Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 10 Jul 2002, 17:34 (Ref:331213)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ETCC: MG entering for 2003?

MG entering ETCC 2003?
ETCC 10/07/02

MG could launch an assault on the ETCC as early as next year according to Autosport. MG has since some time been evaluating the possibility to enter the ETCC alongside their current BTCC programme. MG Motorsport boss Rob Oldaker said to Autosport: "We looked at the ETCC a year ago and it remains under consideration. We have a menu of motorsport opportunities that is extremely wide ranging. It is possible that we could double up because the regulations are not dissimilar, though I would like to see the rules come closer together." Rumours have gone around in Sweden that Picko Troberg Racing could be one team to run two cars along side the factory team.

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 10 Jul 2002, 17:48 (Ref:331223)   #2
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, aslong as it isn't at the expense of the BTCC racing, which this article suggest, then I dont have a problem with it.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 18:09 (Ref:331240)   #3
MaxSport
Racer

MaxSport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So might there be four MGs in ETCC as well as four in BTCC?

If it happens the ETCC will be in even better shape than I had thought for 2003.

KM
Old 10 Jul 2002, 18:32 (Ref:331259)   #4
100%VauxhallFan
Racer

100%VauxhallFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, thinking about this again - If MG are saying that they could afford to race in both series because the rules are quite common, maybe this would suggest that other manufacturers from the ETCC could race in both the BTCC and ETCC - a la the Alfa rumours.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 19:25 (Ref:331314)   #5
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by 100%VauxhallFan
Well, aslong as it isn't at the expense of the BTCC racing, which this article suggest, then I dont have a problem with it.
How many times do i have to say that MG have confirmed an entry to BTCC 2003 100% certain!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 20:25 (Ref:331360)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 100%VauxhallFan
If MG are saying that they could afford to race in both series because the rules are quite common, maybe this would suggest that other manufacturers from the ETCC could race in both the BTCC and ETCC - a la the Alfa rumours.

That is a well spotted point..Rob Oldaker does say it'd be easier if both series rules could come closer, does it mean that they'd convert this years BTCT cars though ??
Old 10 Jul 2002, 20:25 (Ref:331361)   #7
MaxSport
Racer

3 more times would do it for me.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 07:05 (Ref:331553)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, sounds like the ETCC is really going ahead - great series, wish we had some TV coverage in Australia.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 09:02 (Ref:331626)   #9
MaxSport
Racer

Yes it does,DNQ

I wish we had coverage in the states as well.

KM
Old 11 Jul 2002, 09:09 (Ref:331631)   #10
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, which makes could we see in 2003 theoretical... BMW, Alfa Romeo, Volvo, Nissan, Honda, MG, Renault and Opel...

Well, could be reality in a couple of years, and then we would get close to what we had in the BTCC during the mid 90's...
Old 11 Jul 2002, 10:35 (Ref:331674)   #11
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DNQ the TV coverage is boring, probably because it's live it doesn't seem too action packed, IMO it's definitely went downhill on action from last year.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 10:43 (Ref:331683)   #12
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
I'd have to disagree with you Touringlegend... I think we have seen impressivly many action packed races for such a new set of rules... I mean just look at Anderstorp, change of the lead at the very last lap... and many thrilling battles during that race... Though some races have been quite boring when it comes to Alfa domination, but maybe not so strange since the rules are so new...
Old 11 Jul 2002, 10:51 (Ref:331686)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
The way I see it is that it goes from one extreme to another, long live coverage to highlights during the week that are too short, I feel not enough battles thoughout the field are concentrated on, it's only ever the Nordauto Alfa's, Rydell's Volvo or the Beemer's that I usually see.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 10:52 (Ref:331687)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Oh and they need to get rid of those stupid graphics as well.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 11:00 (Ref:331696)   #15
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Well that I have to agree on, I can't say I like the producers really. They focus, as you say, only on the front cars, especially just filming the leading Alfa's for ages, don't understand why...

Let the BBC take over it...
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:17 (Ref:331750)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
put it this way, boring coverage beats absolutly no coverage every single time.

From what i have read, the racing doesn't sound that bad, and live coverage is much better and i'm sure much preferred by the organisers than post produced, which is old news by the time it is shown.

