Old 11 Feb 2002, 12:41 (Ref:214025)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Damatta the man?

From CART.com
"MONTEREY, Cal.--The weather was spectacular and cooperative both days as CART teams were able to log hundreds of laps at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca.

But everyone came away from Sneak Preview with the same perspective: The back of Cristiano da Matta's car.

The 28-year-old Brazilian was not only fastest in all four practice periods around the 2.238-mile road course, he had more than a half a second advantage on the field as CART prepared for its season opener next month in Mexico.

“It's very rewarding for the whole team even though it doesn't count for points or anything,” said da Matta after turning a lap of 1:08.981 (116.797 mph) in the Havoline Toyota/Lola on Sunday afternoon--the lone driver to break 1:09. "

After bookending the season with wins at the beginning and the end and now showing impressive speed in testing, I think this could be DaMatta's year. All he needs is to be a little more consistent like his countryman DeFerran and the title will be his. But in CART nothing is certain and that makes me a very happy man!
Old 11 Feb 2002, 14:16 (Ref:214064)   #2
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is Newman-Haas' best chance to challenge in my opinion. No offenvce to Christina Fittipaldi or his fans, but I think he has not performed nearly well enough.
Never forget #99
Old 12 Feb 2002, 09:18 (Ref:214429)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
da Matta has been on a roll since his victory at Surfers Paradise last year. He's been in form at testing since it started, and the Lola-Toyota package looks strong.

I will be barracking for him this year.

Da Matta is da Man!
Old 16 Feb 2002, 08:13 (Ref:216980)   #4
knackaneal
Rookie

knackaneal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
His form from late last season, which has continued through testing, would make him hot favourite to have back-to-back at Monterrey.
Old 18 Feb 2002, 07:41 (Ref:218323)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes - i really believe that christiano would have to be the season favorite by a long shot. think many drivers will win races, but christiano will win races and get consistent podium finishes.