Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2002, 19:44 (Ref:452874)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is MS entering the downward arc of his career?

I remember seeing Rubens beat him a couple of times this season in qualifying and the races - not the sort of thing that happens very often. But do you think MS is just sandbagging or do you think he is entering the downward arc of his racing career?. I know that he showed brilliance at Spa and Suzuka, but he isn't performing like that as much as he used to. I'm not sure. What do you think? This is really just speculation for the off season BTW. We'll probably find out the answer in 2003.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 19:56 (Ref:452879)   #2
GXH
Racer

GXH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i just think Sheuy was a bit bored of driving around at the front all the time, i dont think he always give it 100% this season, he just felt like there was no need 2 and once thats starts 2 happen it can be a very bad thing.
But im sure when other teams start winning he will bring himself back up a level. Thats why he's 5 times world Champion
Old 18 Dec 2002, 20:03 (Ref:452884)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think most of the evidence points conclusively to No!
Old 18 Dec 2002, 20:26 (Ref:452893)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Rubens has improved and Schumacher has now, finally, become as good as he can ever be. I still think, if he remains motivated as he is now, he can perform at this level, if need be, for another 3 years or more.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 20:37 (Ref:452901)   #5
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why getting fast, if managers won't let me win ?
Old 18 Dec 2002, 20:50 (Ref:452910)   #6
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Is MS entering the downward arc of his career?

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
But do you think MS is just sandbagging or do you think he is entering the downward arc of his racing career?
You might be right.

Michael is probably at his top right now, and I don't think he can win four more WDC's.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 20:59 (Ref:452916)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as Ferrari operates in the manner they do it wont really matter if MS is slipping.
What I feel happened though was RB settling in a bit more. He still was not a serious comptitor to MS this year. What I hope to see happen is them be even on points at the halfway point of the season. Will Ferrari still tell RB to step aside?
Old 18 Dec 2002, 21:33 (Ref:452939)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The F2002 being as good as it was proberbly allowed for Rubens to get abit closer to Michael in terms of qualifying, however, i did think that Michael made a few more mistakes in qualifying when he was under pressure from Rubens and especially JPM than he normally does.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 21:42 (Ref:452944)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, but isn't this just whishful thinking?? Yes. Exactly. He will retire at the top, be that in 2004 or.... eight.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 22:40 (Ref:452991)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, I believe 2002 will be remembered as the peak of his career, simply because I don't think he'll ever again have the car and the luck to finish on the podium in every race. That being said, I fully expect at least 2 more WDC's.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 01:00 (Ref:453099)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Rubens closing on Michael has more to do with the cars requiring less ability to drive. I think a good 20/22 F1 drivers and many from other series could have won the 2002 WDC in the F2002 in much the same way Michael did.

The sad thing is (or good thing if your a Shumi fan), as long as he has the best car, or close to best, Michael will win the championship forever.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 19 Dec 2002, 02:45 (Ref:453140)   #12
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't agree with 20/22, but could concede 5 or 6 drivers - after all, Rubens is no slouch behind the wheel and did as good a job with that car as most would have. It would have been a much more competitive season without MS.

I agree with MrV that the nature of the F2002 takes away some of MS's adv over RB - it appears easier to drive than the Willy or Mac. Put them in misbehaving cars and I expect the gap would stretch out again.

Thus overall, I don't think he's losing it. After winning so much perhaps motivation could be a problem, not that he has ever been short of that in the past.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 03:23 (Ref:453170)   #13
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To the thread....you have got to be kidding
Old 19 Dec 2002, 05:16 (Ref:453190)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
What a silly thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
To the thread....you have got to be kidding
Well, it made you look, you silly chook

..........and me
Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:10 (Ref:453193)   #15
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, MS is definitely entering the twilight of his career.

Next year he will get only 10 wins.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 06:42 (Ref:453197)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I'm not sure if it'a an Arc so much as an upward slope that suddenly becomes a cliff.

Drivers tend to fall far quicker than they rise. When it happens, it will be quick. But I would'nt bank on it to soon though.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:07 (Ref:453207)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
The only thing that will be quick concerning SchM will be his lap times. Anybody who thinks otherwise is just kidding themselves.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:23 (Ref:453211)   #18
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schuey can afford to decline in performance for quite a while and still be the best.

I agree also that if the car was a dog the gap would be barbaric. The mans not human.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:31 (Ref:453213)   #19
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the car was a do, it would be good to watch - this cruising around at the front putting in 8 tenths laps and playing tag with RB is boring. I want to see oversteer, understeer, unconventional lines, grab it by the scruff and throw it round the track faster than it deserves to go.

On another issue, whats a "barbaric gap"?
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:39 (Ref:453217)   #20
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless he's given a useless car, he'd still dominate and you can count on this word of mine....back to you...you sill old chook
Old 19 Dec 2002, 07:42 (Ref:453218)   #21
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTV27

On another issue, whats a "barbaric gap"?
Take a wild guess!!! :confused:
Old 19 Dec 2002, 15:43 (Ref:453543)   #22
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the arc YM was referring...
Attached Images

Old 19 Dec 2002, 16:19 (Ref:453557)   #23
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think MS may have lost a little "raw speed," but as an overall driver he's the best he'll be. That said, I don't think he's going to have a noticable lag in performance. F1 has got to be getting a bit old for him. The faux competition at the front doesn't make things interesting for him.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 17:21 (Ref:453602)   #24
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you could very reasonably argue that even if his absolute speed were fading all the other qualities that make a great racing driver are actually getting better and better. Certainly he now has an almost uncanny ability to read the race and pick the moment to attack. Add that to the ever increasing technical skills, an undiminished appetite for testing, relentless determination and awesome consistency and he's probably much more of a driver today than he was in '94/'95.

Outright speed is only a small part of what it takes to be WDC, especially in today's ultra competitive, ultra consistent climate. Mental strength and resolve are essential, which is where Montoya still has some learning to do, and indeed where the likes of DC and Ralf will prbably always be found wanting (over the course of an entire season).

This is why, in my opinion, comments like this one (below) are so naieve and far from the mark. Even in the number one car you still need the mental strength and racecraft to stay focussed. Look down the grid and try to find another driver that got virtually 100% out of his car at every race (whether that 100% was first place or tenth place, just talking about consistentcy and maximising available performance). I can't think of one.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I think a good 20/22 F1 drivers and many from other series could have won the 2002 WDC in the F2002 in much the same way Michael did.
Old 19 Dec 2002, 17:49 (Ref:453623)   #25
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Even in the number one car you still need the mental strength and racecraft to stay focussed. Look down the grid and try to find another driver that got virtually 100% out of his car at every race (whether that 100% was first place or tenth place, just talking about consistentcy and maximising available performance). I can't think of one.
I think it would be too difficult to determine who was constantly getting 100% out of their car in the lower half of the field, as I am sure a number of the cars were not as consistently good on all the circuits as Ferrari was. For all we know Webber might have maxed out the Minardi.
Agree with you about Schumacher's developing skills as an overall racer however. Raikkonen and Montoya might be just as quick or quicker but their race craft is not as fully developed as Schumacher's at the moment.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"