neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Engine upgrade under development...

direct qute from http://hondaf1.vtec.net/hf1.htm

March 26, 2002
Engine upgrade under development...

HF1 can reveal that development on the next evolution of the RA002E is in full swing.
Honda has dropped development on the current spec engine to a minimum and is now focusing their attention on the next step. The engine is currently undergoing bench testing, and is said to be a major upgrade from the current unit. Pending how testing goes, the unit is scheduled to makes it’s race debut at the Canadian Grand Prix. The timetable could be moved forward if testing goes exceptionally well, but HF1 has been told that is a big if.
However, initial testing has given Honda belief that they will significantly close the gap to what they believe are the current top horsepower engines in Formula One.

Being sceptical, I will not even get my hopes up.

Last edited by neilap; 28 Mar 2002 at 20:04.
Old 28 Mar 2002, 22:20 (Ref:246230)   #2
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt Honda bring a new engine at Suzuka last season? It didnt really help them did it !

Like you, I have my doubts. I think even the Cosworth has more power than the Honda at this point.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 03:48 (Ref:246402)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Actually I think Cosworth is building a pretty decent motor. But the teams just "SUCK!". Honda wishes they could put all the blame on the chassis.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 03:54 (Ref:246404)   #4
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda could always blame BAR for the awful chasis & aero package.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 04:28 (Ref:246419)   #5
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Didnt Honda bring a new engine at Suzuka last season? It didnt really help them did it !

Like you, I have my doubts. I think even the Cosworth has more power than the Honda at this point.
Yes, I remember the special "Suzuka spec" engine that was so highly touted. It wasn't much to shout about.
So if they do find some horsepower with this newest unit, they had better be thinking about the chassis they're going to connect it to, or it won't make a damn bit of difference.
Toyota is a good example of a strong motor married to a mid-field chassis. No doubt Brunner will be a bit more adventurous in his next design, and BAR should think about something different too.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 18:15 (Ref:246709)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
They have already began to fire people at BAR. Jordan IMO is a better reflection of the Honda motor. Still I feel they could be even quicker if they were in a Mac. chassis. I would expect, if the rumors I hear are true, that the improvemets will be in the area of 20 hp. Who knows that might put them at around 830. If they are not at least best of the rest, then the chassis will definately have to take more of the blame.
Old 29 Mar 2002, 21:10 (Ref:246869)   #7
DavyboyLT1
Racer

DavyboyLT1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I've said in another thread, Honda is not enjoying their current position, nor are they content with Toyota being ahead of them.

I don't think there's really anything catastrophically wrong with the Honda engine. Honda just has the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as far as teams go.

Honda has the budget, skill, and resources to be competitive - they won't tolerate being in the back half of the grid for long.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:25 (Ref:247027)   #8
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavyboyLT1
As I've said in another thread, Honda is not enjoying their current position, nor are they content with Toyota being ahead of them.

I don't think there's really anything catastrophically wrong with the Honda engine. Honda just has the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as far as teams go.

Honda has the budget, skill, and resources to be competitive - they won't tolerate being in the back half of the grid for long.
I agree. The sooner they get rid of BAR, the better.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:29 (Ref:247030)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Somehow I don't think that if you put the Honda engine into a Williams or a Ferrari chassis it would be winning races...

BAR have their problems, but if Honda are going to blame it all on them then they are avoiding their own problems. Remember, that same Honda engine is in the Jordans, and they haven't done any better than BAR so far this season.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Mar 2002, 00:31 (Ref:247033)   #10
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
Honda could always blame BAR for the awful chasis & aero package.
As far as i was aware (last year at least) Honda were assisting with the design of the BAR chassis. If this is still the case, they can blame the chassis, but they'd really be blaming themselves!
Old 30 Mar 2002, 02:19 (Ref:247087)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Ok, I have read and heard that the Macs are down about 40hp on the top motor. That would put them in Honda territory. So that is why I said they, MacLaren, would still be about the same place. Yes Honda was helping with the development of the BAR. They are supposedly stepping it up even more this year. The chassis is a marked improvement over last year. As per the drivers. The overall design of the car is what has been its weakness.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 03:20 (Ref:247102)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Anyone noticed the Renault's 111 degree V10? They opened the V angle to that extend. Usually it'll be either 72 or 90 degrees. They certainly lowered the overall engine height.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 04:15 (Ref:247118)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I'm not getting my hopes up at all about anything Honda says but if they want to keep JV they better be talking something huge!
Renault have definately raised the bar in F1 engines they spent last year making the revolutionary engine reliable and now they can focus on just making it fast fast fast...physically it has to be a huge advantage in that it lowers the center of gravity and we know that the slightest advantages in F1 are huge! And with Renault making the whole package under one team I feel that beginning next year Renault are going to be at the top of F1 for a long while while the others catch up.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 04:16 (Ref:247119)   #14
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and hopefully JV will be driving for them!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 30 Mar 2002, 04:16 (Ref:247120)   #15
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
and the Arrows had pushed the V angle of the Cosworth engine down to 72 degree suiting their chasis (their previous Asiatech's engine is 72 degrees in angle), opposed to the standard 90 degree angle used by Jaguar. Maybe Jaguar should follow suit when they were to revamp the whole aero package as it will lower the center gravity of the chasis by 18 degrees. Just a thought....
Old 30 Mar 2002, 04:18 (Ref:247121)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
and the Arrows had pushed the V angle of the Cosworth engine up to 72 degree suiting their chasis (their previous Asiatech's engine is 72 degrees in angle), opposed to the standard 90 degree angle used by Jaguar. Maybe Jaguar should follow suit when they were to revamp the whole aero package as it will lower the center gravity of the chasis by 18 degrees. Just a thought....