Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 2 Aug 2002, 11:25 (Ref:348547)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Depailler - Twenty-Two Years On

Today - August 1 - marks twenty two years since the great Patrick Depailler died in a Formula One testing accident at Hockenheim.

Patrick began his career in 1972 with Tyrell, the team that gave him his first victoy at Monaco in 1978.

He stayed at Uncle Ken's team until the end of that season, where upon the Frenchmen transferred to Ligier.

Patrick won a race for the team, but missed the last half of the season after breaking his legs in a hang-gliding accident.

He came back to F1 in 1980, with the struggling Alfa-Romeo squad. It was not a happy season, he failed to score in the first eight races. Then came that fatal test session at Hockenheim on the first day of August.

Working to improve the hopeless Alfa, Depailler was killed when his car was pitched into the barriers after a suspected suspension failure. After the accident, a chicane was installed at the corner of the crash - the Ostkurve - remaining in place until last year, albeit in a reprofiled form.

Unfortunantly, being born six years after his death, I never saw Patrick Depailler race. But I will never forget the incredible onboard footage from Montreal 1978 - Patrick man handling the Tyrrell around a wet circuit, just magic. He never won more than the odd race, didnt win the title and few today remember him, but he was a fine driver, talented, competent in the wet, and above all an enthusist.

Patrick André Eugène Joseph Depailler - 9 August 1944 to 1 August 1980

Old 2 Aug 2002, 13:48 (Ref:348703)   #2
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should I feel guilty for this???? *hides away*
I wanted to post this thread myself, but I thought it could be an irony....

Poor guy...he was younger than my mom and dad

One more reason for keeping the place the way it was....

DNQ, where did you take the profile from? I need it for my site!
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:01 (Ref:348719)   #3
Rha
Rookie

Rha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Patrick....
DQN where can we find this on board cams....
Thanks
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:08 (Ref:348723)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Rha: I have the onboard camera, I can post it sometime maybe, it's actually a pretty good filesize, I'll see what I can do

Miss Hardt: I wrote all the words myself - feel free to reproduce them - the picture and helmet are from www.forix.com.

Scott
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:23 (Ref:348737)   #5
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I saw Patrick racing. He was an excellent driver, like most of their comtemporaries. For me, he remains in the mythical pantheon together with Ronnie Peterson, Francois Cevert, Gilles, Jochen and some others...
Old 2 Aug 2002, 14:23 (Ref:348739)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Patrick was another one of those wonderful drivers who really only drove for the thrill of victory and for the competition and not for the pursuit of money and the other factors that most drivers seem to be thrilled with in todays circles.

His death was another tragic loss, a loss of another driver who always drove at 100%, always gave his best, never complained and deserved to be there, on the grid, fighting with the best.

The greatest tragedy, I feel, is that his two grand prix victories don't do justice to what was a wonderful talent. He could have so easily won more.......
Old 2 Aug 2002, 17:02 (Ref:348834)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks for posting that DNQ.

Cheers.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 12:59 (Ref:351242)   #8
Mr Pedrito
Rookie

Mr Pedrito should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is my first post on this forum, and I feel this topic is really the first one that touched me.

The more I got into formula one (in the late 80's) the more I appreciated what Patrick Depailler represented. Being born in the same part of France as he was I always felt close to him, and later on as I met people who knew him and became friend with his family I realised he was really one of a kind. Not only as a driver but also as a human being.

I do not know if any of you had ever the chance to see the movie his friend Alain Boisnard, Adieu l'enfant, but it is one of the most touching tribute I ever saw.

He will always be for me one of the last true racing driver.

MrPedrito
Old 6 Aug 2002, 13:21 (Ref:351261)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Welcome MrPedrito. Have fun in this forum.

You'll find many fans of the 70's and 80's around here.
Old 6 Aug 2002, 16:22 (Ref:351405)   #10
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first F-1 race that I ever watched was the 1978 Monaco Grand Prix, Depallier's first win. He was a favorite of mine from then on.

It doesn't seem like it was that long ago, but time stops for no man.

Gone 22 years, we still miss him...
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:03 (Ref:352187)   #11
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The most unfortunate part of his tragic accident at Hockenheim was that the catchfencing that would usually have been up on the outside of the corner, was rolled up behind the guardrail on this day.
Old 7 Aug 2002, 12:41 (Ref:352238)   #12
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which is why some argue it coulda been construed as a case for legal business.
Old 8 Aug 2002, 20:13 (Ref:353357)   #13
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Hi Mr. Pedrito *waves* Welcome...

OK, DNQ, so I can use it and add a link to your site?
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:18 (Ref:353565)   #14
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Yes Miss Hardt, I have no problems with that at all
Do as you wish
Old 9 Aug 2002, 07:40 (Ref:353600)   #15
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Oops....yesterday I realized that you're actually a webmaster of a big great site......

*runs away, hides under the table and does not even try to peak*

I saw your (hi)story article....it's great! You might not have fanatically gathered as much info as me, but you wrote it in a real racing way.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:32 (Ref:353760)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
No worries Miss Hardt - that article was actually written in a bit of a rush, so it may not be as good as I'd like.

Actually, my site is due for an overhaul soon, needs a bolder image, it feels a bit 'sticky taped' together at the moment.

I admire your Hockenheim tribute btw, great site, I have visited a few times to see what's new. I will add a link to your page some time.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 13:40 (Ref:353995)   #17
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
You will????? Awww, that's wonderful! Guess it will help me, since it's still a new site.

I am also putting the screenshot of your signature there...I hope that doesn't need a credit, since I am not mentioning names for that sort of thinsg...or should I?
Old 1 Aug 2004, 16:03 (Ref:1053358)   #18
Crowthorne
Rookie

Crowthorne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Patrick Depailler

I do not know if this has been posted somewhere else on this forum, but today it is 24 years since the death of Patrick Depailler at Hockenheim. His childhood hero, Jean Behra was killed on 1 August 1959 at Avus.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1053379)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Never saw him race, due to my age, but I've read and watched enough material about him to know he was a legend.

RIP Patrick.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:43 (Ref:1061265)   #20
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today he would have been 60 years.

I didn't see him racing either, but I know that he died in Hockenheim at Ostkurve. That place will be in the middle of the forest as years go by, just like place where Jim Clark died.

Old 9 Aug 2004, 21:23 (Ref:1061513)   #21
Crowthorne
Rookie

Crowthorne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bleu

Thank you for the reminder. If my information is correct, Patrick's ex-wife, Michele, was born on the same day and year as Patrick, 9 August 1944.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 12:52 (Ref:1063027)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crowthorne - that's correct.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1407532)   #23
csasml2007
Rookie

Brazil
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
csasml2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where did you find this information about Depailler's date birth and his ex-wife Michelle ?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1407538)   #24
csasml2007
Rookie

Brazil
Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
csasml2007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Pedrito,
Can you tell me what kind of movie is "Adieu L'enfant" ?
There's a interview with Patrick ? or images of him with his family ?
Thanks..
Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1407547)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome csasml2007.

You've stumbled across an old thread. You could perhaps try sending a PM (private message) to Pedrito or an email, if those options are available.