Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 24 Mar 2002, 08:06 (Ref:242704)   #1
steve bang
Rookie

steve bang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tony cockrane?

Where was V8 racing before tony pushed the marketing machine out?
Are a lot of people jealous now that it is working bigtime for the class? I don't see the crowds dropping off at all the race venues just getting bigger.
So has he done it wrong?
Old 24 Mar 2002, 09:45 (Ref:242732)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting his name misspelled is one thing...

Forcing all other classes to dive into obscurity, so the V8s get everything, the rest nothing....
Old 24 Mar 2002, 10:24 (Ref:242745)   #3
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly, V8 Racing has benefited from a good TV deal, which could have been negotiated by anyone.
Secondly, there was also a seachange emerging in the category, with Lowndes et al entering the series. It was destined to boom.
Third, around the mid - 1990s Ford brought back the V8 production engine, and was looking for a marketing tool.

Fourth, touring cars had massive publicity and interest in the mid 1990s from not only the V8s, but a very large group of 2L supporters, even though many did not attend the races. They were watching on TV in their thousands.

Lastly, the V8s have benefited from the excellent economic policy settings of the Howard-Costello government, which has produced boom conditions. Companies have lots of spare cash to throw around.

WHO AGREES WITH MY ARGUMENT ??
Old 24 Mar 2002, 10:39 (Ref:242757)   #4
steve bang
Rookie

micheal, my point is that no one did negotiate a deal, Lownes couldn't drive and promote, ford still hasn't really got off their butts and done too much yet and how many people went to Bathurst and watched the 2 litre cars?
and can we believe that V8 watchers only go to the track and 2ltr watchers stay at home? My how come poor old cochrane has done nothing, give him his dues he got it moving and now you all don't like him. Little thanks to someone who could not only see a future in V8's but also a buck for himself, and I'm sure the gov policies did't take into account the future of Motorsport. Be thankful that he got off his butt and gave us all a good catagory to watch, you do watch it too don't you?
Old 24 Mar 2002, 10:42 (Ref:242759)   #5
steve bang
Rookie

ooops to Ray, the money for V8's is mostly produced by them and the other classes don't really produce much do they, albeit a start in racing, it's still a bit like schoolboy rugby compared to the Aussie test team. he who is watched by the masses makes the advertising dollar and gets to spend it.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 10:47 (Ref:242760)   #6
Michael H
Racer

Michael H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've watched touring cars since 1985.

The real genius was Mike Raymond. He was the architect of the regs we have today.

Mr Cochrane has done good things, but he has contributed to the closure of Lakeside, and the loss of V8 racing at Mallala, Symmons Plains.

I stand by the econmoic conditions argument. When we have a recession here in Australia, the V8s will be in serious trouble, because one of the major things TC hasn't done is keep a lid on costs. I mean, they are Ford Falcon's and Holden Commodores, and they cost 350,000 to build!!! Another example is wheel change equipment. It should be standardised, not left to the teams to invest in the most elaborate set of rattle guns. The BTCC did this, Honda and WSR had the whiz-bang guns, and Super Tourers disappeared from the BTCC.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:00 (Ref:242762)   #7
steve bang
Rookie

Hey don't get me wrong I don't think he's a god, he does get some things wrong and i don't like any tracks closing unless they are hopeless for motorsport or dangerous, dollar wise V8's are probably Aussie affordable more than CART or F1 so all those competing do so with their eyes open and those that can't afford it will race something cheaper. Too many rules can also make cheating more prevalent, just a thought.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:41 (Ref:242780)   #8
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh FFS - Lakeside, for all of its faults, was NOT (to quote your words) 'hopeless for motorsport or dangerous'. It was certainly run down but provided much needed club level track availability.

Similarly with Mallala - whatever the truth behind the Adelaide contract locking out Mallala - that should never have hapened. Fortunately WA were more the wiser when he tried to get a street race for WA.

And maybe stop and think about where the money goes for racing.

A street race very little gets channelled back into mainstream motor sport - which is what *does* happen at the permanent circuits.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:45 (Ref:242784)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is just my opinion, but the biggest year spectator wise, was 1997, after the Eastern Creek round, when Brock announced his retirement. Crowds were huge, and at permanant circuits, the attendances have never been bettered. Another thing that made a big difference was the 10 broadcast, over what 7 gave the southern states.

I must say I'm particularly dirty with the state of the permanant circuits, because that really does affect me personally.

