Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Oct 2002, 17:25 (Ref:402117)   #1
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Butch Leitziger<->Maniac!

He is _really_ making a hell of a case for his talent and determination today! Just spectacular!

The penalty against Biela is BS... That Saleen deserved to get spun around after getting in the way like that.

I do believe this is the best race of the year I've seen in ANY series... All these LMPs running so damn close, flat out!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 12 Oct 2002 at 17:27.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 17:29 (Ref:402119)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a great race, but I think you are wrong about the Saleen -- That Audi team have a history of punting other cars and after all this isn't F1.

I love to watch Brabs and Mags drive that Panoz as if it's a Mini Cooper S.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 18:30 (Ref:402138)   #3
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, but that's the thing Liz, it isn't F1... The GT/GTS drivers _have_ to get off the racing line when they see half a dozen LMPs looming in their mirrors.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 18:37 (Ref:402142)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But as one of the 675 drivers explained to me, when you let one of those silly buggers by, his mate shoves you off the racing line and the rest swarm up and have you off the track. So you have to be judicious in who and how many you let through.

It's amazing that no real retirements yet. The Cadillacs are doing a wonderful job.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 19:12 (Ref:402156)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Spoke too soon. The Dyson MG is out. Way to go out in style, though!

I really had high hopes with that car. Shows what a better class of driver can really do with the car compared to the "gentleman racer" Intersport and Nighthawk teams.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 19:23 (Ref:402162)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Dyson MG has power steering for the first time, which has been fitted by Dyson not Lola.

Dernie the designer of the MG said there was no need after Blundell complained at LM that he could not hold the wheel through the craner curves because of the grip created by the car. This from a guy whos raced F1 and Cart.

2 cars next year for Dyson as well!
Old 12 Oct 2002, 19:26 (Ref:402164)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Ah... See, Speed Channel needs to clue us in to these little tidbits of info. Thanks Liz.
Old 12 Oct 2002, 19:36 (Ref:402173)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pirro also says the MG is quicker on the straights than the Audi but slower in the corners! Figure that out!
Old 12 Oct 2002, 20:00 (Ref:402192)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Dernie the designer of the MG said there was no need after Blundell complained at LM that he could not hold the wheel through the craner curves .....

Not another change to Le Mans - they've imported the Craner Curves now!

Sounds like a bloody good race though - wish I was there!
Old 12 Oct 2002, 20:22 (Ref:402206)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England

Craner Curves

Make that Porsche Curves
Old 12 Oct 2002, 21:01 (Ref:402228)   #11
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Pirro also says the MG is quicker on the straights than the Audi but slower in the corners! Figure that out!
mg is running less downforce? kinda like how arrows would be faster in a straight linen than a ferrari
Old 12 Oct 2002, 23:01 (Ref:402298)   #12
Liz
Veteran

At Le Mans I saw the Prodrive Ferrari outdrag the MG Lolas on the straights. That is one very fast car!

I am very glad someone invented Nomex or Andy Wallace would be a statistic. Amazing how fast those things blaze up!

What went out that caused the 51 minute yellow period? I fell asleep on the couch and woke up about halfway through it.

Oh they are interrupting the race for a NASCAR update! WHO CARES?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 01:01 (Ref:402332)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

The caution was caused when Tony Ave suffered brain fade and wrote off Jim Matthew's lovely R&S MkIII coming out of the last corner.

I pray they manage to get a replacement on the track for a full season next year... The MkIII, with the Elan engine and paddle-shift gearbox, is every bit as potent as the Panozes, perhaps moreso!

The final caution period cost us a fight that would have gone all the way to the final turn otherwise. Oh well...

Without a doubt, I have to say this was the best race, from _any_ series, I have seen all year!
Old 13 Oct 2002, 01:01 (Ref:402333)   #14
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prodrive would have better straightline aero than the MG, and the MG would be slightly better than the Audi.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 12:02 (Ref:402719)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Sascha and Lucas both looked as if they were about to fall down by the time they finished that race. Are they going to give them the dual championship?

Yes, that was a very exciting race and I plan to be there next year (ran out of vacation and couldn't get a ride this year). It is a wonderful venue and the racing is always exciting.

P.S. to Tony Ave: Stick to Trans Am, you nitwit. Why were you driving 100 mph under a safety car anyway?
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:03 (Ref:402940)   #16
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We have all know for sometime the MG is quick - it is a shame the works team have pulled out as I think they would have had a chance of winning Le Mans next year..........
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:35 (Ref:402952)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
Its not yet confirmed whether they have pulled out, even more so now with the Cart engine deal collapsing. If theres no works cars Chamberlain themselves are looking to run cars in 2003 if they have the funding.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 16:37 (Ref:402953)   #18
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JAG
Its not yet confirmed whether they have pulled out, even more so now with the Cart engine deal collapsing. If theres no works cars Chamberlain themselves are looking to run cars in 2003 if they have the funding.
I hope they can becuse Hugh is a legend...........
Old 13 Oct 2002, 17:59 (Ref:403022)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I'd say the Dyson team has a good chance of winning LeMans next year!

Would do quite a bit to raise the European estimation of American drivers.

I think MG and Lola'd be better off providing factory support directly to Dyson... They've certainly proved they can run with the Audis... It makes sense they should get preference in development. And they've got a good relationship with Goodyear already, who are willing to make tailor-made tires for the EX257.

Something has _got_ to be done to to get these cars thru a full race, though, without catching fire!

I hope Rob Dyson brings in someone good to replace Andy Wallace when Wallace is with Bentley... Paul Edwards would be my choice, though if the factory cars aren't at La Sarthe, I guess Johnny Kane would be a solid pick.

I've got selfish reasons for wanting to see Leigtziger and Edwards running against each other on the same team, though. These guys are some of the fastest on the continent right now.

All of that being said, the more EX257s, R8s, LMP-01s, Dallara-Judds, and R&S MkIII-Elans that show up, the better. Sebring and LeMans 2003 are shaping up to be classics.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 18:10 (Ref:403029)   #20
JAG
Veteran

England
MG don't seem to have much to do with the EX257 when the works cars are not competiting. Lola an AER are the ones who have the most invested in this project. Plus Lola will keep working with EX257 teams as they will want them to buy the Lola LMP900 in 2004.
Old 13 Oct 2002, 20:22 (Ref:403133)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
If Dyson are going to entry two cars at Le Mans next year they could do to hire Reid, Hughes, Kane, Bailey and Leitzinger............