Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > 10 Tenths Motorsport > Announcements and Feedback

Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:40 (Ref:316279)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
me and word games

As of now, I won't be participating in any words games/party threads/story theads io 10-10ths.

The reason is because I can't see the point of doing something thats only going to last 1 month. As for parties and story threads, I don't enjoy them and think they are pointless.

Just a few of my thoughts.

Last edited by Speedworx; 18 Jun 2002 at 17:42.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:45 (Ref:316281)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'mon, hakki, everything here is pointless. That's the point!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:52 (Ref:316288)   #3
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the gravel trap is about idle chit chat.

The never ending story is a one off, no one else has copied the idea, it's just a bit of light hearted fun that's all.

After a hard days graft at work in a hot building with air con that's about as much use as those plastic hand held fans you can by in joke shops of 99p, it's nice to come home and relex and read all the funny stuff and idle bits and bobs on the gravel trap.

They maybe pointless to you but to others they are fun.

Ok there are to many "offical threads" and games i agree but lighten mate your becoming like scrouge.

Last edited by MrTTraces; 18 Jun 2002 at 17:53.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:55 (Ref:316291)   #4
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
The fun has gone with word games limited to one month and stories going on forever. Thats unfair!

Do both or none.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 17:55 (Ref:316292)   #5
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Tom Fuller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "happy birthday" threads are pointless... you don't need to keep posting the threads we already have the birthday thread!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 18:17 (Ref:316311)   #6
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrTTraces
After a hard days graft at work in a hot building with air con that's about as much use as those plastic hand held fans you can by in joke shops of 99p, it's nice to come home and relex and read all the funny stuff and idle bits and bobs on the gravel trap.
Agreed - the gravel trap should be fun and lighthearted.
I'm working for a large well known charity this week that has air con in their main london building - it works too well - I almost froze to death. very plush building - considering it's a charity!!!
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:00 (Ref:316350)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
oh cmon lads - a couple of months ago there weren't any word games and no-one was complaining.

As for the happy birthday threads, they're a bit of fun and that's all - and they don't go on forever.

Why is it that whenever anyone says that something can't be done, everyone suddenly gets on their high horse about it - there's tons of great stuff here - I hardly think the loss of 3 or 4 threads after a month is such a big drama.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:04 (Ref:316354)   #8
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
There seems to be a new birthday topic every day, there are 5 word games (dont lose them)
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:33 (Ref:316393)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it so very bizarre, Tom, that some members of 10-tenths are really actually rather fond of one another, and wish to celebrate their birthdays? Now, it would be another thing entirely if the birthday threads were being started by the birthday boy/girl themselves, but usually it's someone who regards them as a loved friend who starts one.

The thread then lasts usually no more than four or five days, and then naturally fades away, replaced by other topics of moment.

The wordgames were fine when there were one or two of them, but they eventually took over the top end of the board, sustained by a very small percentage of the posters. As a result, intriguing and eloquent threads of real general interest were being swamped and buried.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:46 (Ref:316406)   #10
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Word games are all the fashion and there are probably about 5 too many right now. However, I've been around long enough to know these things go in cycles.

Let's not quibble about how many of this kind of post vs. that kind (that's what the F1 forum is for )

After word games go out of style, I'm sure the mods are not going to bother if one goes on for a bit. Or maybe Jay will run out of padlocks.

In the words of Redneck, who recently took his own advice: "If you don't like what's in a post, don't read it"
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:50 (Ref:316409)   #11
Tom Fuller
Racer

Northern Ireland
Essex, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
Is it so very bizarre, Tom, that some members of 10-tenths are really actually rather fond of one another, and wish to celebrate their birthdays?
I was saying that there is millions of birthday threads - what about a BIRTHDAYS FORUM?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 19:57 (Ref:316416)   #12
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
There were 4 active games. Which is not a huge amount and were never at the top of the page.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:32 (Ref:316462)   #13
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Quote:
Originally posted by Neil C
Let's not quibble about how many of this kind of post vs. that kind
OK, so much for not quibbling. Rather than a "birthday forum" how about an "Official Ten Tenths Word Game So-I-Can-Increase-My-Post-Count" forum?

Seriously, the Mods and Admins have a good idea what they want these forums to look and feel like. I trust their judgement. I think you should too, Tom, Hakkiman.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:52 (Ref:316486)   #14
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
How can I trust people who seem to have been trained by the FIA on how to kill things that are fun?
Old 18 Jun 2002, 20:58 (Ref:316493)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
There are so many things I could say to that statement but I won't.

All I'll say is this - how many people do you think would have died in motor racing if there was no FIA? Not everyone thinks that cars slamming into spectators at 150mph is fun.

How long do you think this forum would last if there were no moderators.

I've talked to you about this before - if you're not prepared to do the job yourself then be very careful how you criticise those who do.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:01 (Ref:316497)   #16
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Fuller
The "happy birthday" threads are pointless... you don't need to keep posting the threads we already have the birthday thread!
Do you buy a single birthday card every year and just add the names of all your friends to that card and then send that same card round to each person when it's their birthday? I doubt it, so why should everyone's birthday celebrations be combined in the same topic, it all makes it rather anonymous and impersonal doesn't it? Surely it must be nice for someone to have their birthday and then to see that some people have taken the time and effort to wish them well.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:02 (Ref:316500)   #17
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another thing to remember is this:

Quality, not quantity.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:05 (Ref:316503)   #18
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree with Carrie and EP here Im afraid. It only takes a second to wish someone Happy Birthday. I only know two or three of you guys but if I got a few Happy Birthday wishes I'd be delighted that people I dont even know were wishing me well.
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:23 (Ref:316522)   #19
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
Happy Birthday Shinners!

(may be stored for future use)
Old 18 Jun 2002, 21:45 (Ref:316538)   #20
Shinners
Racer

Shinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridShinners should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey Neil, Happy Birthday
Old 18 Jun 2002, 22:47 (Ref:316570)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HURRAH!!

However, am I the only one here who thought the closing of these threads by Jay was a *little* OTT??
Old 18 Jun 2002, 23:00 (Ref:316573)   #22
Maisie
Veteran

Maisie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Tristan, and anyone else who disagrees with the current state of affairs, all I can say is that Jay posted his intentions quite openly and invited opinions by PM. If you wasted that opportunity to speak up, it's a little too late to complain now.
Old 19 Jun 2002, 03:14 (Ref:316649)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Tristan, that's what we're doing to limit word games now. Putting a one month limit on them. When that came into affect all one month old word games were closed. If you liked a particular word game a lot, feel free to start it up again.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Jun 2002, 12:33 (Ref:316915)   #24
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MrTTraces
You mean I've been doing this all wrong and reading "The Gravel Trap" from work...
Old 19 Jun 2002, 12:59 (Ref:316931)   #25
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good call J.