Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2002, 02:51 (Ref:416047)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Boycott tobacco!!

Well, what some of us feared came true. SPA, probably the last great circuit in the F1 calendar has been axed and the reasons? No, it's not because it was dangerous like the original Nürburgring or anything like that. It's because of tobacco advertising.

I say, tobacco has to pay the price. So I encourage everyone in this forum not to smoke any brand that advertises on F1 (cars and on the track). Well, you shouldn't smoke in the first place but if you must then do not smoke any of the following brands (if I'm leaving some behind please tell me):

Marlboro (or any other Phillip Morris brand)
West
Benson and Hedges
Gauloises
Lucky Strike, 555 or any other BAT brand
Mild Seven

Perhaps you can tell your friends and relatives to do likewise.

BTW, I know that this probably isn't going to acomplish anything but I can't take any more of this and as a spectator this is probably as much as I can do. But perhaps if we're enough.....
Old 29 Oct 2002, 02:52 (Ref:416048)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Uhm... I don't smoke anyways... So I'll just boycott F1.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 03:30 (Ref:416065)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The decision to leave Spa has to be the worst move ever made by the FIA. How can they justify leaving the greatest circuit on the calendar & all because of tobacco sponsorship.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 05:01 (Ref:416096)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Asking a non-smoker this is silly, and asking a smoker is pointless.

jetsetter, what makes you think it was the FIA decision?
Old 29 Oct 2002, 06:18 (Ref:416128)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't smoke.

I just won't watch it... well, I missed half the season anyway.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 06:21 (Ref:416130)   #6
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i dont smoke anyway !....it stinks .
used to smoke 30 a day ....but managed to give it up about 10 years ago !
Old 29 Oct 2002, 15:29 (Ref:416444)   #7
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sato san
i dont smoke anyway !....it stinks .
used to smoke 30 a day ....but managed to give it up about 10 years ago !
30 a day and quit for 10 years !!!, Congratulations buddy...
Old 29 Oct 2002, 15:32 (Ref:416445)   #8
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks !.....best thing i ever done !
Old 29 Oct 2002, 18:03 (Ref:416560)   #9
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
you said it !
As a non-smoker, a very strong anti-smoker, I find the whole Spa thing-because of cigarettes, frankly just disgusting that the damn tobacco money power is so great to have caused this.

Just *******g ridiculus.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 19:00 (Ref:416596)   #10
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
As a fierce anti-smoker I too am annoyed this has happened, though I hate smoking and smokers, I do actually like the cigarrette advertising on the cars and track, does have a certain glamour.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 19:14 (Ref:416610)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
you said it !
As a non-smoker, a very strong anti-smoker, I find the whole Spa thing-because of cigarettes, frankly just disgusting that the damn tobacco money power is so great to have caused this.

Just *******g ridiculus.
couldnt agree with you more !
Old 29 Oct 2002, 19:37 (Ref:416646)   #12
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Monster
...though I hate smoking and smokers...
The hating smoking is fair enough, but it is not a bit harsh to say you hate anybody who smokes because they smoke?

Anyway, that is beside the point really. I would say that to blame the 'baco companies is a bit ridiculous, for after all they are just a company selling a legal product. Surely it is the rules prohibiting its advertisement that is ultimately to blame? I would say in this one localised incident the blame should be heaped far more on the doors of the teams and Bernie: the teams because they couldn't just agree to go without sponsorship for one race (if you ask me the Jordan ystem of getting around it is probably more effective than the normal advertising anyway, so why don't the other teams just do likewise?); and Bernie because it would mean he - oops, I mean SLEC... - would lose money most likely.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 20:40 (Ref:416705)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I smoke L&M... Hmmm that nice, rich flavour...
*coughs his lungs out*

Sigarettes are more addictive than several drugtypes, you know...
More addicting than XTC for example...
I stopped using that in an instant, sigarettes were/are a different matter...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 29 Oct 2002 at 20:43.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 00:31 (Ref:416962)   #14
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The whole situation surrounding the UK government's policies on drugs, which will remain with politicians for a good while yet, is absolutely ridiculous. It does nothing but feed an evil black market, which thrives in these times of zero-regulation on their product. There may be a punishment, but it will not deter and has no reason to. It is the health issues that are the concern, and which are being ever more exasperated by our government's, and many like us in our "enlightened" faze of development, policies on what drugs are. Perhaps more accurately phrased as now having backed themselves into a corner, and perhaps knowing the truth, but being to scared to ever admit to the glaring media-enhanced public. There are the odd examples of starting to make a stand on such matters, like for example good ol' Mo. We know what happened to her, so perhaps one example of the madness with which rules our world.

Drugs are, the way I see it, a means to explore other possibilities of life; the risk factor involved is up to the individual to decide, which I have done before taking any substance. This can only be based on the information, of many forms, that is available. It would be better if we could live a world where it is available if you want it, but full availability of information everywhere. I do not mean propoganda that we get now, I mean information on its own: without intention to start people, just a service if required.

I need totake a break now, I am getting somewhat tired. More shall be implanted to this space in time.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 09:08 (Ref:417191)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
More addicting than XTC for example...
I stopped using that in an instant, sigarettes were/are a different matter...
You have a drug history? I'm stunned!!!
Old 30 Oct 2002, 09:13 (Ref:417195)   #16
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I used to smoke two packets of Rothmans filters a day. Smoked them so fast I used to get nasty looking sores on my lips. Gave up smoking decades ago, and now I spend my money on good wine instead.
Stop smoking - live longer.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 14:52 (Ref:417482)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
So you stopped one drug habit and used your funds to bolster another instead?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:01 (Ref:417494)   #18
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you REALLY want to make an impact, just stop watching F1...
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 31 Oct 2002, 18:43 (Ref:418710)   #19
emmer
Rookie

Japan
emmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it looks that tobacco ads will be forbidden at brazil gp also, but it will happen :c|
bernie can say that brazil gp keeps going on because it's the only gp in south america, but the real reason is this gp is damn lucrative for him.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 19:19 (Ref:418730)   #20
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
Stop smoking - live longer.

Stop drinking - drive safer...