Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 9 Apr 2003, 12:31 (Ref:563888)   #1
andrewmizzi
Rookie

andrewmizzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do I need to know; Fire Marshal

Hi guys.

Wondering what I need to know about fire marshalling?

I'm part of a club now, but I want to know anything relevant to my job. Of course I'll get the experience from on the job, but I want to know as much as I can.

My first official event is a National C'Ship so I want to be prepared.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:01 (Ref:563930)   #2
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloody hell,
It's not like that in this country is it? I have been racing since 1970 thinking you guys and girls were all trained up
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:04 (Ref:563935)   #3
andrewmizzi
Rookie

I should probably say I'm a trainee (since my signature doesn't do it that well...)
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:08 (Ref:563941)   #4
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Bob, if people join during the year then we train them on the banks - we do not have the manpower or financial resources to run regular training courses. However, trainees are looked after and supervised.

andrew - are you a fire specific marshal or a course marshal with fire duties?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:10 (Ref:563943)   #5
andrewmizzi
Rookie

Fire specific.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:12 (Ref:563952)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ok - well I think rule number one is

Marshals are not fireproof!

We may be vaguely fire retardant, but definitely not fireproof. Have you been supplied with a list of PPE you need to have? Requirements do vary from country to country.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:563955)   #7
andrewmizzi
Rookie

PPE?
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:15 (Ref:563959)   #8
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Personal Protective Equipment - overalls, gloves, boots, etc.
Old 9 Apr 2003, 13:17 (Ref:563965)   #9
andrewmizzi
Rookie

Yep. They have their own uniform but don't give it out until you're a full member (6 months probationary) which is fair enough, keeps a high standard of professionalism.

At the moment its just blue overalls, steel-capped boots and riggers gloves (which I thankfully already had).
Old 9 Apr 2003, 22:22 (Ref:564576)   #10
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
remember the fire triangle, petrol, wood & matches

also, if its a small fire, wait 5 minutes till you have a big fire, makes for a better story in the bar. dont trip over with the fire extinguisher especially when on television, pull the pin b4 you get there, put pin in pocket in case you dont use it. dont squirt up wind.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 07:33 (Ref:564811)   #11
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Q: What steps do you take when dealing with a fire?

A: Bloody great big ones in the opposite direction.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:18 (Ref:565003)   #12
QuickBrownFox
Racer

United Kingdom
Hailsham, East Sussex
QuickBrownFox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And don't forget to put out your cigarette before arriving at the scene of the fire (if you can still afford to smoke cigarettes post-Budget).

Last edited by QuickBrownFox; 10 Apr 2003 at 12:19.
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:24 (Ref:565010)   #13
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally posted by QuickBrownFox
And don't forget to put out your cigarette before arriving at the scene of the fire (if you can still afford to smoke cigarettes post-Budget).
What for - it's already burning...like it's going to get even more lit....?
Old 10 Apr 2003, 12:25 (Ref:565012)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The best piece of advice I was given is that if there is a fire, it's very important to get there very quickly ... otherwise someone else will get to put it out.

Seriously, the important thing is not to get too close. Most beginners rush in, fire powder in all directions, and generally look exciting, but ineffective. Fire extinguishers work from a reasonable distance away, and if you're feeling the heat, you're too close. Short bursts are the most effective. Squirt, look, move and repeat. If you are too far away, you can move in. Moving out is more difficult.

The triangle of fire is imprortant(interesting variation, sss) heat, fuel, oxygen. Remove one, the fire goes out.

Finally, don't wear anything that will melt if you get too much heat - plastic trainers, polyester socks or nylon underwear can all have interesting shrink-wrap tendencies!
Old 10 Apr 2003, 13:28 (Ref:565088)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
dont trip over with the fire extinguisher
Now who is it I've seen do that?

Ah, now I remember.....KayBee!!!!!!

Lucky she didn't fall on the bottle......could have flattened it!