lotus drive next year instead of Maldo's $$. I rate him higher than Raikko these days.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3332100)   #2
Dragger
Racer

Dragger has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Heikki's return is simply sublime! He was faster than Romain on low fuel and and on long runs in FP2 the whole time. Cant wait for the qualy nor the race!

He hasnt lost any of his skills and should really be given the Lotus drive next year instead of Maldo's $$. I rate him higher than Raikko these days.
I am somewhat impressed by his pace. But at the same time it is just practice so I'm trying to not read too much into it. Looking fwd to qualifying and the race too.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 16 Nov 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3332104)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
It is impressive how he has hit the ground running. He needs to do that in a competitive environment and as he said so himself a small mistake and he could miss out on Q3.

Can you show your analysis on 'faster than Romain .. on long runs in FP2 the whole time"? sky showed a comparison of a run that had Romain marginally ahead. I'm not disputing that it wasn't a good start, but I'd like to know if that was just your perception, or whether you have the lap times.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 15:28 (Ref:3332152)   #4
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was both happy and surprised to see Heikki's result. Yes, it is practice, but it should be interesting to watch his qualifying session. I assume he is using Kimi's short wheel base car. All eyes will be on him...no pressure.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3332279)   #5
mjkh
Rookie

mjkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heikki and Romain are both using long wheelbase cars.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3332293)   #6
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heikki 8th on the grid, good performance by somebody who has had very few km in an F1 car this year and is in a strange environment from an F1 point of view.
I know he drove for Enstone in a different guise a few years ago but it is now a different team.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3332295)   #7
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the boy done good.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 21:08 (Ref:3332298)   #8
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great performance Heikki , brilliant interview !
Old 16 Nov 2013, 21:52 (Ref:3332319)   #9
cappra250
Rookie

cappra250 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe my point of view is too hard but I do not see why do yo rate so high his performance. He is 6 tenths from Grosjean. Grosjean last time in Abu Dhabi Q was 4 tenths from Kimi.
Kovalainen did FP1 in Abu Dhabi with similar pace than Pic who in the last times has been beaten by VDG.
In my opinion Valsecchi could do the same or even better. He was quite close to Grosjean when he tested in BCN this winter.
Old 16 Nov 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3332320)   #10
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since I don't see a race preview, I will post a qualifying comment here....

I was shocked to see the lightning pace coming from Bottas' car! Where did that come from?? Too bad he didn't end up higher on the grid. I have my fingers crossed for some points tomorrow!!
Old 17 Nov 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3332363)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Pete View Post
Since I don't see a race preview, I will post a qualifying comment here....

I was shocked to see the lightning pace coming from Bottas' car! Where did that come from?? Too bad he didn't end up higher on the grid. I have my fingers crossed for some points tomorrow!!
Williams reworked their exhaust system, to get rid of their interpretation of the Coanda effect on their rear diffusers... and it made the car less unpredictable.. its like night and day in comparison apparently!

Mr Kovalainen did well to get his car into Q3, into the top 10. Anyone expecting Mr Valsecchi to do the same at a track he has never seen, and a car he hasnt run extensively outside the simulator.. is likely to be way over optimistic...
Old 17 Nov 2013, 00:18 (Ref:3332366)   #12
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite so, GTR. A creditable job from Heikki. Kimi often lagged behind Romain since swapping to the long-wheelbase car too, so for all we know Heikki might himself have more pace in that chassis design.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 07:31 (Ref:3332461)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Kimi had the back issue as well. Since the tires changed he fell back too. Kinda like Force India.
Old 17 Nov 2013, 10:03 (Ref:3332489)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Since signing for Ferrari he fell back too......
Old 18 Nov 2013, 00:23 (Ref:3332807)   #15
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Kimi had the back issue as well. Since the tires changed he fell back too. Kinda like Force India.
Sure, but he was clearly back on form with the short-wheelbase car in Abu Dhabi, and professed himself much happier with it as well.

Did not really get to see what Heikki was made of in the race today. He seemed demonstrably quicker than Nico in the early phase but was bottled up by Rosberg's inability to clear Riccardo. Hard to know what would've happened after that, the nose change pretty much scuppered everything.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3333018)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Heikki was great! Just a little race rusty.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 12:10 (Ref:3333027)   #17
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Heikki was great! Just a little race rusty.
I don't quite agree. Was cautious at the start but then picked up something under his front wing so unfair to compare times based on time sheet only. At the end, I would say it is still a great come back. Hopefully he can deliver a super race in Brazil!
Old 18 Nov 2013, 20:56 (Ref:3333289)   #18
m355y
Racer

m355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridm355y should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He showed proper pace in qualifying, which immediately launches him above the likes of d'Ambrosio last year or Fisichella at Ferrari, because stand-in drivers tend to be really, really slow. Probably through little fault of their own. Who was the last one to do well, Kobayashi at Toyota? Salo at Ferrari? His race was less impressive, but he's done well at Interlagos in the past so maybe, just maybe.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 21:41 (Ref:3333304)   #19
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappra250 View Post
Maybe my point of view is too hard but I do not see why do yo rate so high his performance. He is 6 tenths from Grosjean. Grosjean last time in Abu Dhabi Q was 4 tenths from Kimi.
Kovalainen did FP1 in Abu Dhabi with similar pace than Pic who in the last times has been beaten by VDG.
In my opinion Valsecchi could do the same or even better. He was quite close to Grosjean when he tested in BCN this winter.
I agree, I'd certainly go with Valsecchi in Brazil.

Just how much worse could he possibly be?

Kovalainen was 88.8 secs behind RoGro at the end of the race!
Old 18 Nov 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3333353)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well in the same way I was cautious with piling on too much praise during practice I also think that this assessment it too far the other way.

Give him two races.
Old 18 Nov 2013, 23:11 (Ref:3333358)   #21
Dragger
Racer

Can't wait to see how he performs in Brazil.

Favorite Cars: Aston Martin Vantage, Ford GT40, Porsche Cayman, and anything not FWD ;)
Old 19 Nov 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3333412)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I agree, I'd certainly go with Valsecchi in Brazil.

Just how much worse could he possibly be?

Kovalainen was 88.8 secs behind RoGro at the end of the race!
He stopped twice to Grosjean's one. Had a front wing issue to Grosjean's none. Not much comparison can be made.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 06:55 (Ref:3333471)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
He stopped twice to Grosjean's one. Had a front wing issue to Grosjean's none. Not much comparison can be made.
Not to mention a KERs failure !
Old 19 Nov 2013, 10:09 (Ref:3333535)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think we saw anything at all to convince either way, TBH.
Old 19 Nov 2013, 12:59 (Ref:3333611)   #25
Dragger
Racer

Hopefully he'll do well in Brazil and get a race seat for next year.