Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:29 (Ref:258853)   #1
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The two Williams drivers

Out of the two Williams drivers I would say that Ralf is the better.

Montoya maybe quicker and a bit more committed, but Ralf can get the car home in a respectable position in most races, where as Montoya, gets involved in a lot of Franas with Michael, and has a habit of overcooking things.

Ralf is possibly cleverer but not as mental. At the end of the day the guy who can get teh car home, and still finish well usually does better over the guy who bins it but delights the fans.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:30 (Ref:258855)   #2
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say Montoya was the more exciting driver, and Ralf the more sensible. I think Ralf is slightly ahead at the moment, though - but I think Montoya is the better driver generally.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:35 (Ref:258861)   #3
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Montoya may be quicker
- I would have disagreed with that during the first half of last year

- I would have agreed with that at the end of last year.

- I would have agreed with that at the start of this year.

- I think Im beginning to disagree with that again.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:35 (Ref:258862)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone else remember Ralf's first year or 3. He crashed into anything that moved and some things that didn't. Montoya is inexperianced and will learn. At the moment he is quicker, has more talent and can only improve. JPM will be the next M Schu of F1.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:38 (Ref:258866)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
lets wait until at least the mid part of the season, thats when rafe's performance has "dipped" marginally! at the end of the day, they have out qualified each other twice, with 1 pole going to jpm, but then rafe has won 1, and there's only 2 points between them!! it doesn't really get much closer does it!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:41 (Ref:258869)   #6
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
true, people are forgetting halfie's first few years in F1, when he caused quite a bit of havoc.
considering the difference in experience, halfie should be miles in front of montoya,which he clearly is not!!
i know who i would rather have in my team.

PS...... not ralf!!!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:48 (Ref:258874)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
the 2 williams boys both seem to be doing the job required of them at the moment, i wonder how honest patrick head was being when he said that he wouldn't swap either jpm or rafe even if tgf was available!

(p.s....calais, check ya PM's)
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:51 (Ref:258875)   #8
z2252314
Racer

Quote:
true, people are forgetting halfie's first few years in F1, when he caused quite a bit of havoc.
I think we also must remember that Ralf did not have the luxury of driving a top car from day 1. It is much easier to get clumsy in the middle of a pack than it is up the front. Also, I agree with Monntoya in that he was not really a 'rookie' last year. He had 2 years of Cart experience which offers plenty of wheel to wheel racing. Despite this, Montoya, when he learns, will become a good driver, but not great (in my opinion). He seems very similar to JV. Comes to F1 as Indy champion, plenty of confidence, willing to take on Mschu, very quick, but prone to outbreaking himself and pushing to hard. However, he is a joy to watch, and Im grateful we have him in F1.

Last edited by z2252314; 13 Apr 2002 at 12:51.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:57 (Ref:258879)   #9
z2252314
Racer

Quote:
i wonder how honest patrick head was being when he said that he wouldn't swap either

Im tempted to believe Patrick, he has always come across as an honest man to me. However, I think Frank would have different views (I hear he has tremendous deal of respect and admiration for MS). And lets not forget all the BMW bosses who would be dying to get the nations hero behind a BMW engine!!! Merc sales would drop by 50%!!!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:03 (Ref:258889)   #10
calais
Veteran

i wouldnt swap JPM for anyone, but if i had to choose between halfie or big bro, well thats a no brainer really.
even though my views on TFG are no secret, halfie is no match for his brother
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:14 (Ref:259044)   #11
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf's clearly the better driver at this stage although they are pretty evenly matched. Ralf came into F1 with very little testing experience and he was still very young and inexperienced but when he found his way around - around mid 98 he was super fast. Montoya came into F1 at an older age plus he had a lot of testing experience with Williams not to mention a couple of seasons in CART - he did well in his first season but he was also driving a very good car and racing for a top team.

I thinks its safe to say Jacques made a much bigger impression that Montoya in his first season.

At the end of the day though - what really matters is who ends up on top at the end of the year. My money is on Ralf because I feel he's better, quicker, and smarter.

Ralf has had a great start to the season - with a win despite a DNF in the first race, he's ahead of his team mate and is 2nd in the championship. Pretty good comeback after the first race.

I also believe Ralf is a clean racer which is a big plus to his driving in my book. He's aggressive but he wont pull off dirty tricks on another driver like some other people would do. No names required/
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:29 (Ref:259069)   #12
calais
Veteran

mania,
a true montoya supporter......................not!!!!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:31 (Ref:259074)   #13
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Juan is not a bad driver. He's quick but he has never made the transition to F1. He was successful in CART and he won't change his ways because it's very difficult to change a behavior when you've been successful with it (even if it's in a different series).

One thing should be clear about J.M.:

He's not young and inexperienced. He had plenty of experience as an F1 test driver, he had plenty of experience in high speed, open-wheel racing in CART and this is his second season in F1 with the best engine around.

