Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Oct 2002, 21:01 (Ref:397099)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An open letter to CBS...

YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

You start the TAPE DELAY of the CART race 15 MINUTES LATE SO YOU CAN SHOW COMMERCIALS!!!!!!!!

I will NEVER, EVER watch another program on your worthless piece of channel!

Oh, wait, I don't already! All your shows are terrible!!!
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:05 (Ref:397152)   #2
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How many commercials were there in that race!!!!! Delaying the race for the NFL post game show!!!! What the *&%#!

CBS has sub par sports coverage to begin with and then to delay the race for post game NFL festivities(which sucks worse than their game coverage)...Ridiculous.

Where was the start? Where was Shinji Nakano's fire? where was the all important Paul Tracy spin they kept talking about!

I do not blame CART's coverage team. Only the morons at CBS that can't edit a race worth a &%*#.

If I were CART I would demand money back from their buy time, not just some of the money, all of it.
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:31 (Ref:397172)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah...the coverage wasn't so great...but oddly it was still better than the coverage we used to get 1998-99 from ESPN...

It was a great race, even if there wasn't a lot of passing. For all the complaining from the drivers about the track, I'm glad they'll be going back next year. This is truly one of Cart's better venues.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 6 Oct 2002, 22:37 (Ref:397176)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
Yeah...the coverage wasn't so great...but oddly it was still better than the coverage we used to get 1998-99 from ESPN...
The big difference was CART wasn't buying time then. Who edited this tape a monkey.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 00:54 (Ref:397224)   #5
crazytrain
Racer

crazytrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lucky for us canucks TSN also tape delayed the race but showed it in its entirety. If you would have seen the race in its entirety you would have been very entertained.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 01:08 (Ref:397228)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The TSN coverage started about 10 minutes behind schedule due to a CFL game, but then it was shown flag-to-flag. And, from what I've read here, I'm sure glad that they picked up the rights to this one!
Old 7 Oct 2002, 01:19 (Ref:397231)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, that was a wild one! I never watch CBS as I remember them telling me that 60 Minutes would be "shown in its entirety" whenever they got around to it, not taking into account that I was going to watch "Cosmos" at 8:00 no matter what time they DID get round to it ... I listened to Race Radio and watched the lowlights of the race to see if Kanaan really did ram Dixon into the wall (and he certainly did) -- but had to break away to see the Trans Am as I was reporting it for my website.

I was extremely gratified to see the Three Deserters do so poorly today and two of them actually collide with each other. Some prayers ARE answered. And I don't care if PT did crash at the end, I haven't seen such exciting driving since Gilles.

Last edited by Liz; 7 Oct 2002 at 01:20.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 01:33 (Ref:397234)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
For those Canadians who missed it, it's on TSN again at 3am tonight.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Oct 2002, 02:05 (Ref:397243)   #9
jcclausen
Rookie

jcclausen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The major U.S. networks are strictly stick and ball when it comes to sports. Golf, tennis and horse racing get better coverage than most motorsports.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 02:18 (Ref:397245)   #10
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here in montreal, we had it Live on RDS in french :-)
Old 7 Oct 2002, 02:52 (Ref:397256)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey guys I'm not so sure that it was CBS and not you local affiliates messing up. I saw it here in Salt Lake and it started on time, they showed the start, the fire, Tracy's spin and the commercials were no worse than usual. CBS showed 10 mins.of prerace car footage + the national anthem complete with jet flyover etc. Did you guys get the 5-10 mins of postrace coverage?

It wasn't as good as SpeedVision has been doing but, it wasn't the messed up show Lee and Brightline evidently got to see. I think you guys should write your local station and b*t*h. Maybe they'll fix it.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 05:31 (Ref:397279)   #12
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
Wow Flatspot sounds like you got the good version. The one I saw was horrible. The race started at lap 16 and after less than a couple minutes they went to a commercial (one of many for a credit card featuring little al and arie pimping the IRL on a CART broadcast), then cut back in at like lap 22 with Kanaan at the back of the pack with no explanation. They cut off the commentators mid sentence at least 5 different times for commercials, then came back in with 5+ laps cut out each time. We only got a half-a**ed interview with da matta then it cut away and I changed channels to the trans am race in disgust.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:44 (Ref:397492)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it depends on whether or not your local affiliate ran football coverage before the race.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:46 (Ref:397495)   #14
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What CBS did is the nature of television these days. The broadcast was light years ahead of the typical ABC Sports/ESPN broadcast. When you look at it from a business standpoint, be glad that there were sponsors for the race because the race won't happen without them.
Never forget #99
Old 7 Oct 2002, 17:18 (Ref:397691)   #15
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just read the Crapwagon.com CBS letter and it appears that both the east and west coast got screwed on the coverage. In the Mountain timezone the football didn't come on until after the race (San Diego vs. Denver). If anyone wants to cover the actual cost of a tape (or send me a blank tape) and mailing cost, send me a PM and I'll copy the full coverage tape and send it to you.
Old 7 Oct 2002, 18:36 (Ref:397756)   #16
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not automatically blame CBS. Supply and demand. They will show whatever is in demand and attracts sponsors. If the sponsors pay for it they will show it. Do you think that they would not show the start of a Winston Cup race due to a ballgame.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 01:23 (Ref:398012)   #17
Liz
Veteran

On the other hand, I tuned in to the Surfers race a couple of years ago and TSN was showing CURLING! This was at midnight and you can't tell me that ANYBODY was up at midnight watching that.

And don't forget the notorious Road America race where ESPN tuned away to a re-run of a golf match.

We also had one race tape delayed here for Arena Football.

Sometimes I think the programming is done by toddlers.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 01:37 (Ref:398014)   #18
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heh...Heh....Remember Heidi?
Old 8 Oct 2002, 13:57 (Ref:398372)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
The local affiliates can cause problems too. I was happily watching the Portland CART race last year (2001) when a series of thunderstorms moved through the area. Thunderstorms mind you, not tornadoes or Russian ICBMs, and they interrupted the race approximately every 5 laps for 3 - 6 laps to show us some overweight weather boffin telling us that there were thunderstorms out there! Looking out my window I was indeed able to confirm that. This was all part of the "Weather Emergency" we were experiencing (I complained - that was the reason.). The really annoying thing is that the boffin would be sitting there saying "we are waiting for an update.."

The bottom line I suppose is that motorsports (Not including WWF on Wheels - NASCAR) in general gets little respect. Could you imagine a local breaking in on a NFL game to tell us it is raining?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Oct 2002, 16:11 (Ref:398444)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Yeah, the last episode of one season of McGyver was interrupted by a prison uprising -- and some earnest young black woman standing in the street with a microphone telling us that there was nothing new.

By the time they stopped waiting for something to happen, I'd missed how McGyver disabled the bomb and got the college kid out of the laboratory to the arms of the waiting cops.

WHY INTERRUPT SOMETHING THAT IS HAPPENING TO TELL US THAT SOMETHING MIGHT HAPPEN?
Old 8 Oct 2002, 16:39 (Ref:398467)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I think that they are afraid we might go off and think for ourselves, or worse, read about it in the newspaper!

I was so annoyed that to this day everytime I see Don Schwenneker (really, that is his name!) appear to tell me about the isobars in Little Rock I rant at the kids about how he robbed me of my Portland race! Just part of the overall attempt by local TV news to pretend they have anything to say worth listening to.

Someday we will have a PPV option for CART races just like WWF on Wheels - and what a happy camper I will be!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.