Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Jan 2003, 20:59 (Ref:487689)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
EJ13 - how low can they go?

Just an observation, but how low is the new Jordan car?

That looks like one seriously aerodynamic car.

You can always tell how low a car is, by looking at a side on view, and looking at how much the tyres stick out above the bodywork.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:19 (Ref:487706)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The low sides could make it have less drag. Maybe. It might also enable the wings to work better. We'll see.

Of course, it's the whole package, but it does look good.

Last edited by Adam43; 27 Jan 2003 at 21:25.
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:31 (Ref:487718)   #3
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and of course: it lowers the center of gravity!
Old 27 Jan 2003, 21:36 (Ref:487724)   #4
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Certainly looks very neat and slick - and low, as was commented at the time of the first pictures. Mind you, black is a very "slimming" colour. I hope they have time to develop it properly though - Jordan always do a nice car but rarely seem to fully unlock its potential.
Old 28 Jan 2003, 00:05 (Ref:487845)   #5
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its really to bad they won't keep that black scheme it would be very nice and different as it is now without the sponsor logos. Lets hope they have a great season
Old 28 Jan 2003, 00:08 (Ref:487848)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Who designed this years Jordan?
Old 29 Jan 2003, 20:19 (Ref:489825)   #7
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the point of running the black car? Wouldn't it be better for the current team sponsors to have their logos on the car. I understand that the livery is kept secret until the launch, but I think they should come up with something for up until the official car launch.
Old 29 Jan 2003, 21:03 (Ref:489869)   #8
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The idea is that when they do launch with the new livery there will be extra media interest and hence maximum exposure for the sponsors.

And the EJ13 was penned by Henri Durand and Gary Anderson. A joint effort, and hopefully a good one!
Old 30 Jan 2003, 00:17 (Ref:490045)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,let's hope they iron out each others serious shortcommings!!
They're backs are against the wall,i'm sure they'll do well
Old 30 Jan 2003, 00:39 (Ref:490064)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mirwin
What's the point of running the black car?
Proberbly following Ferrari's example, they quite often test in black carbon livery before an official launch.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 01:17 (Ref:490078)   #11
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It creates an air of mystery about the whole thing, like Jordan are building up to something
Old 30 Jan 2003, 01:23 (Ref:490085)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They didn't have the underboard plank on the car at that time, that's why they were able to lower the ride height as low as possible....with the plank in place, no car would be that low in competition as it won't last a race distant except for qualifying.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:23 (Ref:490301)   #13
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you saying that they are running illegally? Where is the proof coming from?

I think when the question was asked, it was not referring to ride-height??

Last edited by av8rirl; 30 Jan 2003 at 09:24.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:25 (Ref:490303)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
It's only during the shakedown....from the first pictures we all saw, that is not considered as testing
Old 30 Jan 2003, 09:52 (Ref:490332)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
They didn't have the underboard plank on the car at that time, that's why they were able to lower the ride height as low as possible....with the plank in place, no car would be that low in competition as it won't last a race distant except for qualifying.
Where did that information come from? Are you saying that they are doing a Prost - running out of race spec to attract sponsors? If not that, then what would be the point in running the car in a configuration that prevented the gathering of useful information? Although low-looking, I don't think it looks any lower than the F2002.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 11:26 (Ref:490424)   #16
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I predict Jordan to have one of their worst seasons in F1 next year. 1. They are in such serious budget problems that they had to be bailed out by Bernie 2. They are looking for a pay driver (denied Irvine even though he was willing to drive for free - only highlighting their budget problems) 3. Lost Honda and will be running a year old Cosworth. 4) These testing times are clearly manufactured to entice sponsers. We've see this before folks.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 11:32 (Ref:490431)   #17
Glen
Veteran

Biggest problem for Jordan is the opposition stepping up the game relentlessly.

Especialy BAR - proper restructuring, proper engine partner with yet more "New Year's resolutions", great driver pair and decent car design team.

Then you've got Jaguar who, although still in pieces structure-wise, will be very reluctant to let either of their engine customers do well.

Toyota coud well leap-frog both of those two.

Which leaves Jordan fighting with Minardi for the odd point.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 11:47 (Ref:490456)   #18
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Lets not right them off just yet. Wait until the OFFICIAL announcements have been made. We are still listening to rumours and speculation.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, EJ is the magician of F1. If anyone has a trick up his sleeve or can pull a rabbit out of his hat, its EJ.

The car may just be a cracker. The main problem that I see is Jag throwing a spanner in the works if Jordan are doing better than them. Can this happen? Would Ford allow it? Time will tell... Roll on AUS.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 11:55 (Ref:490463)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I agree. Having said that, if it's Fords name on the Jordan as opposed to Jaguars on the other team, it wouldn't look good for Ford to deliberately spoil their own marketing.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 12:01 (Ref:490470)   #20
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
Whats that saying about "cutting off your nose to spite your face"? We'll have to wait and see. Just hope it doesn't turn out like Arrows.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 19:55 (Ref:490943)   #21
bosch!
Veteran

New Zealand-Maori
GodZone
bosch! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Jordan are running EJ13 without the plank none of the data collected will be of any use for the coming season as the areo performance (for one thing) will be completely different, so i seriously doubt that.

The point about bernies bail out is that the teams were BAILED OUT! Now if Jordan did get £10 from bernie and £2.5 - £3m for massa they would only need £7m ish from a title sponsor in order to have the same budget as last year. Jordan have good engineers (they beat Jag and BAR last year on 50% of the budget) they may have produced a good car though only time will tell.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 20:43 (Ref:491000)   #22
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
The car doesn't look low because of no plank being there, and even if there were no plank, it wouldn't make the car look that much lower.

No, this car is one of the lowest since 1992 in my opinion, lower than Ferrari's last year.
Old 30 Jan 2003, 22:46 (Ref:491108)   #23
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember when Jordan had the reputation for being VERY strong on the fast tracks? Mainly in 97. They had a powerful engine, if a little overweight and an aerodynamically efficient car in a straight line.

Maybe the EJ-13 will show a return to this form. Arrows did it the year before last. I would expect Jordan to have the straight line speed this year, but will they have the downforce?
Old 31 Jan 2003, 00:38 (Ref:491193)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
I seem to remember Jordan going well at Silverstone in 1997.
Old 31 Jan 2003, 01:24 (Ref:491239)   #25
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
Where did that information come from? Are you saying that they are doing a Prost - running out of race spec to attract sponsors? If not that, then what would be the point in running the car in a configuration that prevented the gathering of useful information? Although low-looking, I don't think it looks any lower than the F2002.
Did i ever say that they were going to run the car without the plank ?????????????????????????

It's a shakedown remember! There's a huge difference between shakedown and testing. For testing, definitely they'll include the plank. Go and take a closer look at the car underneath from the very first pictures released, then you'll see what i'm talking about.

I agree with you Glen, the car looked ordinary and there's nothing low about it. Looked low because of the ride height without the plank in place.