Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:40 (Ref:346759)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Questions for Fernandez Racing?

Adrian Fernandez' PR people have confirmed he'd love to talk to us. What would you like to know?

One interesting angle I have learned is that Nakano has a Quebecois engineer. That makes at least 4 languages they speak in that team. How on earth do they manage?

And I am really tempted to ask, seeing the Hispanic Initiative refers to Dominguez, Fernandez and Jourdain Jr. as "The Three Amigos" ...

"Are you going to wear those big hats?"

But I won't.

Tell me some sensible questions to ask.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:48 (Ref:346767)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you think that running in 2 different series next year will be too much of a drain on resources?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:49 (Ref:346768)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why on earth would you consider running in the bushleague?????
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:53 (Ref:346769)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ARE they running in two series next year?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 23:57 (Ref:346773)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"How do you feel about CART's new hispanic marketing intiative?"

Open-ended, topical... Should provide good copy.

"Would you like to see CART hold more races in Latin American countries? Anyplace in particular?"

Adrian says Road America's his favorite track, so he's obviously got taste.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation of asking about the hats, though I'd probably keep it off-record.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 00:05 (Ref:346780)   #6
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No questions. Just yell him to stay in CART!
Old 31 Jul 2002, 00:17 (Ref:346791)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Does anybody know if he's, er, married or anything like that?
Old 31 Jul 2002, 01:41 (Ref:346825)   #8
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Does anybody know if he's, er, married or anything like that?
Adrian has been in a relationship with a very attractive blond girl for a while - my apologies, I forgot her name now - but I think he remains single.

I would suggest to ask about the dual role he has to play, being at the same time driver and team owner. How does he manage to be two?

Other possible questions:

- his expectations on the forthcoming GP de Mexico in Hermanoz Rodriguez;

- how did it all start? How he got involved with motorsport?

- what would he do if he were Chris Pook?

- his thoughts on Formula 1;

- will we see Fernández Racing in sportscars one day?

Trusting this can be useful,
Old 31 Jul 2002, 02:18 (Ref:346834)   #9
racing_guru
Rookie

racing_guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He competed against Gil de Ferran in the British Formula 1600 series, ask which others drivers he raced against back then who have gone onto have successful racing careers.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 03:40 (Ref:346857)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Does he think there are any Mexican drivers who can be a star in CART/F1?

If he were in charge at CART, what would be on his "to do" list?

Thanks!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 07:02 (Ref:346901)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Maybe ask him if he has been approached by Honda. And if he decides to run both series next year, does he have any sponsors lined up for the IRL entry? It would seem to me that his current sponsors might prefer the more international exposure that CART provides, but I'm willing to bet that Honda wants Nakano back.

And, again, it would be interesting to get a verteran driver's opinions about the new rules. About the qualifying format and the mandatory pit.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 08:05 (Ref:346923)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
...And his thoughts regarding traction control.

With next year's reduced costs, does he foresee the possibility of running three cars? Maybe keeping two in CART?
Old 10 Aug 2002, 00:18 (Ref:354387)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I though he married a great-looking Australian girl, but I may be wrong...
Old 10 Aug 2002, 01:02 (Ref:354401)   #14
Rachel
Rookie

Rachel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps you can ask him how difficult it is to keep his roles of owner and driver separate, especially as Fernandez Racing plans to expand for next season and tries to sort out which series to run in, what drivers to have, finding sponsors, etc.

But wait - I thought he was going out with a brunette named Michelle...
Old 10 Aug 2002, 01:32 (Ref:354410)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Apparently he is a very busy man in the dating department ...

I guess I won't ask him for a date!
Old 10 Aug 2002, 02:18 (Ref:354417)   #16
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A two pronged question:

"Rumor has it you're running cars in both CART and the IRL next season. If that's true, what motivates you to run in CART and what motivates you to run in the IRL."
Old 11 Aug 2002, 01:36 (Ref:354981)   #17
Liz
Veteran

Very good question, that one. Adding to it, "And how do you foresee your own role as team owner riding two totally different horses?" Personally I can't imagine how he could do it. But I'm intrigued at the thought.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 02:41 (Ref:355009)   #18
gaines
Racer

gaines should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would ask him how much of a learning curve it will be for his teams to switch to the Cosworth next season. That's the biggest problem I see with having a team in CART & starting a new one in the IRL next year for them. Not only do they have a new car to figure out with the non-aspirated IRL engine, now they also have to start fresh in CART by switching to the Cosworth.
Old 11 Aug 2002, 03:08 (Ref:355026)   #19
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm sure you can think of a few questions regarding this quote made by Tom Anderson at Mid-Ohio:

http://sports.yahoo.com/rac/cart/new...onotebook.html

Tom Anderson, co-owner and managing director of the Fernandez team, said Papis' ride was a one-shot deal, but held out some hope that "Mad Max" might be back next year.

"The equipment we have right now won't allow us to expand to a three-car team on short notice," Anderson said. "But that could change over the winter, and we'd love to have Max if there's a way to do it."

Here's my bet: Fernandez and Papis in CART, Nakano in IRL.