Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Sep 2002, 00:59 (Ref:381155)   #1
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coverage - who does what?

Here in Canada we get two versions of the coverage.There's one with Martin Brundle and others whose names I'd recognize but can't remember right now on TSN - I'm guessing ITV. The other we get from an American channel - usually Speedvision, but this week from ABC.

Speedvision use the same video feed as the TSN broadcast, but their own announcers (including a very dry David Hobbs), who are often better than the originals IMHO.

But the feed we got on ABC today, while the commentators were about the same quality, had much better cameras, more cameras, and much, much better direction. We saw lots of midfield action (Panis vs. MacNish early on as an example).

Who did this feed come from?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Sep 2002, 01:07 (Ref:381158)   #2
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Usually in Canada we get James Allen and Martin Brundle on TSN - courtesy ITV - with Vic and Gerry Donaldson providing us with the preview and post race comments.

On Speed...the three guys you`re talking about are Steve Matchett (ex Benetton mechanic), Dave Hobbes and a play by play guy - Rick J.

Those 3 guys dont actually go to the races..rather they sit in a studio in the States and provide us with commetary from the video pictures which is why they usually dont know whats going on!

The broadcast on ABC today was through Bernie's digital feed with Ben Edwards and John Watson doing the commentary..unfortunately we only get to see that coverage 4-5 times a year when ABC covers a grand prix.

They`re easily the best...the dream broadcast would be to have the digital feed with Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle doing the commentary!

Last edited by Mania; 16 Sep 2002 at 01:08.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 01:07 (Ref:381159)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this the digital version. Considering F1s supposidly losing some casual viewers, isn't the sport shooting itself in the foot by not providing the best possible coverage.

IMO the lack of in-car views etc. are whats making the viewing experience less interesting.

It seems to me as though we are gradually getting less and less inteesting views/coverage to try to force people to buy digital. I like F1 and would be prepared to pay £25-£30 a season but £12 a race, you must be joking.
Old 16 Sep 2002, 01:23 (Ref:381163)   #4
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mania, you forgot Louise Goodman.

John Watson. I thought I recognized the voice.

And digital explains why the same camera angles for the two coverages looked better on ABC.

As I said, the thing I was most impressed with was the direction. Not just Ferrari for lap after lap...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Sep 2002, 06:21 (Ref:381255)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Coverage - who does what?

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
But the feed we got on ABC today, while the commentators were about the same quality, had much better cameras, more cameras, and much, much better direction. We saw lots of midfield action (Panis vs. MacNish early on as an example).

Who did this feed come from?
this sounds like F1 DIGITAL FEED ( bernievision )...it has 8 separate F1 channels on there , but one of the channels called "super channel" sounds like the one you were watching .
Old 17 Sep 2002, 15:56 (Ref:382575)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Re: Re: Coverage - who does what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
this sounds like F1 DIGITAL FEED ( bernievision )...it
Oh, that reminds me...

Traction control sounds like ****.

On the digital ABC feed, you could tell that, 'cause you could hear it. On the cheapo ITV broadcast, you can't.

-Bill James
Old 18 Sep 2002, 17:35 (Ref:383579)   #7
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Hard on the heels of this, ITV's coverage may get a significant upgrade.
Quote:
The plan, if approved by F1's teams, would allow terrestrial channels, such as Britain's ITV, access to the blanket coverage, extra on-board footage and behind-the-scenes interviews that until now has been reserved exclusively for the sport's pay-per-view digital footage....

The proposed changes could lead to terrestrial stations being given access to the main digital feed. Viewers wanting to use interactive facilities, including timing screens, a choice of on-board cameras and an instant highlights channel, would have to use the pay-per-view service.

-autosport
So ITV's directors will have the high quality pictures and sound, and can choose their own storylines? No more follow the leader?

Yippee!

Last edited by paul-collins; 18 Sep 2002 at 17:35.

-Bill James
Old 18 Sep 2002, 20:16 (Ref:383661)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woohoo!

Lets hope ITV does get better race coverage. They do a good job with what they get.