Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:04 (Ref:408771)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why all the disappointment about Juan Montoya?

He came 3rd in the WDC with 50 points, 8 points ahead of Ralf Schumacher. Surely he couldn't have done significantly better than that? Okay, he could have won 1 or 2 races this year if it hadn't been for bad luck and silly mistakes, but **** happens.

Just because Montoya didn't live up to the bull**** hype surrounding him, doesn't mean that he isn't WDC material.

A driver can't win, unless he has a car capable of doing so. Montoya didn't have one this year. Ralf won in Malaysia, but that was a fluke.

Don't give up hope on Montoya. He is a champion of the future in my opinion.

Hopefully he and Michael will have a close battle for WDC in the future that goes to the last round, and in appalling conditions at Suzuka, Montoya does a Hill and beats Michael in the wet and wins the title. Could this ever happen? Well, dreams sometimes come true, so you never know. Nothing against Michael, but I want to see him involved in another close WDC battle again.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:408772)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And another controversial move?
Schumachers career is full of it...
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:408785)   #3
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i cant honestly say im a big montoya fan, in fact im the exact opposite. no particular reason, but i am a big fan of button, which might explain a few things. but although i like him not, i also have ALOT of respect for the guy. he's quick to say the least and very talented, as well as (according to some marshalls) a very nice guy. on top of that i think he's the only one who's got guts to go with his talent, and the only one erm... well... brave enough basically to take on shuey.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:21 (Ref:408788)   #4
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Why all the disappointment about Juan Montoya?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya

i agree totally, its just a shame he may have to wait for shuey to retire. fingers crossed for next year
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:38 (Ref:408797)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Why all the disappointment about Juan Montoya?

Quote:

A driver can't win, unless he has a car capable of doing so. Montoya didn't have one this year. Ralf won in Malaysia, but that was a fluke.

Agreed, had the first corner collision not happened then i think Michael would have taken another win, with Juan Pablo in second.

Of course i want to see him win, but the FW24 hasn't been the car to do it (apart from Rafes lucky win of course) so all in all, i'm pleased with Juan Pablo's season, nobody was going to get 1st and 2nd in the WDC, so 3rd is the best (other) place to be. 7 poles and a few fastest laps in his second season (added to his 3 poles and 4 fastest laps in his first season) isn't doing too badly.

Quote:

I won't.

Last edited by Mr V; 20 Oct 2002 at 19:38.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:47 (Ref:408802)   #6
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sad thing is that the Ferraris are so far ahead. Just think of the great battles we could see if the Williams and McLaren were closer to Ferrari. Montoya and Kimi are brilliant.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 19:50 (Ref:408807)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the cars more closely matched JPM may surprise quite a few people. I have no doubt he will be champ. Even if he has to do it in another car. Williams does not seem to be very inited with BMW (maybe its just the media). If JPM was in a Ferrari (as has been said by a million people) MS would have the fight of his life in his hands. JPM is still learning about F1. MS is fully established so is RS. I think next year he will take the next step to be considered by all to be one of the greats, if the car delivers.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 20:22 (Ref:408826)   #8
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suppose if Villeneuve can win the World Championship, Montoya can win the World Championship.
Old 20 Oct 2002, 20:44 (Ref:408847)   #9
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure, but he won't do it in style like JV...
Old 20 Oct 2002, 22:29 (Ref:408898)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think Jacques is better than Juan Pablo... but surely JPM is championship material...
Old 21 Oct 2002, 00:22 (Ref:408946)   #11
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Why all the disappointment about Juan Montoya?"

Because this year he never looked anything like WDC material. As much as I admire the guy, I expected him to blow Ralf away this season. He didn't. Simple.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 01:30 (Ref:408963)   #12
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once he calms down in the car he will do well.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 02:01 (Ref:408973)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Maybe Ralf is better than we give him credit for?
Old 21 Oct 2002, 02:14 (Ref:408982)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uhmm... No. Ralf is a huge arse who only turns on the speed when his teammate is trying to get past.

Juan overdrove the car trying to catch the Ferraris this year, and ended up looking pretty sad. The technical failures sure don't help... They cost him at least three sure wins last year.

Juan was trying to induce oversteer in an FW24 that un dersteers to the point where it requires a very gentle touch to get decent performance from it. That's what Ralf has... Juan ended up overdriving the car to the point where he was destroying the undertray over curbs, and his rear tires were coming apart in chunks.

If he's got a more agile and reliable car in the FW25, something that handles more like the McLaren, he'll demolish Ralf once and for all.

Just like Fisi, Damon and Jensen already did!

Are there any good young German/Austrian/Swiss drivers Williams could replace him with and still keep BMW happy? I'd love to see Jacques back in that seat, but BMW will want a German-speaking driver.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 02:33 (Ref:408985)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Why the disapppointment?? We were brought to believe that JPM would be bringing the fight to MS this year.We were brought to believe that he would beat MS no sweat.. I've expected..but nothing is delivered..that's the disappointment.

But no, it doesn't take away my belief that JPM has what it takes to be WDC. I'm sure he would one day get the honour.

But this season has revealed something, that up till now, while no doubting JPM is a good racer, he has yet to nurture into the "great" many thought he is already. Of course, he may be just as "great" in the future. But currently, he still have quite a bit to learn in the F1 trade. We know he has much speed in him...but he similarly have rough edges and some minor weakness in him which hinders his performance..

But i'm sure he'd mature in F1, and that is when he will reach his peak.

And just a final note. It's kind of tiring to see his fans making a big "whoo-haa" about what he achieved this season. I do find his string of poles and 3rd in WDC as impressive...but surely its not THAT impressive from a man of JPM's supposed potential.

