Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 May 2002, 13:14 (Ref:300379)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those with a "Can't Do" Attitude - Zanardi Speaks to You

May 28) (CP) - Alex Zanardi changed a flat tire on his car Tuesday.

There wasn't a cheering crowd watching, he didn't hoist a trophy over his head afterwards or make the sports highlights on television. But for the two-time CART champion, who lost both legs in a horrific race crash last September, it was a victory as sweet as he'd experienced.

"For me this is a new life," Zanardi said in a telephone conference call from his home in Monte Carlo.

"I was all alone and I changed the tire on my own. I didn't know if I could do it before so I was very proud.

"Every day I do something new it's a little win. There was no crowd like when I won at Long Beach. Still, it's an achievement for me, it's progress. Every time I achieve a result I realize I'm fighting and I am improving. It's a reason for me to smile. "

Zanardi had both legs amputated above the knee after nearly being killed in a Sept. 15 race in Germany. He was leading the field when, as he left the pits, he lost control of his Honda Reynard and spun backwards into the path of Alex Tagliani of Lachenaie, Que. Tagliani hit Zanardi's car at 320 kilometres an hour, shearing it in half.

In the long, painful months since, Zanardi has learned to cope with his artificial legs. He drives a car modified with hand controls and spends time on his boat.

He says there are days when he's miserable, when he envies people who have lost only one leg.

"I would love to have one leg," said the Zanardi, who was CART's rookie of the year in 1996, then won back-to-back titles with the Chip Canassi team in 1997 and 1998.

"I guess the ones who only have one leg, they envy the ones who are only missing one leg below the knee."

Zanardi also realizes his wife came very close to being a widow, his young son left fatherless.

"I know I'm a lucky guy," he said.

"I know after an accident like I had, only one guy out of 1,000 can really go back home and still live. I am that one.

"I haven't dropped one single tear after my accident. Maybe if I could cry it would help. I don't think I'm a tough guy, I just have a very good realization with life in general. I can still see all of the positives with my life."

Showing some humour, Zanardi said he's happy summer is approaching so he can return to swimming in the ocean.

"The sea is big enough for nobody to notice a strange human being without legs going up and down the water," he laughed.

"It's pretty embarrassing to go into a swimming pool, take your legs off and jump into the water. The kids tend to watch you like you are a strange sort of animal."

Zanardi said his wife has proven to be a fountain of strength.

"In all this time, she never watched me with that look that mean's I'm sorry for you," he said.

"She always looked me in the eye straight and said 'I know you're going to do it.' While everyone was doubting I would survive, while everyone was telling her she had to pray, she called BMW and ordered me the car with manual controls."

Among the many drivers who called was Toronto's Paul Tracy and a grief-stricken Tagliani.

"It was very hard for me to try and pick him up," Zanardi said.

"I wanted him to feel totally free from any responsibility. He doesn't have any responsibility in the accident."

Zanardi wavered when asked if he would consider returning to racing if the rules were changed and he could drive a specially modified car.

"I could see myself driving with only my hands and probably do very well," he said thoughtfully.

"I wouldn't be scared to try again, I would only be excited. But I have great results behind me, a lot of trophies. Is it really worth it to jeopardize the quality of my family? I don't know. It's something I will find out along the way."

Zanardi can't remember much of the day of the crash. He's watched the replays, shuddered at the images of him being pulled from the wreckage of his car. But for him, the time for regret is past. He wants to move on with his life.

"It was just bad luck," Zanardi said.

"I don't want to waste time with a sad face. I like to smile and have people smile back."

========

Emphasis added.

So when you get the urge to just think of looking Zanardi in the face and saying "What's the use, nothing I do matters, I can't change anything ... " and instead and roll up your sleeves and do it!

Now I must rush off and light about a church full of candles for Ronaldo's knee, and for PT to win Milwaukee so he can have the celebration that Brand X cheated him out of last Sunday.
Old 30 May 2002, 13:41 (Ref:300397)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Zanardi wasn't your hero before, he should be now.

What character from a guy who's had half his life taken away. But he recognised what's most important - family.

I've actually go the full transcript if anyone wants to see it.
Old 30 May 2002, 20:51 (Ref:300794)   #3
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex. He has to be an idol for everyone. His attitude is awesome.
Old 30 May 2002, 21:34 (Ref:300840)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have so much respect for this guy and what he has achieved, he's done what most people would consider to be impossible and has shown that anything is possible if you have the will power to do it.

And this guy has got so much appreciation for what he still has.

A hero in the truest sense of the word.

FORZA ALEX!!!
Old 31 May 2002, 00:58 (Ref:300967)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's always been a hero of mine. And every piece of news I hear about him only re-inforces it more. I reckon they should do a highlight video of his career. I'd love to have one. And what about Daniela? Not knowing how he's going to come through and she goes off and orders him a specially altered BMW! If that's not faith ...
Alex is a real life superman - keep plugging away champion!!!!!
Old 31 May 2002, 10:22 (Ref:301253)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He is amazing. Well done Alexandro.

And Liz, cheering for Paul! What next, President of the Michael Andretti fan club? I'll soon have you as the TAM press officer!
Old 31 May 2002, 12:54 (Ref:301449)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Amen to all of it , a true tower of strength
Old 31 May 2002, 16:19 (Ref:301718)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm cheering for PT because he was cheated out of the IRL 500 win -- I want to see him get his revenge and I think he will if he doesn't explode or something. (His engine I mean, not him personally as long as he stays away from the pies.)

I admire Alessandro for his candor in saying that it has been hard, he has got depressed, and that people stare at him when he's in the pool ... and that it was a lot more painful than he thought it would be. I bet there are a lot of people who are going through adapting to prostheses who find a lot of comfort in knowing it's something he suffers and he can rise above it.

I'd love to see him do the Paris Dakar, wouldn't you?
Old 31 May 2002, 19:19 (Ref:301806)   #9
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It brings it home when Zanardi gets on with his life and we all worry about lesser things that trouble us deeply.

I am reminded every day with a cousin that was born with cerabaul pausy (could never spell it). She's 18 and my 2 year old nephew can do more than she can.
Old 1 Jun 2002, 18:25 (Ref:302433)   #10
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting comments on the Zanardi report, I agree with all that has been sais and the things he has achieved are increadible.

However he is not the only one who has come through this sort of accident, some of you may remeber Goodwood Festival 2 years ago, when we had a driver and a marshal killed, and another marshal have traumatic amputation of one leg and serious injuries to the other.
That marshal, Steve Tarrant, and his wife Jackie, have also had the "GET ON WITH LIFE" outlook which has enabled them to also return to a near normal, though never the same, future