Off Topic, but kind of to do with the TV thing, it is interesting that in the BTCC post producing the races and showing them at a later date seems to be the preferred option by everyone and has been like that for a while, while over here anything other than same day coverage is required, no matter how good or bad the coverage is, post-production has never been looked at.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 16:35 (Ref:331980)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
The article in Autosport today suggested that they were looking at doing both BTCC and ETCC- in fact it suggested possibly up to 6 MGs in BTCC next year- 2X factory cars, 2X 2002-spec cars with Team Atomic Kitten, and the current ex-factory AK cars with a third independent team....
Old 11 Jul 2002, 17:33 (Ref:332017)   #18
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the reason post produced tv was preffered by the viewers in the UK when the BBC were showing the BTCC was because the BBC often dropped live coverage because of an "exciting" golf or bowls game that was going on! at least with post production there was a chance at seeing some of the racing!

a classic example last year (although not with the BTCC) was when the World Superbikes were racing at Donnington Park. there was a golf tournament happening very close to the race circuit but the 2nd race wasn't shown due to an "exciting" round of golf that was being played, it was so frustrating being able to hear the race in the background noise!!!! this is why we prefer the post produced programs, but who knows in the future we may see some live BTCC races as the series gets bigger!
Old 11 Jul 2002, 18:38 (Ref:332050)   #19
MaxSport
Racer

Johan-with all due respect, I think you are wrong. The ETCC could be even bigger than the mid nineties BTCC.

The fact that it is pan European and that most makes will have multiple car efforts should mean better worldwide exposure. i.e-Autosport has articles and race reports in the front rather than in the back of the magazine.

I don't see the BTCC suffering though. If the rules can be made a bit closer then why wouldn't a Nissan,BMW or Alfa Romeo have cars in that series as well?

Your STCC should be OK too. Once there are some one or two year old cars available there is no reason that manufacturers wouldn't give these cars to teams in that series.

I even think that a strong ETCC can help our Speed WC Touring Series as N.Americans see how neat touring car racing is they will want to follow what we have available here.

Touring cars are the most cost effective way of presenting an image to the public. In these uncertain economic times I think it is foolish for BMW, for example, to spend what they do in F-1 when many people are more likely to buy a BMW 3 Series due to a successful ETCC effort.

KM

PS-how about VAG? Isn't Seat still in the frame? So-Seat,Nissan,Honda,MG,Opel,Lexus?,Ford Germany? all looking at it. Volvo expanding? Alfa and BMW continuing at their current levels.
4-8 cars from each make? It looks good to me.

BTW-there is nothing that I hate more than the sportscar racing boards and how they do a circle jerk about all the cars they think are coming but never do.

The difference here is that touring cars make business sense and I see most of what is being talked about as being realistic.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 19:39 (Ref:332088)   #20
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Question is how long do all those makes stay in racing, points only go down to 6th position so a lot of the cars would be non scorers - can you see manufacturers hanging about if BMW and Alfa Romeo fill the top 10 places??
Old 11 Jul 2002, 21:25 (Ref:332170)   #21
MaxSport
Racer

Good point TL, but why do manufacturers stay in F-1?

At least there is success ballast in the ETCC and in theory an equal shot at success for all. I doubt there will be 300m budgets running against 30m dollar programs like you have in F-1.

Because the costs are reasonable in the ETCC (at least at the moment)there is no excuse for a Honda,Opel or Lexus to not put up a budget that equals an Alfa Romeo or BMW and in turn be able to compete with them on the track.

KM
Old 11 Jul 2002, 22:18 (Ref:332206)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Out of interest any idea what an ETCC budget is ?
Old 11 Jul 2002, 22:30 (Ref:332214)   #23
MaxSport
Racer

TL-I talked by email to two teams and tried to get an idea. Both are factory backed so I don't know if what they quoted me was what they would take for a major sponsor or if it was their operating budget.

Both said that $500,000 USD or so would get the major signage on one car along with other considerations like passes to the hostility tent for 10 -etc.

I am still not sure what it would actually cost to buy a BMW, hire a driver and race in the ETCC. If anyone can clue us in please do so.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 22:40 (Ref:332225)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Must be something like a couple of million dollars then.
Old 11 Jul 2002, 22:47 (Ref:332229)   #25
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Quote:
Originally posted by MaxSport
Johan-with all due respect, I think you are wrong. The ETCC could be even bigger than the mid nineties BTCC.
Kurt, I think you missunderstood me! I also think that the ETCC has potential to become bigger than the BTCC mid nintes! But we are not there yet, but when I thought about how many manufacturers that are looking in to the series it "brought me back" to lets say BTCC 1994 when we had, what was it, 10 manufacturers or so involved...