Also, one thing I wish they did more of is promoting the Konica Series? Where is it? They keep promising to promote it better to the public, but they keep getting pathetic crowds. Now that they've lost Lakeside, easily their most popular round from the past few years, it doesn't really look any better...
Old 24 Mar 2002, 11:56 (Ref:242798)   #10
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Bomn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the money for V8's was mostly produced by them why does it cost the Queensland, South Australian and ACT governments so much to hold a round on their streets?

The other classes are allowed to attend so that the punters are entertained. If it was an all V8’s affair the crowd would soon get bored and take their entertainment dollar elsewhere.

They sure know how to look after the sponsors, just look how they promote the naming rights sponsors for Bathurst & Canberra last year and the series sponsor this year. If only they did this for all the others.

Last edited by Bomn; 24 Mar 2002 at 11:58.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 13:20 (Ref:242846)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cochrane continually goes on about how if someone (meaning himself) didn't step in motorsport in Australia would be dead by now, can anyone actually have seen that happening, i mean it had carried on fine before him.

The way he puts down other categories and does all he can to damage them to make his series stronger (ST, trying to get rid of PROCAR), they way he goes on that government backing is the be all and end all, the way he sacrifices permanent race tracks for once a year tracks that only he can use, not to mention the rampage against the WA gov't when they knocked him, his actions towards procar at the clipsal 500..............

He certainly ain't the saviour to aussie motorsport like he likes to think he is.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 13:41 (Ref:242858)   #12
Ray Bell
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by steve bang
ooops to Ray, the money for V8's is mostly produced by them and the other classes don't really produce much do they, albeit a start in racing, it's still a bit like schoolboy rugby compared to the Aussie test team. he who is watched by the masses makes the advertising dollar and gets to spend it.
Oh the sweet innocence of youth!

Trouble is that taking a perspective from this late stage you fail to appreciate the true history. Motor Racing is a whole, and the V8s are a part of it... now they are trying to be it all, and create an illusion that everything else is just a feeder category for the V8s.

There have been serious V8 touring cars racing in Australia since 1965, by the way. They are nothing new. They have built their own legends. Mike Raymond did his bit along the way, but he was hardly a genius.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 19:51 (Ref:243038)   #13
RaceTime
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Also, one thing I wish they did more of is promoting the Konica Series? Where is it? They keep promising to promote it better to the public, but they keep getting pathetic crowds. Now that they've lost Lakeside, easily their most popular round from the past few years, it doesn't really look any better...
Well, will be interesting as Round One of the Konica's is this weekend at Wakefield.

What?

You didn't know about that?

Hmmmm - surely there has been advertising everywhere about it

Will let you know what sort of crowd it gets.
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:03 (Ref:243121)   #14
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Been ads on TV here for a few weeks
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:17 (Ref:243133)   #15
RaceTime
Veteran

Where is here?
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:24 (Ref:243138)   #16
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Goulburn
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:25 (Ref:243139)   #17
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was also an add shown on Channel 10 Sydney for the Konicas during yesterdays RPM telecast.

An add...as in 1 add...

I'll be there anyway...who else is going ?
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:29 (Ref:243142)   #18
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Too far for me
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:34 (Ref:243149)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

Well I'll there timing - so I guess that means I'll be there as well
Old 24 Mar 2002, 21:40 (Ref:243152)   #20
Bomn
Veteran

Australia
Just heard on the radio that a competetor had died as a result of an accident in the historic motorcycle event at Wakefield Park on the weekend.

Last edited by Bomn; 24 Mar 2002 at 21:43.
Old 25 Mar 2002, 03:04 (Ref:243327)   #21
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

But it's funny, AVESCO said that they'd help the Konica Series along... but it seems to me that all of the advertising being done is by the circuits, and there is no uniformity in what promotion is being done.

Maybe if Konica paid more money...
Old 25 Mar 2002, 04:16 (Ref:243345)   #22
Ray Bell
Veteran

That means that TV ads are running in Canberra... they should get some good response to that...
Old 25 Mar 2002, 04:55 (Ref:243356)   #23
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will most definately be there this weekend - looks like I've just scored free tickets for me and the Mrs !
Old 25 Mar 2002, 05:04 (Ref:243358)   #24
hoffy
Racer

hoffy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ahhh the great TC.

Just remember TC is foremost a business man.

One question. Did he have any interest, or even knowledge of motorsport before he joined IMG's task of promoting V8 touring car racing in Australia?
Old 25 Mar 2002, 05:20 (Ref:243361)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

Don't believe so. Concerts, yes - V8's ????