Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 16 Jan 2002, 17:45 (Ref:199625)   #1
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Series

Just an interested spectator here.

From what I have seen recently there wil be a couple of new series in the uk this/next year.

The first one is the 750mc Sports 1000 series. From what I can see it is the popular 750 Formula chassis (similar) with the BMW (???) bike engine. If it is anything like any of the other 750mc series then it will be a grate success. I have a horrible feeling that it is jumping on the band wagon a bit, look at Radical, GT lights for example. Yes the new Sports 1000 chassis is alot cheaper than other series, but the others are established. Time will tell.

Is there a new car series by the 750mc is running/setting up, Does any one know of anything about this?

Is there a new sports endurance series for SR2/LMP675 type class and Radical SR3 cars. Seems a sensible idea again as it is a stepping stone from Radical/ National Supersports up to FIA class.

Does any one know about any of these series and any other ones that are being setup, including the European Enduance series. And are any of you compeating in any of these?
Old 16 Jan 2002, 19:54 (Ref:199723)   #2
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some interesting stuff there.

When I was a member of the 750 MC, there was a continued discussion about motor bike engines taking over from the reliant (long in the tooth and expensive to run for the bhp you get) engines in Formula 750. WOuld make total sense - as long as it remains relatively cheap.

There'll be 3 endurance races in 2003, for SR2 cars?? Not this year though.

There is another series meant to be run by the 750MC, but I have no details of this. Sorry. i check with sources....

Last edited by Dan Friel; 16 Jan 2002 at 19:56.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 00:09 (Ref:203446)   #3
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new formula for 750mc

Here goes, not done this before.

As I understand it, the new 1000cc formula is to cater for people who like the 750 formula ideals but want more speed. There don't seem to be any official details available but I hear the engine will be the flat four bike motor. This obviously appears to be trying to fill the gap left by the demise of Formula 1300 latterly ClubSports 2000.

As you say the subject of a replacement for the Reliant unit has been talked about for some time but the 1000cc unit is not it. However I believe there is a search under way to look at the available motors for introduction in a year or two. This may cause more problems than it solves and I can't imagine the die-hards being too happy at chucking away all their hard won knowledge and sheds full of spares.

There is no doubt that the Reliant unit is a bit fragile but although it is long stroke it can be made to rev to 9000 rpm and give significantly more hp than anyone in the paddock will admit to. It also light at 55kg but the big problem is the high cost and doubtful quality of the spares. It seems unlikely that one engine will last a whole season being pushed over 8000 and I have heard of 5 engines in one season for one front runner! Since during a typical full season of 12 or so rounds, the car covers only about 500 miles at race speed it makes it look rather poor value. There are quite a few competitors who use a lot less revs but they tend not to be at the front of the grid.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 10:37 (Ref:203563)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Red Dog and welcome to the Forum.

It seems that there is 'six of one, and half a dozen of the other' situation here. Hopefully it will work out, whatever they decide to do!
Old 24 Jan 2002, 15:00 (Ref:203658)   #5
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for some of that insight there.

In case you are interested have a look at www.750mc.co.uk for the rules and regs for the sports 1000 catagory.

You never know I might design and build a car after I graduate (Automotive engineering @ Oxford Brookes Uni )/get some money under my belt. The 750mc I think is the best club that allows designer/builder/racers to take part (yes, there are others but they are not as cheap/encouraged), just look at who have designed cars in the past.

The replacement engines for the Relient engine could be very tricky to decide. A bike engine is too close to the sports 1000 series, and would mean redesigning the rear end. Other than that a 1.2/1.4 litre engine (8-valve) could be used, but then l they would lose the name of the 750 Formula (750cc Relient engine). I can see why people are taking there time over the decision.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 15:17 (Ref:203667)   #6
Red Dog
Racer

Hi AndyF thanks for the reply.
My interest in this stems from my owning a 750 car that I spent over 3000 hours rebuilding recently. Not to mention four times my original budget which I must have made up when stoned. You know how things snowball!

I had to convert it from a Ford engine, which had been used for hillclimbing, to the Reliant and it all got out of hand. The job of inserting a new power plant into this type of car (clubmans layout) is not to be taken lightly. Very few components are available from manufacturers so that means paying handsomely for one offs or doing it yourself. For example, my exhaust manifold took around 60 hours to design and fabricate as it had to be shoehorned in around the chassis tubes to emerge at the right place without preventing access to anything important but at the same time making sure the manifold could be speedily removed and refitted. This was the case for the whole process and it sure kept me out of the pub! Not that I can afford to go there now I have entry fees and tyres to consider!

Its just so sad..........oh well, it's my own fault.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 16:29 (Ref:203692)   #7
Red Dog
Racer

Tony Simpson - thanks for the note about the website. I do check it regularly but I hadn't seen the stuff about the sports 1000. Interesting. I hadn't realised there was a ready made car available.
I agree with what you say about designer/builder/racers as this is an essential part of the 750 formula.

My first impression is of a lower cost/slower Radical. It seems to be appealing to someone who wants to enter a one make formula. This is in complete contradiction with the 750 formula. I hope it does not cause a dilution of the 750 formula entrants. At that price I would have been tempted when I was looking for a car.

It does not appear to be a 1300 formula spec as these had Hewland transaxles/IRS and engines delivering nearly 150 hp in their most developed form.
Old 24 Jan 2002, 19:02 (Ref:203780)   #8
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see some people interested in F750.. 3000 hours on a car, and 60 on a manifold!! Now that's dedication.

The book makes an interesting read, as does looking at the cars at race days. A friend and I were really keen on thinking about the series, but the Reliant engines are a bit off putting - they take so much maintainece and it's pretty obvious at race days that some cars are seriously quicker in a straight line (ie cash spent on engines).

I can't see how the F750 and new series can survive side by side?
Old 25 Jan 2002, 00:08 (Ref:203945)   #9
Red Dog
Racer

Hi Dan
You're right about the engine maintenance bit for some of the competitors in 750 formula. Thing is that most of the racers do their own building and maintenance and very few have had serious training in car engineering. So of course vital things get missed and when you're pushing the components so far beyond their design limits you simply can't get away with that sort of thing. That said, I hear that last year's championship winner, Peter Bove, had the same engine all season so he must have done something right (or got someone to do it for him!)

I really hope the new formula doesn't cause a problem. It doesn't look like it offers quite the same scope for innovation as 750 - certainly not in the engine department. I suspect it will attract those who don't want to spend quite so much time in the garage.