Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Jan 2003, 12:06 (Ref:465250)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sign the "Get Memo a Ride" Petition!!!

Sign it and help get Memo a ride! This will be delivered to CART on Thursday, so you have until Wednesday to sign it!

http://www.petitiononline.com/jakeindy/petition.html
Old 6 Jan 2003, 12:41 (Ref:465277)   #2
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think someone should start a "Help Memo Gidley Get A Life" petition. Yes, Moreno has been at this a lot longer, but he at least had some standout drives in significant teams and series by the time he was Memo's age. If anyone thought Memo had any talent worth supporting, he would have had a significant drive by now.

My opinion only -- Sorry, Memo, but you need to think of another career.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 12:43 (Ref:465278)   #3
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 15:01 (Ref:465354)   #4
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
okay, i´ll sign it too
Old 6 Jan 2003, 16:33 (Ref:465422)   #5
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sign the "Help Liz Get an Opinion" Petition.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 17:25 (Ref:465468)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I did say it's only my opinion -- and after all, Alain Prost's grandmother was still advising him to quit playing about and buy a garage if he wanted to do stuff with cars, after he'd won two WDCs!
Old 6 Jan 2003, 18:59 (Ref:465583)   #7
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signed!
Old 6 Jan 2003, 19:11 (Ref:465602)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've signed it, I'm not a major advocate of CART being for American drivers, but it does need some talented, experienced guys who are there on merit. The American audience will see guys like Lavin and Camathias on the grid, and know that they will be backmarkers. Memo would be ideal to lead the American Spirit squad if Jimmy isn't interested, and I believe he would be a candidate for a seocnd Patrick entry.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 19:28 (Ref:465628)   #9
Minardi4eva
Rookie

Minardi4eva should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo??? oivey....

But he did have a great half season in 2001,maybe well see him in the PWR team.That is...IF THEY CAN FIND THE COUCH CHANGE TO MAKE 1 RACE
Old 6 Jan 2003, 21:43 (Ref:465753)   #10
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Done. 517 when I signed it.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 22:05 (Ref:465761)   #11
El_Gibleto
Veteran

El_Gibleto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Memo has the ability both in and out of a car to help cart regain its rightful place as the top series in the USA, having watched the series in both the USA and England,I think he probably has the biggest following amonst the "normal" paying race fan.

Cart needs Memo to help it regain its share of the US market.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 22:46 (Ref:465793)   #12
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 6 Jan 2003, 22:58 (Ref:465802)   #13
El_Gibleto
Veteran

I've just looked at the "signiture" list on the petition, Memo has support from all over the world, surely some team &/or sponsor can realise the marketing potential of having Memo in a car, not forgetting the guy can drive. In 2001 depsite having no testing whatsover and missing 1/3 of the season he was in the top 5 drivers for laps lead and had a significantly higher points per start than Junquera.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 23:01 (Ref:465804)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
signed
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 6 Jan 2003, 23:51 (Ref:465847)   #15
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Liz here...

Memo had a great chance to show his stuff, and blew it completely... To be honest, I haven't seen anything from him that would even hint at him deserving a ride. And I dont know why Cart needs Memo any more than they do Ryan Hunter-Reay or Jon Fogarty...I bet there names are about as well known.

That said, he is a nice guy, great with the fans and media (hence the petition, etc), but I'm afraid you need a little more to get a ride... in this day and age that is in the form of sponsorship! So, if there are any sponsors out there that want to throw the money down for him to have a ride, great! Let's see it! (just don't expect wins...)
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 7 Jan 2003, 00:56 (Ref:465875)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In a field where the majority will have a claim at the Rookie of the Year trophy, and lacking seasoned veterans, I'd say he would be a big chance

BTW- what is Minassien (sp) doing these days?
Old 7 Jan 2003, 01:12 (Ref:465879)   #17
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I last heard he's racing ASCAR in Europe.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 03:32 (Ref:465933)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be nice to see Memo have another chance, but I'd like to see the guys Jay has suggested have a chance first. I'd much sooner sign a Lotterer petition too.

How's Minassien doing in ASCAR? (Are you suppose to say that like it rymes with Nascar? )

EDIT: Never mind, I looked it up and Minassien was the 2002 champ.

Last edited by Snrub; 7 Jan 2003 at 03:35.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 04:45 (Ref:465958)   #19
Liz
Veteran

I believe he has had some success in sports cars also, as well as a championship previous to being picked up and dropped by the entity formerly known as Target Chip Ganassi, in favour of the first available substitute who was also promptly discarded in favour of a very expensive failure -- who has BEEN DROPPED.

Is there a pattern here?

Anyway I think there are a lot of younger guns looking for rides who would pay for training far more than the aging and so far 100% unemployed Memo Gidley (has he ever had a full time ride with anybody?)
Old 7 Jan 2003, 04:55 (Ref:465964)   #20
El_Gibleto
Veteran

For the record, the Target Ganassi team would have kept Memo after the 2001 season, the publicly admitted he was the better driver, but Chip Ganassi was comitted to paying Junquera his full salery if he was to be released. Sadly, therefore the decision to retain Junquera was made 100% totally for financial reasons, in the situation that existed driving ability was unimportant.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 16:21 (Ref:466411)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thing is, Bruno was pretty pathetic in '01 as well, then really came alive last year when the Lola-Toyota package finally got good. I'm not signing the petition, but I'm not going to pass judgement on Memo yet either.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 21:53 (Ref:466718)   #22
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ditto. But I think he could prove pretty handy in a field of low-experience competitors. Time will tell though.
Old 7 Jan 2003, 22:39 (Ref:466784)   #23
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
The thing is, Bruno was pretty pathetic in '01 as well, then really came alive last year when the Lola-Toyota package finally got good. I'm not signing the petition, but I'm not going to pass judgement on Memo yet either.
In the case of Bruno, it was more likely the case of coming alive when he'd got a year of experience under his belt.

Honestly, if Memo stacked up so well against Bruno, who only stayed with Chip for political reasons, then what does that say for Kenny Brack and Scott Dixon?
Old 7 Jan 2003, 23:16 (Ref:466812)   #24
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by El_Gibleto
Memo has the ability both in and out of a car to help cart regain its rightful place as the top series in the USA, having watched the series in both the USA and England,I think he probably has the biggest following amonst the "normal" paying race fan.

Cart needs Memo to help it regain its share of the US market.
I'll second this opinion.

Done and signed #693

By the way, Nicholas Minassian has been busy being 'The Stig' in Top Gear - see relevant forum: The Gravel Trap!

Quote:
"We've had 5 races so far this year: Brazil, Argentina, Imola, Schumacher and Monaco" - Murray Walker
Old 8 Jan 2003, 04:45 (Ref:467014)   #25
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Signed! You guys are acting like you are being asked to raise your taxes! Get *******' lives!