Young and inexperienced fits Kimi, Fernando Alonso and Jenson in his first season or Jacques in the first two seasons (the current gold standard of what a real rookie should be).

It's time to take a good view at the idea that Juan is a quick, emotional and exciting driver that lacks racecraft and so far has failed to deliver on his overblown expectations.

Last but not least, it's true that he won at CART when he came to the Ganassi team, a group that was already at the very top. When things changed he also had some very forgetable seasonsn at CART.

Cheers

RT

Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:44 (Ref:259085)   #14
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
1) I think we also must remember that Ralf did not have the luxury of driving a top car from day 1. It is much easier to get clumsy in the middle of a pack than it is up the front.
2) He seems very similar to JV. Comes to F1 as Indy champion, plenty of confidence, willing to take on Mschu, very quick, but prone to outbreaking himself and pushing to hard.
Not fair...
BAR is a crappy car too !
If you use that "not a top car" statement for Ralf, use it for the rest too...
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:57 (Ref:259099)   #15
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To close to call
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:24 (Ref:259120)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think at this point the two of them are equally good.

Both of them are young (26?), so they have time to learn and improve.

At this moment, Montoya is much better than he was a year ago. I don't know whether Ralf has improved as much as he did (considering the improvement of the Williams, the problems of McLaren and the bad luck Rubens had so far).

Only time can tell, but I think both of them will be championship contenders within 3 years.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:33 (Ref:259127)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Don K
Only time can tell, but I think both of them will be championship contenders within 3 years.
so we've got to endure watching tgf win the wdc for the next 2 - 3 years, as no one else is up to the job at the moment? both williams boys will be challanging for the wdc this year, but by 2 races from the end, one won't be in contention any more and the other will, lets wait and see!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:36 (Ref:259128)   #18
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf's the sparkler and Juan's the firework, the firework is more exciting, but is more dangerous and lasts way less time. The sparkler is pretty bright, can be dangerous in moderation, but is much safer and lasts longer.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 17:16 (Ref:259154)   #19
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Both drivers work off each others strenghts and weaknesses wherever they are. That's why Williams will win the WCC because they'll just keep racking up points.

JPM is the ultra-aggressive balls-to-the-wall sort of driver, but which sometimes can be his undoing. Ralf is a thinker and planner, but sometimes lacks that killer instinct.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 18:34 (Ref:259202)   #20
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
so we've got to endure watching tgf win the wdc for the next 2 - 3 years, as no one else is up to the job at the moment?
Not necissarily.
We have Coulthard and Barrichello.
And Ralf and Montoya. (In fact I even told you this in the text you are quoting!)
And maybe Raikkonen.
Maybe Heidfeld.
Or maybe some new driver.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 20:04 (Ref:259245)   #21
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Halfie has been in F1 for 6 years. Experience counts when it comes to tricky conditions like this weekend. They had to setup their cars while qualifying because they wasted their time on friday.

Formula Juan had two bad races in a row. Part because of his temper and part because FIA's bias in favor of Schumacher. This is not the end of the world.

In a way is better that way. tomorrow he wont be too close to chopper so hopefully he will be doing some overtaking like a year ago on Trulli and Panis. If the track suits the Michelins a victory is not out of question. Go for it Juan.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 21:29 (Ref:259305)   #22
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
The fact is Montoya hasn't made a mistake since canada last year. He's quick and has been a victim this year, he'd be leading the WDC now with 2 wins if it was not for TGF's somewhat questionable driving techniques.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 01:13 (Ref:259454)   #23
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf has been clear the better of the two this year
theie both had fairly even start to the season with racing incident a peace in two GP's but Ralf has shown a clearer head and smarter driving
Old 14 Apr 2002, 02:07 (Ref:259487)   #24
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damon - thanks..I needed a laugh.

Last edited by Mania; 14 Apr 2002 at 02:07.
Old 14 Apr 2002, 08:35 (Ref:259636)   #25
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by M Power
Ralf has been clear the better of the two this year
theie both had fairly even start to the season with racing incident a peace in two GP's but Ralf has shown a clearer head and smarter driving
And a guttless streak which means he will never overtake his brother, even in a quicker car (although I'd be scared of overtaking someone who will do anything neccessary to keep you behind.

Mania, I'm glad you find me so amusing, but I will reiterate my comment to aviod confusion; JPM did not make an error in Brazil. He, along with the rest of the field, thought that Schu was on a 2 stop stragagy and therefore needed to get back in front if he was to have a chance of keeping in touch for the rest of the race. As it turned out Schu was infact on a 1 stop stragagy which made JPM's first lap move seem a little misplaced. If JPM had been trying to overtake any other driver he would have come out in one piece. No matter who you support it was clear that Schu moved after JPM, i.e. late.

Lets hope that we get a good clean race today if Schu allows it.