Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 28 Sep 2001, 16:34 (Ref:152748)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Neck supports

Does anyone out there use neck supports in club racing? Are they comfortable? Do they reduce whiplash in accidents. What are the positives and negatives?

I am considering getting such a device for next season. Prices range from £20 to £50 (GBP) so they are not that expensive.

I would appreciate others opinions on the subject. This post was prompted by me collecting someone who spun in front of me at the weekend!
Old 28 Sep 2001, 20:54 (Ref:152922)   #2
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only ever used one once. This was because I broke my jaw 3 days before i raced at mallory. Didnt like it. It made it difficult to position or set your self up for the corner.
Old 29 Sep 2001, 23:52 (Ref:153490)   #3
Warwick
Racer

New Zealand
New Zealand
Warwick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to do offroad racing in that type of racing they were compulsory,no neck brace no race!
I now race karts and still use one,although there have been several attempts to make them compulsory these have all failed due to a lack of data and no conclusive proof that they reduce the risk on neck injury.
I found that I didn't even notice it after a couple of races this was proven when it fell off in one race and I didn't notice it was missing,it does restrict head movement slightly but i didn't find that a problem.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 01:52 (Ref:154067)   #4
plomax
Rookie

plomax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi
I think they should be compulsory in all circuit racing.
Having worn one for a couple of years now and having had two relatively serious accidents (Clio 172 rolled 5 times at Brands and Clio v6 into the concrete wall at Donny) I can vouch that they are well worth it, on both occasions I walked away with nothing more than dizziness! Even the day each I had no neck pain etc, however they will never stop your brain bashing around inside your skull.
Seriously, I have wondered if I'd have survived the Brands roll without it, even wearing the neck support I managed to split the roll cage padding with me head.
A further benefit is that you can grab forty winks in the assembly area without anyone noticing.
The one I use is quite a largish Sparco one, it is v comfortable, you don't know you've got it on, it gives you as much mobility as you need, after all how much do you want to move your head in the car anyways... I would also recommend a seat with head restraints.
cheers
Paul
Old 1 Oct 2001, 08:42 (Ref:154143)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by plomax

A further benefit is that you can grab forty winks in the assembly area without anyone noticing.
Sold it to me!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll probably try one as it is not that expensive and make my own mind up. My main concern was that if it was uncomfortable it would detract from the driving and actually be more dangerous. I suppose you have to decide that for yourself.

Thanks.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 09:26 (Ref:154151)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As a marshal I have noticed a distinct increase in the numbers of drivers wearing neck restraints this year. When you see some of the accidents that happen as Mr Lomax said, it must be a case of any discomfort outweighing the benefits. Saloon cars (Clios and Fisetas especially) have a nasty habit of rolling at Paddock Hill Bend, Brands Hatch. Something to do with hitting the gravel trap sideways of course!

Isn't there a second hand market you could try to see how you get on with it first, or ask to borrow one from another driver for a race and judge from that?

Actually, I might well have seen the Clio roll at Brands!!!

Stephen.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 09:45 (Ref:154159)   #7
Chris Y
Veteran

United Kingdom
Over there, over here
Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!Chris Y has a real shot at the championship!
Martin Bell (brother of Steve Bell, who was the Mini Miglia driver killed at Silverstone a few months ago) has been advocating the use of head restraint systems such as the HANS (head and neck safety) device.

A lot of CART drivers, all F1 drivers, and some NASCAR drivers use HANS - and many believe Dale Earnhardt would still be alive if he wore one. They basically allow the helmet to be tethered to some extra pads on the shoulders, and those pads are then held to the body by the seat harness.

There's more information here and a history of the device here

What do people think? They are relatively expensive (although I don't have any figures), and may be difficult to obtain. Also, they are generally associated with F1 and CART, so would people in saloon cars wear them?

I would.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 10:05 (Ref:154168)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I thought that F1 drivers were still evaluating them. Mika didn't have one when he climbed out on Sunday. However, I regularly see the CART drivers with them.

They do seem to be quite good. Looks quite expensive especially if a special helmet and harness are needed. I also haven't seen any commercially available yet. Still it could be a viable option if mass produced.

Thanks for the info.
Old 1 Oct 2001, 10:46 (Ref:154175)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I would have thought that given the high cost of motor racing in general, anything that can protect the driver should be high on the agenda of things to have.

I attended a serious accident at Brands a few years ago when a F Forward driver went straight into the tyre wall at Paddock at almost full race speed. The driver had lost conscionsness and was bleeding quite heavily from the nose as a result of his head being thrown forward at such speed. The driver was rushed to hospital where he was in a critical condition for many days. Thankfully he came out of it unscathed and made a visit to Brands to see all the guys who had helped in the rescue. I can't help but wonder whether, had he been using the HANS system, he would not have had as serious a time in hospital.

As to it's use in saloon cars, I really don't see a huge difference apart from the fact that many of the saloon car race seats do have the side impact parts to help in those cases. Seat belts still come over the shoulders as in single seaters and so HANS should help them also?

