Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 31 Mar 2003, 19:06 (Ref:554089)   #1
Horsebox
Rookie

Horsebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irish Tarmac Championship

With Andrew Nesbitt not sure of his plans for this year, the odds on this years championship have really been blown open. McGairity and Boland will launch full assaults and Ian Greer returns in the Corolla WRC. I myself feel that after a few lean yrs, the never say die McHale will hav a Renasance. Anyone got views on it?
Old 31 Mar 2003, 22:46 (Ref:554309)   #2
Alpina
Veteran

Alpina should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Boland always seems to have nice cars but never really got up there. McGarrity has talent but has he the machinery? as for McHale' what car has he got?
Old 1 Apr 2003, 19:33 (Ref:555199)   #3
Horsebox
Rookie

Boland lives only ten miles from me and i can honestly say that although he is getting better, he still has a bit to go. Derek, like boland has a S8 Impreza and both intend to contest the championship. As for McHale, after 11 years of Toyota, he's turned to Subaru aswell. It's a longer wheelbase than the Corolla so it will suit him. Both Boland and McHale intend to upgrade to an S9 by mid-season i think. In my opinion, the Subaru had far superior acceleration than the corolla, thats why he struggeled.
Eugene Donnelly and Peader Hurson will both be quick in 2000 spec Subarus. Its a pity that in Scotland you don't see the drivers of Irelands modified class cars, some of the best around! Great entertainers!
Old 2 Apr 2003, 10:47 (Ref:555717)   #4
Alpina
Veteran

I have been to Ireland and seen some of the above although not often enough! A few of them come over to Scotland now and again. I think the Jim Clark is very similar to Ulster type rallies.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 09:28 (Ref:561256)   #5
Horsebox
Rookie

If you ever get the chance go to the rally of the lakes, the best rally in the country and should become a round of the world rally c'ship in the near future. McHale just won a round of the national c'ship as a shakedown for the Circut of Ireland. I guess it is alrite and i'm glad that the round is in our c'ship cause it's a great rally and it provides a level playing field.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 23:44 (Ref:563413)   #6
Alpina
Veteran

I marshalled on the Killarney historic a few years ago and I think it uses the same stages: Moll's gap, Healey pass etc. So I know some of the roads. superb!!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 11:31 (Ref:563808)   #7
Horsebox
Rookie

Yeah there the ones alrite, the best tarmac roads around. Nesbitt has entered the circut of Ireland, once again he is seeded at no. 7. McHale McGairity and Boland are 1,2,3. Historic lakes, top rally, great craic!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 22:43 (Ref:564602)   #8
Alpina
Veteran

Oh yes the craic! I bought two drinks the three nights I was there and I was drunk all three.
It was was an eyeopener and teethbreaker. To explain just how bumpy those roads are I was driving at 40mph on Molls Gap and several times I was nearly bounced off the road. there are no simple bumps in the Republic just compound bumps.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:44 (Ref:565042)   #9
Horsebox
Rookie

That sounds like the lakes on both accounts alrite. The Gap has got a bit bumpier over the last few years but the likes of them stages you cannot create. I think it is the greatest tribute to Bertie Fisher that he averaged 63mph on that stage when he set a time of 9min 59secs in 1996. That was some goin.
Apart from the Jim Clark, what other tarmac rallies are run in Scotland?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 20:52 (Ref:565541)   #10
Alpina
Veteran

Tour of Mull is the other big one but there are a few multi-use venues. Otterburn is on the Ministry of defence roads on the Scottish-English Border and Milltown actually uses a RAF airfield. Was cancelled this year!