Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Who will Honda pick for 2002?
Jordan 18 51.43%
British American Racing 17 48.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17 Oct 2001, 20:37 (Ref:162226)   #1
Invincible
Racer

New Zealand-Maori
Warrington
Invincible should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda's Choice

Who do you think Honda will go for as a single works entry in F1?

Jordan or BAR
Old 17 Oct 2001, 21:02 (Ref:162240)   #2
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda will choose Jordan. BAR are pants.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 10:48 (Ref:162426)   #3
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the only real problem with BAR is their management. They need somebody with a real race background in charge there. The team is fine they just need more focus. I would hazard a guess and say that BAR is the better choice, as BAT will more than likely to want to sell rather than Jordan. If Eddie were to sell Jordan (his Baby), I would bet he would want a fair chunk of change for it. While BAT (with tobacco legislation coming in) will have a greater want to sell. And with BAR's rather large budget, I can only imagine that their facilities are a little better than Jordan's.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:10 (Ref:162431)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the works engines will go to Jordan, as they have just signed Sato and they have more chance of winnig races next season. BAR will have to pay for there engines
Old 18 Oct 2001, 11:56 (Ref:162458)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I chose Jordan for the simple fact that they are more likely to be more competitive next year, and were consistently better than BAR this year, it's just that unreliability once again cost the team points.

However, with all these VW rumour floating around at the moment, anything could happen. If VW enter F1 with Jordan, I expect Honda to buy into BAR, and eventually take it over so it can compete with Toyota.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 12:13 (Ref:162462)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BAR. Simply because it seems more easy to Honda to take control of the team, as the tobbacco ban will make BAT sell the team.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 12:39 (Ref:162465)   #7
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they'll go with BAR, because of what bononi just said. They know in a few years they will be able to take full command of the team.
Old 18 Oct 2001, 20:58 (Ref:162648)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think they'll buy out BAR in a few years. Eddie may be barking up the wrong tree in signing Sato. BAT won't want to be in F1 if they can't advertise their own products, and clearly the trend is for car manufacturers to buy teams. We've got Mercedes owning part of McLaren, and BMW of Williams, as well as works Toyota, Ferrari, jaguar and Renault teams. The Hodna V Toyota issue is a crucial one, Honda will not like it if the car in front is a Toyota (sorry). WIth Jordan being linked to VW, full Hond aownership of BAR looks feasible as by 2005 BAT, Villeneuve, Panis and Pollock will all be gone, elaving only Adrian Reynard of the original triumverate.
Old 20 Oct 2001, 01:51 (Ref:163147)   #9
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
BAR. Simply because it seems more easy to Honda to take control of the team, as the tobbacco ban will make BAT sell the team.
No argument with that,

BAR=Total Control
Old 20 Oct 2001, 07:23 (Ref:163182)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also think Honda wil buy BAR
Old 20 Oct 2001, 08:24 (Ref:163186)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Honda is really scratching their head... On one hand, BAR is easier to be acquired, and that BAR had one of the newest F1 facilities around the paddock for use. By acquiring BAR, Honda would nab themselves a good outer shell.

However, Jordan has a better technical team and good technical foundation which BAR strongly lacks. Honda's ambition is to take a works team to the top A.S.A.P, and Jordan provides greater probability. The bad thing is, Jordan may not e too eager to sell his full ownership to Honda, but more of seeking a tie up like Williams and BMW.
Old 20 Oct 2001, 09:25 (Ref:163193)   #12
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I voted for Jordan, but they are a better short-term choice. After all, the point of hiring Sato was to keep Honda on side. But if Honda are looking to take over a team and turn it into Honda, then BAR are the better choice because their management is less stable and if the tobacco ban eventually comes into play they will have very little financial backing. Which gives Honda the perfect opportunity to buy them out.
Old 23 Oct 2001, 23:55 (Ref:164673)   #13
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Honda's Choice

Quote:
Originally posted by Invincible
Who do you think Honda will go for as a single works entry in F1?
Jordan or BAR
The more I think about this one, the more it seems logical that Honda and E.J. will get together in the end. I have to believe that E.J. is thinking beyond just the engine deal at this point, and that Honda wants a factory team before very long to match Toyota's. Buying BAR would be a real can of worms. The team has never been successful despite massive budgets, and competent drivers. Better to build on the real successes that Jordan has achieved, but been unable to take to the next level. Some day, E.J. being a mortal must think of what will become of what he has created. It makes sense for the two to merge before Eddie is ready to step down.