Stephen.
Old 3 Oct 2001, 15:45 (Ref:155354)   #10
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys,

I have been seriously considering extra protection for my head and neck recently.

Some figures I saw the other day stated that 90% of motorsport injuries were neck injuries.

The next seat I am buying is going to have the high side hoops to hold the head in place during side impact accidents.

I am also getting a very light new helmet for christmas (from my mum hehehe).

I am planning on buying a neck brace or whatever the current neck protection is.

All of this is due to the fact that I am about to embark on a campaign to race a car in a State Series where there is a lot of bump and thump action. This is the most dangerous part, as I have seen some serious accidents lately, and don't wish to be a casualty because of a lack of extra safety equipment.

If there is any other info people have I would love to see it,

thanks

Cameron
Old 3 Oct 2001, 17:52 (Ref:155413)   #11
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Cameron, what a wise move you are making. You can never do enough to ensure your safety in my opinion. Good luck with the racing, what series are you about to start?
Old 4 Oct 2001, 06:15 (Ref:155681)   #12
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well I have pretty much secured a drive in the Victorian Improved Production Series. I say pretty much because there are no certainties in motorsport.

Anyway I will be driving an RX7 in the series.

You can see some pics of it at http://au.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/autosportnews
Old 4 Oct 2001, 06:54 (Ref:155684)   #13
Slowcoach
Racer

Slowcoach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Adam , sorry but I'm a bit behind the pack getting on to this thread , I wear a neck support/brace, just a simple Simpson one, totally used to it and don't know its on, infact it feels weird when I don't have it on. I've had a couple of impacts, forwards and backwards into tyre walls and, touch wood, have never had any neck problems as a result, I feel that it is likely, inpart because I wear the support. Also as plomax says u can get quite comfy and grab a bit of shuteye when there are delays in the assembly area . I too think they should be made compulsory anything so simple that aids safety must be a good thing.
Old 9 Oct 2001, 11:14 (Ref:157956)   #14
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple question.
Why on earth would you not wear one?? Within a few laps, you'll never know it's there.
I saw Paul step out of that Clio unhurt and have worn one since.
Make sure it's the right size and while you are there check the weight of your helmet. It can make a hell of a difference to survivability if your helmet is a bit lighter.
Again after Pauls accident, I swapped my Simpson Shark in for the same type as Paul, a Stand 21 Airforce, when I discovered his helmet weighed about half as much as mine. The diffence in fatigue during a race and after a long test day is remarkable.
Check out www.stand21uk.com for more details.
Cheers
Rick
Old 9 Oct 2001, 13:04 (Ref:158015)   #15
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Rick,

Thanks for your post.

Many people forget that a helmet is one of the most important factors in racing. It doesn't have to be the most expensive. But it should be as light as possible (the catch is that, that is generally where the cost is involved).

I posted those figures earlier, because I was initially shocked when I heard them. Then I thought about it, and it made sense.

Good to hear from a guy in one of the higher levels of the sport,

thanks

Cameron
Old 15 Oct 2001, 11:38 (Ref:160827)   #16
Steve Hart
Rookie

Steve Hart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry for the late reply, haven't visited for a while.....
Until recently I've worn a Sparco support (ever since a whiplash injury from a backwards-into-the-tyres karting) and I strongly recommend them. I've also wondered why not more drivers use them - in my current car (Radical Clubsport) the more open cockpit means I've always felt a lot more vulnerable to side-whips than I did in my FFord.

However this season I bought a Bieffe F1GP helmet which comes down lower at the front - I found that I can't wear the Sparco anymore because it pushes my head back to the point where I can't see the track comfortably! So I did recent races without, and felt really naked!

I haven't solved this yet, maybe there's a more suitable model, or I'll just carve some of the foam off the support.

Steve
Old 6 Nov 2001, 15:43 (Ref:170904)   #17
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seat Belts are uncomfortable too!

I wouldn't get in a racecar without one and am even prepared to look at prat at Corporate days.

Neck injuries are debilitating and can seriously change you life.
Neck Braces should always be worn.

Not that I have a strong opinion on this!

IanC
Old 6 Nov 2001, 16:11 (Ref:170917)   #18
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
This may be something non of you have thought about, and to be quite honest it's only just occurred to me. If you are involved in a major accident and you are rendered unconscious while strapped in the car, the first thing to happen is your head slumps forward as you relax and the weight of your helmet comes into play.

If you are unfortunate to have your accident on say a track day when there are few marshals to come to your immediate aid, your wind pipe could close causing suffocation. The first thing any marshal will do is straddle the car (if its an open wheel racer) and hold the helmet up to keep your wind pipe open.

If you are wearing a neck brace, I would have thought the chances of your air supply being cut off are greatly reduced? I'm amazed at the number of drivers who don't wear neck braces quite frankly.

There you go, just another slant on the theme.

