Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 29 Apr 2003, 18:37 (Ref:584126)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Motor Sport (and other Mags)

I know we've had magazine threads before, but as a co-mod here, I thought I'd start another one to enliven things for those who have no interest in racing sims! (Obviously that doesn't include me!).

I've been a subscriber to Autosport for the best part of 20 years, but I've recently been seriously considering cancelling my subscription. It seems to me that Autosport has become dominated by F1 (and a certain German gentleman and Italian marque in particular), much more so than was the case in previous years. And bearing in mind the way in which my interest in F1 has waned since 1994 (although the start of this season has just about kept me interested), I've been looking for pastures new.

So what should I subscribe to? (Mayfair and Penthouse are not options, I should add )

I bought the recent issue of Motor Sport with the superb freebie video and this morning I bought the last issue to read on the train on my way up to the smoke. It really is a great read. The article on Vanwall especially was brilliant - and the photography....... superb.

So, should I cancel Autosport and take Motor Sport instead - or what should I do, people?
Old 29 Apr 2003, 18:52 (Ref:584142)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only get Autosprout for the Le Mans feature and results issues. Plus maybe any special season preview editions if I see them. It is far too expensive for an all but F1 only mag. Most of it stays unread.

Motorsport has been my buy of choice every month, the photo's are excellant, the features normally accurate and interesting and often include some gems from the past, maybe recently uncovered secrets.

Go for Motor Sport.

Simon
Old 29 Apr 2003, 19:43 (Ref:584183)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, if you prefer the "golden ages" of racing then Motor Sport is the one to gor for. I have a subcripion to it its a great mag.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 19:57 (Ref:584201)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I always get Autosport on Thrusday and more than likly always will. But I do tend to nip into WH Smiths and read Motorsport News on Saturday, its OK.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:19 (Ref:584248)   #5
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I buy Autosport and F1 Racing if I'm going on a long journey (and not driving, obviously)

Autosport is best for the F1 race reports and finding out what actually happened when you went to a club meet.

Personally, though, I'd much prefer to read a nice old car magazine - Car, Auto Express, etc, etc - and they still have a spot of motorsport news in there somewhere.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:27 (Ref:584264)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also do buy RallyXS too, it is also a good read. What we are lacking IMO is a good Sportscar Racing Mag.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:32 (Ref:584275)   #7
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
But sportscars are lacking in overall coverage - you hardly get to see them, hence there's no market for a glossy monthly covering the races and the drivers.
Old 29 Apr 2003, 20:44 (Ref:584302)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Subscribe to Motorsport. haven't bought one for ages, and haven't got a subscription, but i can't think of any excuse not to...
Old 29 Apr 2003, 21:22 (Ref:584345)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
But sportscars are lacking in overall coverage - you hardly get to see them, hence there's no market for a glossy monthly covering the races and the drivers.
Ture, but up till 12 months ago, u didn't a have a glossy rallying mag either, well apart from Rally Sport, which has not been published for about 4 or 5 years now and the only reason RallyXS has taken off is because of the increased coverage the WRC is getting.

I would also like to see some sort of touring car mag too, now there is plenty of interested in that.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 07:12 (Ref:584616)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was a "glossy" sports car mag though wasn't there - published by the Autosport people - quarterly though, I think? I actually received it free for a whole year - I don't know why, apart from the fact that I'm an Autosport subscriber. It was a good high-class mag - I guess there just wasn't a viable market for it?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 09:36 (Ref:584722)   #11
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I got a subscription to Motorsport for Xmas and I am really enjoying it. Great features, stunning photography; and I also spend hours drooling over the cars for sale at the back. Get a subscription Ayse, you won't regret it.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 10:43 (Ref:584811)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 Racing & Motorsport are the two best to get I think, if you're in the UK. Here in Australia, Motorsport is very dear, so F1 Racing, Motor Racing Australia and maybe Motorsport News would be the best combination
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:06 (Ref:584911)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Hmm...I do spend more time than is necessary looking through the 'drives available' section in Autosport for a "novice driver sought for salaried Le Mans drive, success guaranteed, no experience required"
Old 30 Apr 2003, 12:15 (Ref:584926)   #14
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
InGear is a good mag for clubby/national stuff, although I'd prefer less rallying and trail events.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 13:30 (Ref:585020)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 Racing has turned into nothing but a TGF glorification magazine, therefore I no longer buy it.

