Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:14 (Ref:459768)   #1
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
What's everybody waiting for?

The N/Haas website hasn't been updated since the end of the season. Not a word about Bruno or next year's plans.

Mo Nunn's site lists the "next race" for IRL, but for CART, it says "Check back later."

The Herdez site gives no info regarding 2003, either.

Nor does Rocketsports. In fact, they don't even mention CART.

The Dale Coyne site is still talking about the driver that they wanted to campaign at the beginning of last season! No updates there in 18 months!

Ganassi's site, as expected, doesn't mention CART.

At Players/Forsythe, all of their news is already out in the open. But they discuss the N/Haas plans more than the N/Haas site does!

The bookmark I just saved a few weeks ago for Walker Racing can't even be found right now!

At least Pat Patrick's website discusses next year's plans.
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:27 (Ref:459777)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think I only care for Patrick's site!

Now seriously... this year, all of the waiting and rumoring in a normal silly season has been multiplied by 200 this year, so... I guess everything will be done in the last minute....
Old 29 Dec 2002, 22:30 (Ref:459779)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
It's the lack of info at N/Haas that bothers me...
Old 30 Dec 2002, 00:39 (Ref:459856)   #4
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea on when they updated their sites coming into this 2002 season? I don't have any idea but I think (and hope) we are just all a little too sensative this year with all that's been going on.

There is probably something to the thought that everybody is still getting all of their ducks in a row with both primary and secondary sponsor's etc and most of the websites will need major revamping this year i.e. the addition of the new series logo, who your drivers are for sure, car color schemes ... Why rebuild your website more than once?

Macdaddy, as much as the silence is making me crazy too, I think Haas is still at the CART bargaining table and he is one shrewd guy (as well as current series champ). It doesn't make good negotiating sense for him to say "All is well, I'm running a few cars, my drivers are lined up and can't wait to start, testing starts next week 'cause we got a special deal from Ford to get our engines early." In the alternative I'll bet he makes a daily "woe is me" call to Pook.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. Its coming together, slow but sure!
Old 30 Dec 2002, 00:48 (Ref:459863)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Newman'll have Bruno in CART one way or another.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 01:57 (Ref:459882)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newman-Haas will be running two cars in Champcar next year - make no mistake. Why would they bother testing several drivers. Bruno is in there too definantly.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 02:48 (Ref:459897)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good point! It doesn't make sense to test road racers on a road course if your going to the IRL.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Dec 2002, 07:22 (Ref:459943)   #8
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But haven't we established that those who were testing paid for the honour?

I thought we were told that we were going to bombarded with good news in Mexico, then it was put off until the presentation evening, then before Christmas, and then in the new year... the season starts in February! A few weeks is hardly good preparation for a full season of racing... I hope they all pull their fingers out and start announcing things...
Old 30 Dec 2002, 12:33 (Ref:460049)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi, Arrows and Prost launched four days before the start of the 2001 Formula One season...
Old 30 Dec 2002, 12:58 (Ref:460060)   #10
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and where are they now :P
Old 30 Dec 2002, 13:24 (Ref:460076)   #11
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Flatspot, think you've got it as far as N-H is concerned. Above anything else, N-H will go where the dollars are and Haas is going to get the best Pookfare deal in CART or not run, all the hocus-pocus vagaries on cart.com notwithstanding. He tested road racing drivers on a road course at Sebring. He also tested them with Toyota engines and Lisles praised Toyota's "cooperation."

Of more concern to me than one team is the schedule. Is there a European swing? What about Chicago? Portland is a "go" on Promoter Pookfare but what about Laguna, Elkhart and Mid-Ohio? Is the messy date switch that puts Mid-Ohio back on the IRL's Kentucky date 150 miles away etched in granite?

St. Petersburg's website, www.gpstpete.com, has a featured photo of the Pioneer Denso Toyota on its home page, calls the series the "CART Championship Series" and the "Fedex Championship Series," shows no event sponsor, has issued two news releases since Nov. 12 on the event and those involved Barber Dodge and Trans-Am going on the card and lists things like directions to the race track as "TBA."