Please forget to remind me of this when it doesn't happen.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 01:23 (Ref:164685)   #14
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the fly in the ointment for Honda is Eddie himself, and whether he would relinquish control? Or the departure of Craig Pollock, and perhaps JV too?

Can Honda realize its' marketing goals by being just an engine supplier? I believe so, if you are a champion. I think BMW, for instance, has gotten some tremendous exposure, and boost to their sales, with their association with Williams. This could really pay off for them in the next year or two.

BAR is certainly an attractive choice, and perhaps if the price is right, they could go in that direction, but they would have to do a lot of work to make it right....I can still recall DinoIV describing the design process of the '01 BAR.....scary stuff!

A big decision has to be made next year. The '02 chassis' for BAR and Jordan may decide it.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 04:33 (Ref:164705)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
It's a question of face

If Toyota does even half well next year, Honda will want to entr F1 with their own full team - it's a question of face. I cannot see Eddie giving up his team, so the only option for Honda is and to buy out BAR next year and start designing their own chassis for 2003.
Old 24 Oct 2001, 23:11 (Ref:165099)   #16
I Ate Yoko Ono
Racer

I Ate Yoko Ono should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could only ever be BAR. They are vulnerable for a takeover. Por team morale, JV and Craig Pollock I'm sure will sell their shares, and they have better long term potential anyway. After all, Jordan are Arrows esque perennial under achievers, IMO overrated by many people in these forum pages. They are reasonable but have gone backwards in the last 2 seasons.

I think I have said before that Jordan are the David Coulthard of F1 teams, ie "Next year will be our year..."

And don't forget BAR have equalled Jordan in the WCC this year...not bad for a team that everyone seems to think are underperforming.

I don't entirely agree that BAT will pull out either. Motor racing has won a huge 10 year tobacco advertising reprieve from the EU and can openly advertise in most parts of the world anyway. If anything, they will concentrate more on motor racing because as time goes by F1 will become the only place they can advertise. This may even give the teams a stronger hand in the medium term for screwing more money out of them.

BAR will become the Honda team. Jordan will end up with either 2 year old Ferrari engines or some Supertec rubbish and slide even further down the grid.

I only find it sad from Fisi's point of view as he has just left a future multiple championship winning team for a ne'er will be, and the poor chap had no say in the matter!
Old 25 Oct 2001, 00:01 (Ref:165115)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Totaly agree with you ONO...

Not very surprising...
Old 25 Oct 2001, 05:50 (Ref:165153)   #18
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Jordan has a difficult choice: VW seems to be calling his door and he is trying to tie closely with Honda.

If he goes on with Honda, VW are going to probe another team, and, in the end Honda COULD go towards BAR anyway.

If Eddie attends VW negotiations, Honda is not going to be pleased and could go to BAR, and Jordan would end with a "promise" fron VW, and, anyway, VW is a unknown quantity in F1 (BTW, I suppose they would use Audi racing engine experience).

A risky situation, and with all those big makers entering F1, Jordan could end as a low ranked team.
Old 25 Oct 2001, 10:16 (Ref:165190)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Well, VW can ask Audi to go the Auto Union route and ask Porsche to design an engine and car for them - it's been done successfully before.
Old 25 Oct 2001, 10:32 (Ref:165194)   #20
timbo2001
Racer

timbo2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just don't know...to hard to pick at this point. I voted for Jordan, but that was just based on current performance. We will just have to wait and see how things develop over the next few years.