Yeah..the Williams is lacking to Ferrari '02...so no win is acceptable. But both Senna and MS put in far more impressive results in similar situations. (Now u know how high in regards i would want to hold JPM to) As much as he suffered from "bad luck", so had his team mate and immediate rivals.

He aint bad at all...not a bit. But he aint that great yet now either.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 03:19 (Ref:408996)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think too many people are forgetting that this is only his second season and as far as I'm concerned he's done bloody well.

Rookie season wins a race with 3(?) other podiums.

Second season in a vastly outpaced car still managed to finish 3rd overall in the table, beating his much more experienced team-mate, and a McLaren driver with 8-9 years of experience, despite not winning a race.. Couldn't that show a touch of consistency, despite all his mechanical woes?!?!

The only disappointment I take from his season is that he didn't manage a race win, but frankly only two other drivers did in non-Ferrari cars, and both of them were fluke victories anyway (well, Ralf's certainly was, DC was hard earned).
Old 21 Oct 2002, 03:59 (Ref:409010)   #17
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
A lot of this territory was covered in another thread, but suffice it to say that posters criticizing JPM's performance this season forget one thing: neither he, nor anyone else, had the car to do it. Interesting though in this thread that he has been criticized for "trying too hard" and not trying hard enough - all at the same time!

When I get to run my own F1 team I am going to nip right out and get me some drivers who only try hard some of the time, or never try too hard, just so they can avoid the tag of: "Tries hard all the time." Wouldn't want a bunch of drivers out there trying hard! I hope Schumi Lite is still available when I form my team as he fits that bill rather precisely.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 05:23 (Ref:409021)   #18
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a good car he's better than his teammate. In a car slightly less than perfect he begins to struggle and Ralf has an edge. The difference between the greats and Juan is that drivers like Senna and Schumi could also win in inferior cars while Juan cant. The fact is, Ralf has brought home 4 wins compared to Juan's 1. Everyone has their favourites, but all must agree that Ralf and Juan where pretty even all throughout the year. Juan has to prove that he can beat Ralf before he begins to think about MS.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 09:38 (Ref:409082)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
As much as I admire the guy, I expected him to blow Ralf away this season. He didn't. Simple.
Well he did take seven pole positions to zero...
But even myself, a Montoya fan won't lie and pretend he was the clear #1, as statistics have shown Ralf was actually quicker in qualifying overall. I think JPM is better than Ralf though, if not clearly in true speed, then certainly in balls.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 16:28 (Ref:409381)   #20
Tristan
Veteran

I agree. Doesn't stop me being dissapointed with is inconsistency all year. TGF made them all look silly, including his "big rival".
Old 21 Oct 2002, 17:30 (Ref:409426)   #21
zootv
Rookie

zootv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JPM can certainly be a world champion if he gets the right package and if there's no Ferrari dominance like this year. Why not pair him with JV? That would be the ultimate team...
Old 21 Oct 2002, 19:52 (Ref:409565)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

Because there's this illusion that surrounds Villeneuve that he's somehow an "above average" driver with a semblence of a personality.

I LIKE JV and I think he's a very good driver, but never again will he get a top drive (unless Honda whack some serious development money under BAR) and nor does he deserve one. JPM paired with a Heidfeld, perhaps.

Actually, I've stopped typing for a bit and perhaps JV/JPM WOULD be a nice combo. Not going to happen, but it might work. But then in theory a Ralf JPM partnership is perfect. The theory doesn't work in practise, clearly.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 20:16 (Ref:409593)   #23
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Disappointment?
Yes, . . . but not in Juan.

Those Red cars were just too superior and dominating.

Also Juan was not perfect but neither was I, so who am I to point fingers . . . .

I'm more disappointed on the current situation in F 1 but that's another story and many other threads are dwelling on that one.

Juan is so good and promising, that we still find ourselves talking about him. Have a nice wedding Juan, rest it out, you deserve it and come back next year as you always do, with passion and gusto.
Old 21 Oct 2002, 20:26 (Ref:409604)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

But he DIDN'T blow Ralf away. He ISN'T the clear number one driver. He DIDN'T put in anywhere near enough good, solid performances. His season was riddled with petty mistakes and nondescript drives. AND I'M A FAN OF THE GUY!!
Old 21 Oct 2002, 20:36 (Ref:409609)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When Michelin engineers move to Williams as a permanent part of the team and vice versa then maybe there can be an argument about JPM's performance. He is the only one that put up a fight all year against MS, as futile as it may have been. I know peoples memories are not as bad as I get from these posts. JPM outclassed RS by far this year. If it was not for DNFs it would not even be close. At least his DNF's were from trying not from folding and letting people by. Jesus this is getting old.

People, its the car. MS could not have won in the Williams either, no one could have! It is not MS it is the equipment that he has. That is the biggest difference between him and JPM. I find it incredible that people don't see this. No one said RS was slow, he just has no balls. Its that simple. With no one to fight he is just as fast as JPM. Most of the drivers on the grid can be as fast as MS with the right equipment and open space. The difference is what happens when a fight is at hand. That is what defines a racing driver not how fast he can lap with no one around. Drivers need to have the instinct and the will to take the fight to anyone on the grid. The Williams was the second best car so they came in second. JPM is not Jesus Christ he cant turn water into wine. Lets keep it real. JPM was more than RS's equal this year even the media sees it like that.

When he wins the WDC there will still be bone heads saying he is not that good and if the earth was not round he would not have won. As for mistakes, Even MS made some silly ones in his near perfect car. There is no excuse for that.

Breathe... in and out... ok, I am fine now. That felt good!!

Last edited by neilap; 21 Oct 2002 at 20:38.

Tags
jpm