Stephen.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 08:04 (Ref:171277)   #19
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen,

Great point.

When I go to buy my new helmet this christmas I am ensuring that I definitely buy a suited neck restraint.

Your comment totally sealed the deal. I was thinking that I might get away with wearing the lightest helmet I can find, but there is nothing wrong with that extra protection.

And thanks to everyone else for their posts.

Cameron
Old 7 Nov 2001, 08:16 (Ref:171284)   #20
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
A pleasure Cameron. I'm glad we have been able to help in some small way. Good luck with your racing and hope to see you at Brands Hatch next year?

Stephen.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 08:24 (Ref:171288)   #21
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Ahh Stephen,

Brands Hatch is a little too far for me to travel.

I will be racing at Phillip Island (the Australian bike GP track), Winton, Calder Park, Sandown, and maybe Darwin or Queensland 500.

Brands Hatch is a little out of my budget. hehehehe

Nice thought though, you never know what happens next year if I drive well I might come for a look at a drive over there. hehehe

I can dream can't I.
Old 7 Nov 2001, 09:22 (Ref:171305)   #22
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Ahhh, slight cock up on the geography front there Cameron hahaha. Might be a bit too far to come for a weekend me thinks?
Old 17 Nov 2001, 12:50 (Ref:175823)   #23
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Stephen,

You never know a few guys have recently come out of oblivion here in Australia and ended up testing over in your land.

A couple of our F3 guys have pulled drives at Macau and Korea.

A great sign for us, unfortunately it generally ends there because our companies generally do not support young drivers who want to go to F1.

Look at Webber, could be in F1 but Australian companies won't back him.

Look at Briscoe the kid has it all in front of him and now he has hit the money wall as well.

Can we ever break the mould as a country?
Old 18 Nov 2001, 17:57 (Ref:176132)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Unfortuntely I don't think it's just in Australia, it's the same whichever country you come from unless you are American, they seem to get a lot more support than their European and Australian counterparties!
Old 20 Nov 2001, 01:52 (Ref:176651)   #25
nem
Rookie

nem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gentleman,

No matter the type of racecar or track, by far the major injury sustained by drivers is neck injuries, as stated by others here.

The 'horse collar' restraint provides minimal help and in a significant number of crashes actually comes loose and is not present for secondary or tiertiary impacts.

There are currently only 2 head and neck restraint systems available commercially. The HANS device and the Hutchens Device. I am unaware of any others in developement though I have researched the issue extensively.

Of the 2 the HANS is the more technologically advanced with the main part made of CFRP, and the most expensive. The closed car version costs $1250US and you send them your helmet to have it fitted. The open cockpit version is $2200US and send helmet. Testing has been done by GM and Mercedes. HANS is nowrequired in all CART races, next year it is required in F1. NASCAR requires either device, as does several other racing organizations begining in 2002. Web site: www.hansdevice.com.

The Hutchens device is much simpler, comes in 1 version only and costs $300US. It utilises straps around the upper chest, under the armpits, with a second set of straps round the waist. Connected to the portion of these straps at your back and running vertically are 2 additional adjustable straps up to the back of the helmet where they attach with clips to d-rings you can fit for that purpose. From the waist strap, again at the back is a single strap that goes under the butt and up in front to attach to the seatbelt latch system, thus locking it all in place. The helmet tethers have release lanyards attached at the d-rings that hang loose(or tucked under your shoulder harness) should you want to unlatch your helmet to ease getting out of the car. Minimal web site www.hutchensdevice.com.

It is incredible but the fact of the prevalence of neck injuries has been known for nearly 20 years. It was a review of crash injuries conducted by the Sports Car Club of America done over 12yrs ago that promted Hubbard/Downing to design/develope the HANS device begining over 10yrs ago. Hubbard being the engineer, Downing being the race driver.

The Hutchens device was designed by the Engineer(of that name)of the Richard Childress NASCAR team. It has been tested by Autoliv, a supplier of automotive products such as air bags.

If a racing driver cannot afford to buy the latest driver personal safety equipment technology availble then I submit, that driver cannot afford to race, period.

Personally, I have both the sedan version of the HANS and the Hutchens. Having tried both, I prefer the HANS as I think it affords me more protection in side impacts. I race a 3400lb stock car on a 3/8 mile paved/banked oval with corner speeds of about 70mph.

Five years ago I crashed head on into the wall at approximately 40mph. I was wearing a 'horse collar'. I sustained a severe concussion leaving me in a coma for 2 weeks, my recovery took the better part of 12 months, during which time I was unable to work and earn an income. Fortunately, I had a great insurance policy that prevented financial ruin for my family and that is also something any racing driver needs to have.

The cost of ANY of the available head and neck restraint devices, light weight helmets, etc is cheap insurance against the kinds of catastrophic injury possible in motor racing, at any time, and in any type of racing car.

Unfortunately the 'horse collar' is nearly useless, but it may be better than nothing at all.

Last edited by nem; 20 Nov 2001 at 01:57.