Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:08 (Ref:3400056)   #1
colt513
Rookie

colt513 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LeMans Rookie / Ride from Paris / Advice

Hello everyone!

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Nick and I have been an avid reader of these forums for the last few years since I got into sportscar racing. My obsession with cars began when I was a kid and I got my first hot wheels from my uncle, however, my Le Mans obsession did not begin until 2008 when I saw Truth in 24.

This year, I'm excited to say I will be making my first trip to La Sarthe. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for a rookie attending the race. Where to stay / what tickets to buy / who to hang out with? I'm trying to stay on a reasonable budget.

I am going by myself, because I don't really know many people who like racing as much as I do and would love to meet new people along the way. I am doing research on my own (especially on this site which has been super helpful), but thought asking the questions specifically might get me more insight.

Lastly, I was wondering if anyone was driving down to Le Mans on Friday from paris. I would love to get a ride and meet up with some other people who love sportscars as much as I do. I would be happy to chip in for gas/tolls ect.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Colt.
Old 30 Apr 2014, 16:23 (Ref:3400059)   #2
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I will already be in Le Mans by friday as i suspect will most of the people on hear, my daughter is still hoping to travel down by train on Friday and might go via Paris but that is very uncertain.
For those on a budget and on foot you can get by on a GE ticket and a camping pass for beausjour, That is the cheapest way.
By the time you get there on friday the pit lane will be open and that is worth a visit then either go to the drivers parade or head to the village in the circuit for food ,drink and meet people
On Saturday you must come to the meet held in the village at 12.00 where you will meet all the usual suspect from this forum and perhaps sample some cheese and wine
Old 30 Apr 2014, 19:41 (Ref:3400126)   #3
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you're coming on Friday, grab a TGV from Paris. It'll drop you in centre-ville; the tram is right outside the station and gets you to Antares.
keke
Old 30 Apr 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3400142)   #4
colt513
Rookie

Thanks for the advice!

So I know I am super late (and that I will pay for it) but I have not booked anything yet in terms of accommodations. If I wanted to camp (it seems there is still a site left on the ACO webpage) do I need to bring a car with me?

-Colt
Old 30 Apr 2014, 21:12 (Ref:3400154)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
The tickets are per car, to be honest you could walk into some sites and camp if you do not have a car but that is being crafty. camping is the only option at this time unless you have plenty of money
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3400177)   #6
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Colt, post in this thread to see if KpKorsager still have room.
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139333
I have, and will be, staying with him and many others. I made the trip on my own in 2012, and found it to be no trouble at all. Met some lovely people in the camp, and meeting up with the Ten-Tenths guys and girls was simply the best! - You only feel alone at Le Mans, when you chose it yourself .
Old 30 Apr 2014, 22:34 (Ref:3400179)   #7
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by colt513 View Post
Thanks for the advice!

So I know I am super late (and that I will pay for it) but I have not booked anything yet in terms of accommodations. If I wanted to camp (it seems there is still a site left on the ACO webpage) do I need to bring a car with me?

-Colt
I suspect Baeusejour campsite, which if you're on foot and don't want to go camping au sauvage, will not insist on you having a car. If you were just doing the Saturday night I might be inclined to suggest you tried your luck around the boundaries of Parking Rouge or similar, but for the couple of days you probably want somewhere to leave the heavy aspects of camping (e.g. tent / bbq) so going down the ACO route and taking what they've got is probably a good idea.

HOWEVER - never underestimate what can fall into your hands - it's worth calling a few of the recognised agencies and seeing what they have - they may well have returns they're trying to shift so previously sold out locations can become available (at non-scalping rates) if you look around.

I've always bought from one supplier so can't comment on others and accordingly don't feel comfortable listing anyone but sure you can either find some pointers elsewhere on here or I'm sure some of those who shop around will contribute.

