Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: The Best Racing Movie of All Time
Grand Prix (1966, starring James Garner) 41 50.62%
Le Mans (1971, starring Steve McQueen) 34 41.98%
Days of Thunder (HA HA HA HA HA HA) 4 4.94%
Other 2 2.47%
Drivel (Driven) 0 0%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Oct 2001, 14:45 (Ref:158560)   #1
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Best Racing Movie of All Time

It's time to settle it once and for all – What is the greatest racing movie ever made?
Old 10 Oct 2001, 15:21 (Ref:158578)   #2
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has to be Le Mans. The story's not up to much but the racing is superb.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 16:15 (Ref:158614)   #3
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
WANHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok Le Mans - Is it still on the market ?
Now why not trying to find other movie
- Green helmet
- The racers
- Mademoiselle Ange
Now on you
Old 10 Oct 2001, 17:24 (Ref:158646)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans - no question! (but then I am biased!)

Grand Prix is also pretty good though, I remember being taken to see it when I was about 10 years old.

There was some talk on another site a while back of Le Mans being re-released - I don't know if it has been yet?

I've got both Le Mans and Grand Prix on tape - taped them from the TV yonks ago. Both were on the good old Beeb - no adverts!!

Old 10 Oct 2001, 19:14 (Ref:158718)   #5
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by WANHER
Ok Le Mans - Is it still on the market ?
Now why not trying to find other movie
- Green helmet
- The racers
- Mademoiselle Ange
Now on you
The Green Helmet was on British TV recently.The Racers was called 'Such men are dangerous'when released in UK.I went to see it with my mum in 1955!
Never heard of 'Mademoiselle Ange' But there was a french film called 'A man & a woman' that had some racing scenes.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 19:19 (Ref:158720)   #6
zealot
Racer

zealot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't find anything on Mademoiselle Ange - does anybody know if this is a French, English or American film?
Old 10 Oct 2001, 20:23 (Ref:158756)   #7
fines
Racer

Germany
Bitburg, Germany
fines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about: "Days of Blunder"
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:05 (Ref:158795)   #8
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to be Le Mans. It did capture the atmosphere very well

Grand Prix was close but it did have a bit to much extra drama.

All the new films have too many crashes and explosions for my liking.

Simon
Old 10 Oct 2001, 21:50 (Ref:158836)   #9
FEV
Rookie

FEV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thread is about racing movies so I guess it does not exclude motorcycle movies ? My vote goes to Continental Circus staring Jack Findlay and Ago. Gong's original soundtrack + thrilling shots + no dum dramatic story just pure life size movie !!! My all-time favorite
Old 10 Oct 2001, 22:13 (Ref:158854)   #10
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Le Mans, but only on the grounds it had a better plot!

I too saw Grand Prix in the cinema - Odeon Leicester Square IIRC - in glorious Cinerama: even widescreen TV cannot possibly do justice to the full 70mm print - AWESOME!!
Old 10 Oct 2001, 22:54 (Ref:158879)   #11
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uh - "Red Line 7000"?

No, perhaps not. My vote has to be Le Mans, which tends to get played in the Dudley household as the last bit of TV before heading to the ferry port in June. Just to get into the swing of things, as it were.

I have to say, "Grand Prix" is excellent for all that lovely archive footage from the 1966 season, but I find the sub-plots quite toe-curling.

Thinking of racing footage, which of the early 1950s films is it which has specially shot footage of single-seat cars dicing, and suddenly splices in a moment of a sports Frazer Nash somersaulting at Silverstone? Years after I saw the movie, I learned that the 'Nash driver was actually Roy Salvadori, but I can't remember the film in which it was shown.

Now, I'm sure that most of us have "Le Mans" and "Grand Prix" in our video libraries, but am I the only sad bunny who's kept a tape of "Checkpoint" with Stanley Baker and James Robertson-Justice, and featuring the troubled DP115 Lagonda V12s?
Old 11 Oct 2001, 00:41 (Ref:158923)   #12
Kpy
Veteran

Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!Kpy has a real shot at the podium!
Has to be Le Mans - precious little plot, but all the better for that.

Yes Vitesse I saw Grand Prix in Cinerama all those years ago in glorious 70mm in naughty Soho.
Also was lucky to see some of the filming with P Hill driving a camera GT40.

Fines - Days of Blundell ?

Wanher - Who is Mlle Ange ?? I know it's not that Lelouche thing - Un Homme et Une Femme, but it sounds VERY interesting.