And what about television?

There're a lot of things besides 18 cars on the grid out there that fall into the category of "we don't know what we don't know."
Old 30 Dec 2002, 15:38 (Ref:460180)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
and where are they now :P
Prost and Arrows have collpased. Although Minardi are doing well, they have Justin Wilson their books, hes a very good driver, and perhaps Verstappen. Now Verstappen is also a good driver ok hes not a star but he is good.

Look at the potential driver line up compared to the 2002 season. Webber is good but Yoong well, he was rubbish lets be honest.

Next season Minardi will have 1 Very good but inexperinced driver and 1 Experinced good driver. Spot the differnce.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 15:42 (Ref:460185)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by SALEEN S7R

Next season Minardi will have 1 Very good but inexperinced driver and 1 Experinced good driver. Spot the differnce.

But that means I'll have to wake up......
Old 30 Dec 2002, 16:44 (Ref:460239)   #14
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I wouldn't get too worked up about a lack of updates on websites. For one it is the holiday season, and many people take much of the month of December at a leisure pace, including web designers. There are many teams that are quite surely going to be racing in 03' in many different series, that similarily have not yet updated to 03' on their sites.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 18:48 (Ref:460324)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not too concerned about the website updates, lots of people/companies do not regard their websites of great importance.

I am getting concerned about the lack of the "big" announcements. We've gotten announcements on rookies and new teams, but where are the announcements from bigger, heavily financed teams? I'm hoping that a lot of it is being delayed until after the new year since this seems to be when all the contracts start/end.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:26 (Ref:460344)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most of the bigger, heavily financed teams have announced their plans already, Fernandez are in with just Adrian, Newman-Haas appear to be, Rahal look set ofr 1 CART and 1 IRL (which, in my mind, makes Bobby a liar and hypocrite, considering how devoted he said he was to CART (about as devoted as he was to his family when Danika came on the scene....)), Patrick are looking for funding for a second car, Walker will have 2 pay drivers, and Ganassi, Nunn and Andretti-Green have upped sticks. Sadly the Emmo and Mario team ideas haven't been mentioned lately and are probably dead in the water.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:30 (Ref:460348)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I'm looking forward to information overload come Jan. 1-2.
If not, I fear I might need to be committed!

When does testing begin? The dam's gotta burst before then.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:28 (Ref:461058)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think most of the drivers are at home for the holidays and they want to make the announcements with everyone present. (I know certain Brazilians are at home anyway.)

Remember that Jourdain was announced the day before the season started and he was one of the biggest surprises of the year. Brack was announced early and was a DUD.

But I too am anxious to get things settled for the year and I wish they'd just start coming out with it all!
Old 31 Dec 2002, 16:47 (Ref:461065)   #19
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pollock buys a CART team? Our spies in the United States of America say that Craig Pollock has purchased the assets of Bruce McCaw's PWR Championship Racing and has plans to revive the operation in CART in 2003.

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 31 Dec 2002 at 16:48.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 17:15 (Ref:461071)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
There it is! It is now official! Everyone has now been rumored to have bought PWR's assets. Alas, the real truth is that I have purchased same - everything is safely in storage in my hall closet. (If those darn Lola's snag my winter coat...) I am only waiting to make an official announcement when my partners (Lauda, Emmo, Jv and Nige - not to drop any names) are back from the holidays at a resort in Lower Slobovia. Really.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 17:19 (Ref:461074)   #21
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wRoNg AgAiN, whiner

Last edited by ¡As-de-mim!; 31 Dec 2002 at 17:24.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 17:32 (Ref:461081)   #22
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Hey! Just trying to inject a little levity! I am really good at whining though, and if you would like I would be happy to do that as well.

My point with the post is that there have been numerous rumors surrounding the purchase of PWR. This has been covered in previous threads and I believe it has been established who actually bought the assets - Pollock is yet another in a long line of potential buyers.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.