Gil De Ferran 0 0%
Someone else (please say) 4 9.76%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:23 (Ref:338034)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's the Second Best Open Wheel Racer Today

I think most of us will agree that Mchael is the world's best right now, whether we like it or not, but who comes next?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:26 (Ref:338043)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry ..i really dont beleive that Michael is the best righ t now......he has been for a long time , butim not so sure he can still claim that title .
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:27 (Ref:338045)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Wheres the option to vote for TGF?

Sorry but i don't think he's the best out there now.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:28 (Ref:338046)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
We should all KNOW who the second best driver is by now- it's Irvine- he's been telling us that for long enough....
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:29 (Ref:338048)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Yeah!! I agree with KA, and the best is JPM

Valve
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:30 (Ref:338050)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by KA
We should all KNOW who the second best driver is by now- it's Irvine- he's been telling us that for long enough....
hhehehe , thats going to haunt him forever
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:31 (Ref:338052)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just looking at the results (so far) and it's 50/50 between JPM and "other"..i presume "other" is TGF!!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:32 (Ref:338056)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol @ KA

This is a bit of a silly poll really. How can we vote for the 2nd best when we all have to agree on our 1st best...which we dont.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:34 (Ref:338059)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
yep!!..TGF the 2nd best driver single seater in the world at the moment .
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:40 (Ref:338070)   #10
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeh, how stupid is this. JPM is clearly number 1. I mean, Michael has only had 7 wins this year compared to JPM's 0. Michael is also collecting his 5th crown, and 60+ wins. On the other hand, JPM has had 1 win on a power circuit, during a weekend nobody wanted to race. Cant you see!!! JPM is clearly number 1!!!!!!!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:41 (Ref:338071)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I've added Michael to the Poll, at Jensons expense (surely he's not top 2?)

Last edited by Wrex; 20 Jul 2002 at 12:53.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:44 (Ref:338074)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
JPM has had 1 win........ during a weekend nobody wanted to race. Cant you see!!! JPM is clearly number 1!!!!!!!
I expect those drivers how didn't want to race were still happy to be paid for it! I don't suppose that TGF wanted to race after Sennas accident in Imola '94, but he still went out there and did it! Your point is a very poor one!

Last edited by Mr V; 20 Jul 2002 at 12:45.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 12:55 (Ref:338087)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I support JPM, there's no way I will say he's better than TGF at the moment. We're talking about a driver who has won one race compared to a five times World Champion. However, JPM has the potential to be better, and I'm sure he will be in a year or so. He already is better in qualifying, but he will have to beat TGF in the race in a fair fight before we can say JPM is better. I so hope the Williams and Ferrari can become more equal cars in race trim before long, so that we can see more exciting duels between these two great drivers. And I will love it the day JPM stands on top of the podium with the Schumacher brothers on the two other steps!

z2252314, I think your comments are really low.

Last edited by R; 20 Jul 2002 at 12:56.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:00 (Ref:338093)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by R
he will have to beat TGF in the race in a fair fight before we can say JPM is better.
But how is that possible when the divide between the two cars (Ferrari and Williams) is so big in race trim!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:26 (Ref:338118)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
Yeh, how stupid is this. JPM is clearly number 1. I mean, Michael has only had 7 wins this year compared to JPM's 0. Michael is also collecting his 5th crown, and 60+ wins. On the other hand, JPM has had 1 win on a power circuit, during a weekend nobody wanted to race. Cant you see!!! JPM is clearly number 1!!!!!!!
More Poles this year (so far), using the SECOND best car..., yeah right we´re wrong z2252314.................

Hey Boots, MS is the best on the "statistics" right now..., but, JPM is the best on the grid !
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:31 (Ref:338123)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MY OPINION (I'll repeat MY OPINION) is that Juan Pablo is the second best driver, but probably the best racer, in the field today.

M. Schu is the best driver out there today but his time will eventually come to and end. It always happens, but whether it's JPM or not, time will only tell.

Last edited by f1manoz; 20 Jul 2002 at 13:32.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:41 (Ref:338132)   #17
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it has to be Raikkonen. Only his second year in F1 and he's outqualifying DC, his far more experienced team-mate. If not for all his mechanicals, I would be willing to bet he would be outperforming him in race trim also. I can't help but think that if Kimi were in a Ferrari he would have Michael thinking of retirement.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Jul 2002, 13:57 (Ref:338145)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
I've added Michael to the Poll, at Jensons expense (surely he's not top 2?)
Bit late there Wrex, i voted other (please state) when i meant Michael! (but Michael wasn't an option at the time.........boo hoo!! )

Last edited by Mr V; 20 Jul 2002 at 13:57.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 23:53 (Ref:338456)   #19
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's Helio Castro Neves?? He's just as quick as Gil...
Old 21 Jul 2002, 00:15 (Ref:338464)   #20
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wrex, can you add Gaston Mazzacane?
Old 21 Jul 2002, 00:26 (Ref:338468)   #21
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*nearly chokes on his beer*
Old 21 Jul 2002, 01:27 (Ref:338492)   #22
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is space for Vianantonio Luizzi? (Another Sutton-bound driver like Button, Raikkonen and Pantano).
Old 21 Jul 2002, 08:50 (Ref:338564)   #23
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
But how is that possible when the divide between the two cars (Ferrari and Williams) is so big in race trim!
Exactly, and that highlights what is so sad about F1 today - the fact that we are robbed of seeing great duels between these two drivers because the Ferrari is so superior. Just look at last year - Ferrari still had the best overall package, but the Michelin shodden Williams were good enough to perform better at several circuits. This year, the divide is much bigger.

The point is, even I, as a JPM fan, see that he needs to prove himself a bit more in the races - win a few more, and beat TGF in a straight fight - before he can be regarded as greater than TGF. Anyway, none of the "doubters" will be convinced until this happens. That's why Canada was so sad, because he really could have done it there.

However, JPM is optimistic about his chances for today's race, as he thinks Michelin has brought a more consistent tyre, so let's hope that performance gap can be closed today.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 10:40 (Ref:338660)   #24
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed

Hey Boots, MS is the best on the "statistics" right now..., but, JPM is the best on the grid !
thats my opinion too.

No one needs to take the p*ss by stating what TGF has acheived , TGF is a legend of F1 , but the question in this thread is Who's the Second Best Open Wheel Racer Today ? note the word TODAY

To me TGF is the 2nd best driver at the moment , his past records are fantastic , but although he is winning the championship , it isnt all him is it . He is making far far more mistakes than he ever has , yet his car is the class of the field . So maybe he aint as good as he used to be IMO...he used to be the best without a doubt , but i dont think he is anymore ...Although JPM has only won 1 race , this thread isnt about that is it , its about being a the best open wheel racer .

For me , JPM is the best open wheel racer at the moment . He has also won on ovals , street circiuts , road tracks , .he has won open wheel championships in CART , F3000 , and won the INDY 500 . And he also races for him self .

TGF has had a 1/4 of his championship handed to him on a plate with a note saying " love from Rubens " . is that really how you be the best ??...i dont think so .

be clear here , im not saying that TGF isnt great or talented , im saying he isnt as good as he has been in the past , where as JPM is heading in the other direction.

Last edited by Sato san; 21 Jul 2002 at 10:44.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 10:59 (Ref:338683)   #25
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I miss Jacques in that poll. That's why I voted someone else