I sometimes buy Autosport and MotorSport, but they are hard to find and very expensive down here in Oz.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 13:52 (Ref:585060)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
F1 Racing has turned into nothing but a TGF glorification magazine, therefore I no longer buy it.

I sometimes buy Autosport and MotorSport, but they are hard to find and very expensive down here in Oz.
Agreed. I've got a subscription to F1 Racing, but it is getting abit tedious. I always check out Autosport (weekly) and Motorsport (monthly), but as you say they are around $10, so i only get them if they are good one's. If not i just read them in the newsagent.

I usually get Motor Racing Australia, but lately that has been seeming to become very V8Supercar, concentrating mostly on that rather than concentrating on the older Australian motorsport (which attracted me to it in the first place) which means my interest in it starts to wane.

Last edited by racer69; 30 Apr 2003 at 13:55.
Old 30 Apr 2003, 15:46 (Ref:585219)   #17
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bleh ... i miss lemans and sports car racing
Old 15 May 2003, 10:06 (Ref:599553)   #18
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just picked up a new magazine, issue 1 out today, called OCTANE. Cost £3.50 and features a blue Ferrari 250GTO on the front cover.

It has features on Le Mans Legends, Derek Bell's view of the LM Bentley's, a track day with a £7m Ferrari 250GTO v A £1m Bizzarrini (Iso Grifo)A3/C.

The web site does not seem to be up yet but keep a check on www.octane-magazine.com

Simon
Old 15 May 2003, 12:41 (Ref:599681)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But octane's such a shoddy name...
Old 15 May 2003, 13:17 (Ref:599713)   #20
Alx
Racer

United Kingdom
The World Where I Live
Alx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I also do buy RallyXS too, it is also a good read. What we are lacking IMO is a good Sportscar Racing Mag.
Whatever happened to Le Mans Series and Sportscar Racer, I used to like that, bought it occassionally, but haven't seen anything of it for ages???

:confused:
Old 15 May 2003, 14:21 (Ref:599753)   #21
iucrmh
Racer

iucrmh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Alx
Whatever happened to Le Mans Series and Sportscar Racer, I used to like that, bought it occassionally, but haven't seen anything of it for ages???
I'm afraid it went to the wall. There just weren't enough sales I guess. There is a French language equivalent though "Le Mans Racing" which is pretty good.
(http://www.lemans-racing.com)

Incidently, the June issue of MotorSport has features on French Le Mans winners, including the Lorraine-Dietrich, Alpine Renault and Peugeot 905.

Cheers, Mike
Old 15 May 2003, 15:08 (Ref:599800)   #22
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoroughbred and Classics Cars and Classic and Sportscar are the two best English language magazines on old cars...
Old 16 May 2003, 21:06 (Ref:601363)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Racecar Engineering is also a very good magasine.
Old 17 May 2003, 00:15 (Ref:601504)   #24
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Fair comment, for me it was best in 1999-2000. I still buy it, but I'm pretty annoyed at every issue having Mr Schumacher on the front with a topic like 'the best ever' or 'the greatest' or something...I also found it laughable the F2002 was voted the best F1 car ever in the last issue. Peter Windsor is the most bias journalist I've ever come accross, he always finds a way to put TGF up on a podium (no pun intended...).
Old 17 May 2003, 08:18 (Ref:601620)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
I also found it laughable the F2002 was voted the best F1 car ever in the last issue...

Oh come on, get real......

Why is it that som many of the current racing journos seem to think the proverbial shines out of Herr S's nether regions? And that if a racing car is red and driven by said TGF it has to be the best there's ever been?