Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 4 Jun 2002, 01:02 (Ref:303975)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Green appeals Indy

As expected, Barry Green has appealed Castroneves' victory.

http://www.cart.com/News/Article.asp?ID=3505

"Objective evidence presently available to Team Green demonstrates that Car #26 clearly passed Car #3 between timing lines T3 and SS2/Section 6 while the green track light was displayed and was in the lead when the yellow track light was first displayed and racing ceased. This evidence includes videotape footage and IRL timing and scoring data."

Says Green, "In fact, the deeper we dig, the more positive we are that we finished in first place."

http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/cart/new...3/protest.html

"But he (Green) claims to have received video supporting his case. According to Green, Team Green vice president Carol Wilkins became aware of the video while visiting a production truck. Green has asked IRL officials to review the master tapes from the telecast of the race. He says by reviewing the video, frame by frame, it shows that the pass was made before the yellow caution light was turned on."

"Within 30 days, George can convene a hearing to hear results from any investigation into the matters surrounding the appeal. However, there is no deadline for the issuance of a decision."
Old 4 Jun 2002, 01:19 (Ref:303986)   #2
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Green would be doing this unless he felt he had the evidence to get it overturned.

On the other hand, I just can't see George giving it to the CART boys. Maybe I'm too sceptical.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 01:27 (Ref:303987)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think TG is as likely to award PT the race as Max is to DQ TGF from the balance of the 2002 season.

I hope that when TG denies his protest, Barry Green makes the tapes public.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 03:33 (Ref:304035)   #4
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The appeal will be heard by an unbiased third party panel. It's the only way Tracy will get a fair shake.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 08:40 (Ref:304130)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From the sounds of it, Team Green and PT have quite a strong case. But it will depend on who holds the appeal. If it's held by anyone closely associated with the IRL, they have no chance.

I hope you are right SevenGrain!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 10:43 (Ref:304266)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspect thery might give it to Tracy, to try and tempt Green to go IRL next year. Politics is more important than justice to Tony George

By the way, from a historical standpoint, has anything like this ever happened before,w ith the result dragged through the courts?
Old 4 Jun 2002, 11:18 (Ref:304303)   #7
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In 1981, Bobby Unser's victory was taken away and given to Mario Andretti due to Unser's passing of cars under the yellow. Penske and Unser appealed the ruling and the hearing was heard by a third party panel. The victory was given back to Unser four and a half months later.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 11:52 (Ref:304334)   #8
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SevenGrain
In 1981, Bobby Unser's victory was taken away and given to Mario Andretti due to Unser's passing of cars under the yellow. Penske and Unser appealed the ruling and the hearing was heard by a third party panel. The victory was given back to Unser four and a half months later.
Unser did pass under yellow the team admit it! The protest was that Mario also passed under yellow and this was found to also be true so they gave the win back to Unser!

My thinking was: If Unser passed under yellow and was penalised and then if Mario also passed under yellow shouldn't the win have gone to third place! (Vern Schuppan)
Old 4 Jun 2002, 12:45 (Ref:304383)   #9
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Morris- don't try and be logical now...
Old 4 Jun 2002, 12:54 (Ref:304391)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Logic and racing don't mix!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 13:03 (Ref:304407)   #11
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not at Indy anyway!
Old 4 Jun 2002, 14:16 (Ref:304466)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I believe that Unser's appeal that year that based on the fact that he was delivered a one-lap penalty for passing on the yellow, but that the penalty wasn't handed down until after the race. Unser's point was, had the penalty been given immediately, he would have at least had the opportunity to make it up on the track.

No Indy decision has been permanently reversed.
Old 4 Jun 2002, 17:11 (Ref:304609)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not optimistic, although the point BootsOnTheSide brings is quite good too. I guess Tony George is between "do I give him so he comes or do I give it to Helio because he's in IRL?"
Old 4 Jun 2002, 17:47 (Ref:304631)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
From Yahoo news...

Green said even if he does not win the appeal, the outcome will not affect his decision to compete in the Indianapolis 500 or the IRL in the future. His team has been rumored to be considering full-time participation in the IRL next season.

"This has no effect on my future decisions to race or not race in the Indianapolis 500," Green said. "Having sponsors, teams and drivers is the only thing that affects that decision. I would be really surprised if the Indianapolis 500 looks at it any differently."

http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/cart/new...3/protest.html
(Same link as above)