Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 25 Dec 2002, 22:48 (Ref:457374)   #1
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Australia Day at Oran Park

On the 25th & 26th of January, the Historic Sports & Racing Car Assn of NSW will be hosting a historic race meeting on the South circuit at Oran Park.

The weather should be hot and dry and there will be a wide variety of cars racing, including pre war vintage racers, classic sports cars of the '50s and '60s and some very quick open wheelers from the '70s and '80s. As well as my favourite, the Historic touring Cars which will feature GT Falcons, Mustangs, Minis, Cortinas, Toranas and goodness knows what else.

I hope to be there with my Torana #45, so drop in and say G'day. Also, there should be some great spectating, you can nearly see the whole track and get pretty close too.
Old 5 Jan 2003, 04:20 (Ref:464128)   #2
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why run a historic meeting on the same weekend as the GT nationals at Bathurst?
Old 5 Jan 2003, 07:32 (Ref:464221)   #3
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the historic meeting came first.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 13:31 (Ref:467267)   #4
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Australia Day historic race meeting at Oran Park is an annual event and has been going for several years.

The GT owner's clubs having a national get together on the same weekend will have little effect on the Historic race meeting.
Old 8 Jan 2003, 15:51 (Ref:467430)   #5
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe David but i would have liked to go to Oran Park & so would have a few other members of the club. Also some members also race Appendix J's oops sorry Group NC's
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:18 (Ref:468106)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Well I guess it's too late for the GT Nationals to be moved, but do they have it on the same date every year?

Unfortunately, the HSRCA, the organisers of Historic racing in NSW, are more interested in racing and sports cars than Touring Cars and oddly, they don't seem at all interested in attracting spectators.
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:18 (Ref:468107)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its was stinking hot last year!!

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
The Australia Day historic race meeting at Oran Park is an annual event and has been going for several years.

The GT owner's clubs having a national get together on the same weekend will have little effect on the Historic race meeting.
It is a diffiult date for a lot of people to attend, for a start, I believe CAMS can be slow out with Licence Renewals and this can be a PITA.

David, I will be trying to get there (if only to see the green meanie cut a swathe through the pack and challenge the leaders and not run out of fuel!).

Rock on Historics
Old 9 Jan 2003, 02:24 (Ref:468111)   #8
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Mick, unfortunately i will not be going now, getting time off work was a problem and getting my licence renewed in time would also have been a challenge. Disappointed!
Old 9 Jan 2003, 23:01 (Ref:468947)   #9
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sizzling Oran Park

Quote:
Mick, unfortunately i will not be going now, getting time off work was a problem and getting my licence renewed in time would also have been a challenge. Disappointed!
I think (but not sure) that CAMS can grant extensions or concessions if your cheque is in the mail etc.....

Sorry to hear you can't make it Dave. All the best for your 2003 season
Old 15 Jan 2003, 08:59 (Ref:474842)   #10
les walmsley
Rookie

les walmsley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David would you put a photo of your torana up and i will also and hope some other torana owners will do the same.
All the best.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 12:52 (Ref:474995)   #11
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
HSRCA.....

Quote:
Well I guess it's too late for the GT Nationals to be moved, but do they have it on the same date every year?

Unfortunately, the HSRCA, the organisers of Historic racing in NSW, are more interested in racing and sports cars than Touring Cars and oddly, they don't seem at all interested in attracting spectators.
Dave, in my experience this is not the case, HSRCA seems to embrace all their classes fairly equally. Emphasis is placed on whoever is being honoured, highlighted or featured but thats as far as it goes. Wish someone from the HSRCA would stand up and explain this better. I constantly see and hear that the Historics are the best entertainment you can have standing up. I know that a lot of the protaganists realise that they are a dying breed (sad but true) and can't compete with the V8s etc. But it just dose'nt matter to those in the know, does it? I love the fact that you can see a Cortina (hang on, make that a Mini) dive under a Galaxie only to be passsed on the straight and love the body, driver and suspension angles. Very similar to watching bikes where you read the body english and can appreciate the amount of effort being put in by the riders.

Eastern Creek is the premier event in NSW each year (why did I miss the Lotus tribute a few years ago? ) and is a sight to behold. It is the fans loss that they don't turn out!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 12:59 (Ref:475005)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Mick, I was probably a little unclear in my post, what i meant to say was that, despite the HSRCA committee working hard towards equality, many of the members, sports and racing car guys, seem a little unhappy to share the billing with the touring cars.

Also, as a regular at the enormously popular Qld historic meetings, where crowd numbers far exceed everything but the V8 Supercar championship, it's easy to notice the rather small crowd that turns out for HSRCA meetings. I believe this is purely and simply down to a lack of promotion, people won't go to a race meeting if they don't know it's on, regardless of how good it is.
Old 15 Jan 2003, 13:10 (Ref:475015)   #13
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agreed, and having helped out a bit with the promotion up here, it seems people really want to embrace the Historic movement, probably on the basis that it is different.

I agree with your fist para too, every time in the Oily Rag, the non-tin top, non-group S folk seem to want to have real historic meetings, without all of the interuption etc that the newcomers bring along with them..
Old 15 Jan 2003, 13:20 (Ref:475028)   #14
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
They've updated the oily rag!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Agreed, and having helped out a bit with the promotion up here, it seems people really want to embrace the Historic movement, probably on the basis that it is different.

I agree with your fist para too, every time in the Oily Rag, the non-tin top, non-group S folk seem to want to have real historic meetings, without all of the interuption etc that the newcomers bring along with them..
No one can say that their website is all that dynamic!!

OK, have to agree, promotion not good - but I don't really mind as I was there in the halcyon days with massive crowds and I appreciate the room these days!!

Fully intend to come up and check out you Bananabenders some time - you have been warned!!
Old 15 Jan 2003, 13:34 (Ref:475036)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh gawd, I'll got and find the battens for the hatches

Actually good point.

I remember at the Bathurst ST race in 98, you could rock up anywhere and get a spot on the fence, and at the podium, there was a single drunk, who kept yelling out "Don't crowd me, don't crowd me!"
Old 15 Jan 2003, 13:45 (Ref:475042)   #16
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
98!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Crash Test
Oh gawd, I'll got and find the battens for the hatches

Actually good point.

I remember at the Bathurst ST race in 98, you could rock up anywhere and get a spot on the fence, and at the podium, there was a single drunk, who kept yelling out "Don't crowd me, don't crowd me!"
Crash I meant the damn 1960s lad!! I was there spectating when Oran Park opened !! Goodnite, I need my beauty sleep
Old 16 Jan 2003, 08:15 (Ref:475966)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Mick, what classes are you keenest on, we'll get you their dates for Qld this year.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:44 (Ref:477768)   #18
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
QLD Historics

Quote:
Mick, what classes are you keenest on, we'll get you their dates for Qld this year.
David, thanks for the offer, I like the whole Historic ball of wax, however, I suppose evryone must have a soft spot for the Appendix Js!! They sparked great interest in their time anb still do(as people could more closey relate them to their road cars!).

I have the HRCC website as well, its just a mater of nutting out when I might fit it in (if I go to the F1 Dentist Drill thing at Albert Park this year that may use up a mega amount of brownie points as well

Did you check out what I wrote on Sandown Hysterics? that gave a fairly good indication of my likes...Cheers
Old 19 Jan 2003, 12:55 (Ref:478958)   #19
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Where did you write it Mick, I'll go and have a look.