Tim - Well I remember Checkpoint very well, but no I'm not sad enough to have it on video. And Redline 7000 ?? Starred which cars ??
Old 11 Oct 2001, 07:40 (Ref:158956)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redline 7000

Quote:
Originally posted by Kpy
Has to be Le Mans - precious little plot, but all the better for that.

Yes Vitesse I saw Grand Prix in Cinerama all those years ago in glorious 70mm in naughty Soho.
Also was lucky to see some of the filming with P Hill driving a camera GT40.

Fines - Days of Blundell ?

Wanher - Who is Mlle Ange ?? I know it's not that Lelouche thing - Un Homme et Une Femme, but it sounds VERY interesting.

Tim - Well I remember Checkpoint very well, but no I'm not sad enough to have it on video. And Redline 7000 ?? Starred which cars ??
NASCAR in the 60s,also Fireball 500.If we can expand this to cover TV series,Dukes of Hazzard featured some NASCAR racing,and does anyone remember an episode of 'The Saint'which is set around the 1965 Race of Champions F1 at Brands hatch?
Old 11 Oct 2001, 08:07 (Ref:158962)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Driven?

I think that Le Mans is the best. 917s, Steve, the best race...

Grand Prix is good too. I liked Graham Hill's acting. Superb.

Last edited by Adam43; 11 Oct 2001 at 08:08.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 09:10 (Ref:158969)   #15
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
WANHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mademoiselle Ange was with R. Scneider yes miss Sissi
and P Vidal. The screenplay is absolutely not whorwhile
except 15 min of Monaco GP 1960. A belgian dirver also act
A de Changy.
If I remenber well, Our heroe drives a 250 F, the A testut car
In the same there was a movie with P Newman and his wife
Background Indianapolis 1968.
And also one with A. Pacino, he was a F1 racing driver for
Brabham bt 46 Alfa etc
Old 11 Oct 2001, 11:07 (Ref:158997)   #16
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redline 7000 has a variety of names and is pretty good - James Caan and girls who take their clothes as a penance for driving an MG 1100 - or am I thinking of something else !

Does Un Homme et Une Femme count - all that fabulous Ford France kit

Dare I mention Bobby Deerfield - only kidding.....
Old 11 Oct 2001, 12:17 (Ref:159035)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Continental Circus - never seen it - soundtrack by Gong though? That takes me back! Still got a copy of Camembert Electrique somewhere!!

Old 11 Oct 2001, 19:25 (Ref:159260)   #18
FEV
Rookie

FEV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CAMEMBERT ELECTRIQUE !!! YEAH !! I got it home too. Remember the look of the band in the inside double pic ? Great stuff. David Aellen still performs around Stonehedge every year (!) with Planet Gong (the band splitterd some 15 years ago and the Gong band now "belongs" to Didier Malherbe).
The Continental Circus soundtrack is great. I do not have the record but the video can be found in most public libraries of France.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 20:39 (Ref:159310)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've only seen Days of Thunder, lets just say I didn't vote.

I'd love to see Le Mans and Grand Prix, anyone know if they're on TV anytime soon? Terrestrial or Sky Digital.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 21:09 (Ref:159330)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Le Mans was shown sometime earlier this year, I think. I remember because I toyed with the idea of re-recording it (my copy is just getting a little tired around the edges, I've played it so often!!). I didn't though, perhaps because it was on ITV?

I haven't seen GP on TV recently - it must be due a another re-run - around Xmas, probably!!

Old 11 Oct 2001, 23:43 (Ref:159444)   #21
jonboyG
Racer

jonboyG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Through incredibly bad luck over the years, I've missed Le Mans and Grand Prix every time they've been on TV. It sucks to be me.

Apparently, both will be released on DVD soon, although when, no one knows.
Old 12 Oct 2001, 07:51 (Ref:159531)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Le Mans, no doubt about. A classic film. My favourite
Old 15 Oct 2001, 01:41 (Ref:160695)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I own both Grand Prix and Le Mans and have an order in to Amazon should they ever be released on DVD.

I voted for Grand Prix. Maybe its nostalgia, but its the bug that bit me. Le Mans is swell, but the sub plot is obscure. The racing in both is the cat's PJ's.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 12:06 (Ref:160841)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I went ot see Driven yesterday and I would just like to say that this is clearly not the best! Fortunatly we were the only people in the cinema and exces laughing was allowed!

Can't wait until Grand Prix and Le Mans come out on DVD. My tapes of these are worn out!
Old 15 Oct 2001, 12:10 (Ref:160846)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm finally getting a DVD for Christmas (long overdue), so I'm hoping my timing is right for a DVD release of both great films.