Either way - enjoy the trip.
Old 1 May 2014, 06:00 (Ref:3400220)   #8
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Speak to Nadine at the tourist office if anyone can help it will be her
BOUTTIER Nadine T/N 02 43 28 12 69‬
Old 1 May 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3400249)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For years we used to just pitch tents in the garage rouge. The marshals got very annoyed when after placing us carefully in the row, we nipped out and went down to the bottom of the field to pitch up. But they were far too busy to worry about it. I haven't wandered through there since I stopped going with the Tourists, but certainly in 2009 there were plenty of tents pitched there. Whether I would feel safe about pitching in what is really only a car park, I'm not sure....
Old 1 May 2014, 08:38 (Ref:3400257)   #10
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
If you pitch a tent in the car park it is very risky, no security and no facilities and your tent could get damaged by cars trying to park, the small cost of camping in say BJ is worth paying rather than risking it in an area where anyone can wander in and steal/damage your property
Old 1 May 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3400266)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree entirely.
Old 1 May 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3400357)   #12
colt513
Rookie

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm gonna call Nadine tonight after I get out of work, and if nothing is available I am gonna book a campsite with the ACO.

I'm actually changing plans so that I can get to the track on Wednesday and be there for more of race week.

I'm really excited to be making my first Le Mans trip and also to meet all of the forum members!
Old 1 May 2014, 13:30 (Ref:3400365)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
If you DO get stuck for accomodation, I shall be in a camper, with a large awning. You are welcome to doss down with us... Sleeping bag and rollmat should be more than enough. Oh, we'll be in Tertre Rouge campsite. The one overlooking the track...
Old 1 May 2014, 14:53 (Ref:3400382)   #14
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
TR is the camp site of choice for the discerning fan, but is quiet by le mans standards
Old 1 May 2014, 15:28 (Ref:3400400)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What, even with Tim there?
Old 1 May 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3400405)   #16
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well we will find out in six weeks time, if he is too noisy we will ban him in future
Old 1 May 2014, 17:10 (Ref:3400447)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
TR is the camp site of choice for the old gits, but is quiet by le mans standards
Edited for accurancy
Old 1 May 2014, 17:19 (Ref:3400451)   #18
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Very funny Mal so we expect to see you there next year then, with the rest of us old gits
Old 2 May 2014, 14:10 (Ref:3400774)   #19
colt513
Rookie

Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it.

And thanks for the offer Tim! I will PM you if all of my other options fall through.

Thanks!
=Colt
Old 3 May 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3401573)   #20
Elaviel
Racer

England
Kent
Elaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridElaviel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Edited for accurancy

Excuse me!!!!! Less of the old gits thank you!
Old 8 May 2014, 19:23 (Ref:3403874)   #21
colt513
Rookie

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have finally booked my tickets to France! My flight gets in on Thursday and then I will take the TGV to Le Mans that day. I will be camping with Kenn at MB.

I was looking on Beer Mountain website and saw that they had rides around the full track at certain times. How does one get those? Do you have to pay a huge amount of money and wait on a huge line for it?

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Old 8 May 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3403878)   #22
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
No chance of getting those at the main event there are a few Corporate hospitality cars going around the circuit but these are no available to normal people even if they pay
Anyway glad you got sorted and i hope to see you in June
Old 8 May 2014, 20:18 (Ref:3403895)   #23
whitemr2
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
whitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwhitemr2 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

I was looking on Beer Mountain website and saw that they had rides around the full track at certain times. How does one get those? Do you have to pay a huge amount of money and wait on a huge line for it?

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Last year it was available (at very high prices) during the LM week and even on raceday., I think the info on beermountain is last years info.
However it is possible but you than have to return to LM some day, check this http://www.lemansdriver.fr/autos/bap...o-le-mans.html
unfortunatly this is only in french.
Old 2 Jun 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3414354)   #24
colt513
Rookie

Camping tips

Hi everyone!

I am gearing up for this Le Mans and I have realized that not only have I never been to Le Mans before. But being the sheltered City boy that I am, I have never been camping either.

I was wondering what the temperatures on the track are like in the night time so I can get the appropriate sleeping bag.

Thanks!
Old 2 Jun 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3414361)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I am gearing up for this Le Mans and I have realized that not only have I never been to Le Mans before. But being the sheltered City boy that I am, I have never been camping either.

I was wondering what the temperatures on the track are like in the night time so I can get the appropriate sleeping bag.

Thanks!
Well best to get a reasonable one, i doubt it will be that cold but you do not have to actually sleep in it, best get one that unzips all the way down that way you can just use it as a blanket if it get to hot, Tent heats up pretty quick and even at it's coldest over the last 30 years i have always been as snug as a bug in the tent. But remember ear plugs, put them in and block out the campsite noise otherwise you will find yourself hearing everything that is going on in the campsite